Graphics work LCDs

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by shavs, Sep 12, 2004.

1. shavs macrumors newbie

Jun 30, 2004
    I need to get a new LCD thanks to crappy small dorm desks my gorgeous CRT has to go. I do a mix of illustration and photography work so the most important thing for me is colour accuracy and contrast, any reccomendations aside from the new apple ones? Preferably something with a VGA connector - 1st generation 12" PB here.
  2. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

Dec 7, 2002
    Florida, USA
    You're going to have a problem with VGA only... most Pro-level LCDs use DVI because its so much better... But you could look at Dell. They have some pretty nice LCDs, and even now LCD TVs in various sizes with a TV tuner built right in... perfect for a small dorm :)
  3. Jo-Kun macrumors 6502a

Dec 20, 2003
    My brother had the same problem when he got his reva 12" pb, only VGA... there is an option to turn vga into DVI or ADC... I think its from Dr Bott

whatever monitor you want to use, use a good calibrator to set it up properly, I did it with my 2 CRT's (Gretag Macbeth's EYE ONE) and even if you don't get them 100% it's allways better than Factory Settings

from what I've heared flatscreens give a little harder contrast than you will eventually get on print, but the colors can be adjusted for good results.

if you want a good flatscreen with VGA option (and DVI for later use when you upgrade to a new mac in a few years...) and that is good for colors: LaCie has their 19" & 20" ok its not cheap but they're good!

4. shavs thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 30, 2004
    The Lacie ones did attract my attention, might just go that route =)
    I'm familiar with the doctor bott VGA-ADC box and there are generic VGA-DVI ones that float around but in the end, it's the same as having a VGA plug on the scrren, no quality difference. Is annoying only having VGA but I'm not upgrading till I can get my paws on a G5 PB so it might be a while ;)