Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

btorgerson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2013
I had a PowerMac G4 "Graphite" that had a DVD/CD drawer unlike any I've ever seen before. Instead of being a drawer that you set the disk on top of, it had what I can only describe as a 'plastic prong' that came out with a slot that you could feed the disc into. Once you pushed the disc in far enough it would retract back in taking the disc with it.

Anyone ever see one of these? As far as I can remember, all of the other G4's that I have ever used had a standard tray.

archtopshop

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2011
I had a PowerMac G4 "Graphite" that had a DVD/CD drawer unlike any I've ever seen before. Instead of being a drawer that you set the disk on top of, it had what I can only describe as a 'plastic prong' that came out with a slot that you could feed the disc into. Once you pushed the disc in far enough it would retract back in taking the disc with it.

Anyone ever see one of these? As far as I can remember, all of the other G4's that I have ever used had a standard tray.

DVD-RAM drive. It will write 2.6GB and 5.2GB DVD-RAM disks that are installed in Type 1 or Type 2 cartridges. It can also read CD and DVD disks without using a cartridge, in the manner you describe, but cannot write to them.

archtopshop

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2011
I can also add they were a factory add-on for the original G4's, and I think, the blue G3 towers. The first generation drives could only write the 2.6 GB and 5.2 GB (double sided) disks. The second generation drives, introduced with the Gigabit Ethernet G4's, could read the 4.7 GB and 9.4 GB (double sided) disks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.