Graphics work LCDs

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by shavs, Sep 12, 2004.

1. shavs macrumors newbie

I need to get a new LCD thanks to crappy small dorm desks my gorgeous CRT has to go. I do a mix of illustration and photography work so the most important thing for me is colour accuracy and contrast, any reccomendations aside from the new apple ones? Preferably something with a VGA connector - 1st generation 12" PB here.

2. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

You're going to have a problem with VGA only... most Pro-level LCDs use DVI because its so much better... But you could look at Dell. They have some pretty nice LCDs, and even now LCD TVs in various sizes with a TV tuner built right in... perfect for a small dorm :)

3. Jo-Kun macrumors 6502a

My brother had the same problem when he got his reva 12" pb, only VGA... there is an option to turn vga into DVI or ADC... I think its from Dr Bott

whatever monitor you want to use, use a good calibrator to set it up properly, I did it with my 2 CRT's (Gretag Macbeth's EYE ONE) and even if you don't get them 100% it's allways better than Factory Settings

from what I've heared flatscreens give a little harder contrast than you will eventually get on print, but the colors can be adjusted for good results.

if you want a good flatscreen with VGA option (and DVI for later use when you upgrade to a new mac in a few years...) and that is good for colors: LaCie has their 19" & 20" ok its not cheap but they're good!

J

4. shavs thread starter macrumors newbie

The Lacie ones did attract my attention, might just go that route =)
    I'm familiar with the doctor bott VGA-ADC box and there are generic VGA-DVI ones that float around but in the end, it's the same as having a VGA plug on the scrren, no quality difference. Is annoying only having VGA but I'm not upgrading till I can get my paws on a G5 PB so it might be a while ;)