Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

calyxman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 17, 2005
What's the best graphing calculator money can buy? Suppose I want all capabilities for all subjects--algebra, statistics, calculas, and so on.

I'm looking at HP's top model, the 50g, and I'm trying to compare to the TI-89 Titanium.

Any suggestions?

By the way, I'm not a college student; I am a math tutor. But I love math and I never had a graphing calculator in all my years of schooling.

SuperCompu2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2006
MA
the TI-83+ is a really great calculator, recommended by almost everyone I talk to. The TI-84 and 84+ is also a good unit, but is more expensive for only a slight memory upgrade.

I'd say go for a TI-83+

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
TI-83+ is pretty much the industry standard.

Go with that, or a TI-84, which had more memory, updated form factor, and is faster (but otherwise the same unit pretty much).

Fearless Leader

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2006
Hoosiertown
Having used the ti84+ for a while then having to use the schools ti83+ for a couple of test, i reilized its very limited, go for the 84+/silver edition and if you can aford 89+ its a real beast, but you realling dont need it unless you have some high end calculus or really high end stattistics. also if you like math alot like i do check out mathematica.

also i find the ti models used a lot more than any other brand.

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
I'm a big HP fan, I've still got my 11c from high school. When I went to college I got the 48g for it's graphing capabilities and I still use that one to this day.

One side benefit to the HPs, in addition to their superior notation, is that no one steals mine off my desk at work because no one else knows how to use it.

I haven't kept up on calculators lately, since mine has served me so well, but at the time I got mine HP was hands down the better calculator over TIs offering.

The only problem with HPs is that once you get used to them it can be difficult switching back to a regular calculator, although since I do use both kinds fairly regularly it's become less of a nuisance.

calyxman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 17, 2005
I'm really leaning towards the 50g for some reason. For one, I know HP has a reputation for sturdy construction with its calculators--sans the 49g. Also, the TI uses a slower processor compared to the HP (12 mhz vs 75 mhz).

Still a tough call. I know that the TI is a standard--though, then again so is MS Windows.

almightyshoe

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2006
B-Town, India
As someone who uses the Titanium, I can tell you that the HPs are fantastic calculators and are actually used in the real world. That being said, just about all colleges are Texas Instruments exclusive; the programs you need to program in will all be written in TIBasic, and on every test your HP calculator will be subject to extra scrutiny.

Also, keep in mind, if you're not an engineering major, don't waste your money on the TI-89, save the money. If you're electrical engineering, the 89 Titanium is your best friend; they have ECE programs built in that make your life so much easier.

Fearless Leader

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2006
Hoosiertown
calyxman said:
I'm really leaning towards the 50g for some reason. For one, I know HP has a reputation for sturdy construction with its calculators--sans the 49g. Also, the TI uses a slower processor compared to the HP (12 mhz vs 75 mhz).

Still a tough call. I know that the TI is a standard--though, then again so is MS Windows.

good point. (hops over to hp bandwagon)

mchendricks

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2002
Central Florida
I've had my HP 48SX for about 10 years. It does a great job and can accept various program cards. I currently have the statistics card and the formula equations card installed. These can be very useful in engineering and for the sciences, such as chemistry and physics.

Mike

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
I was required to have a TI-89 for Calculus my senior year of high school. My teacher had actually worked on the design of the calculator with TI (his name was in the manual). Anyway, now, as an electrical engineering student, it's even more valuable. Having used the TI-83, 84 and 86, I can honestly say that they simply don't compare to an 89. Especially if you're buying a graphing calculator because it interests you and you'd enjoy having one, go for an 89, or the top of the line HP. The Computer Algebra System and Pretty Print features of the TI-89 are really cool.

HP calculators feature RPN which I really don't like (yes I understand it and have used it extensively...still don't like it), so that may be a plus for you if you like RPN. I believe the current HPs can also use algebraic notation, and if that's true that makes them in some ways more versatile.

Neither is a bad choice, my main suggestion is to go for the top of the line model whether you get a TI or an HP.

wimic

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2006
calgary, alberta
calyxman said:
By the way, I'm not a college student; I am a math tutor. But I love math and I never had a graphing calculator in all my years of schooling.

I just graduated university... and to be quite honest - i bought a TI-83 plus when i was in highschool for AP math (first and second level university math) and i used my graphing calculator WAY more than i did in university.

it wasn't a result of me not studying in a technical program either, i studied civil engineering... lots of calculus, pde's, ode's etc. i would suggest a TI instead of a HP. perhaps i'm biased... but i've had some bad experiences with HP products.

One bit of advice I would offer though... don't overspend. find something that suits your needs. you can end up paying WAY too much for a calculator that you simply wont use half the options on.

either way... whatever you decide to go with ... happy mathing! :)

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
A coworker just showed me his HP 50G and I finally think I've seen a calculator that might make me consider giving up my HP 32S II and 42S. My wife bought a 33S to replace a dying 28C and it was lousy, but this was actually pretty decent.

Once you go RPN, there's no turning back...

B

Cameront9

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2006
Go for HP. Their calculators are fantastic, and RPN is the best invention since sliced bread.

As a bonus, nobody will want to borrow your calculator because it's "confusing."

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
I have the TI-86 and absolutely love it. Been using it since freshman year of highschool i believe. a hell of a lot of years. 7 years now i think

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.