Graphite iMac Problems!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by LimeiBook86, Jun 10, 2002.

1. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

I brought my iMac for $794 at the CompUSA in New Jersey near the Freehold Raceway Mall. It is a 500mhz, Graphite iMac with a DVD-ROM drive and 128mb of ram with a 30 GB hard drive. Now there are two iMacs left for $499 each at the CompUSA. now the problem is that sometimes the screen doesn't show up when you start up the computer. After restarting and shuting it down about 15 times it started up perfectly. I then installed Mac OS 9.2 and Mac OS X (10.1) The iMac originaly had System 9.0.1. Well after that we moved it to our summer house. But the problem happened agian there. But then it started up. After our weekend at the house we brought it back home to our main house. Now it seems when ever we move the iMac the screen dopesn't want to turn on. So when we got home last night. I turned the iMac on and it happened agian. Th escreen wouldn't show! So I hooked up my old Apple 17 inch display to the back of my iMac. Now when I started up the iMac the screen showed on the external display only. So when the screen was up I went to the Display Pane in the System Prefrences window and changed the resolution to a bigger size. The external screen changed but the iMac screen was still dead balck. So I tried to put the resoulution ack and the computer UNEXPECTEDLY SHUTS DOWN! I tried to start it up from the Mac (since the Pro keyboard doesn't have a power button) when I pressed the button it blinked but then went off, pressed it agian and the same thing happend. I un-hooked the external display. then I un-pluged it twice (the iMacs power wire)and then it started up, I clciked the mouse button despretly for the iMac to turn on. It did with the screen and all! Now I am typing this to you to see if I should leave my Mac home or return it to COMPUSA (I have a 3 year warenty with the iMac there) or should I call Apple about it and get it fixed. I fI return it to COMPUSA I fear that I wouldn't be able to get a great iMac for the same price! with a DVD player. I see Apple has my same iMac on sale but without a DVD player! What should I do? Sould I keep it and put up with the problem, I have decided to ask you guys first. Any Help!?

2. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Funky stuff! If I were you, I wouldn't settle for that; I'd return it.

3. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

How long ago did you get this iMac??? You say you have a 3 year warranty with [in]compusa, is that an Applecare protection plan, or one of compusa rip-off plans?? If you purchased, and registered it with Apple, less then a year ago, call Apple about it. If you have Applecare, call Apple, if not, I have the feeling you are probably screwed.

The warranty plans that [in]compusa offers for computers (especially Mac's) is a major rip off. They make it sound like such a good deal, but in cases like yours it's not. Applecare on the other hand, gives you free repairs for the full three years, where you just bring it to an AASP (Apple Authorized Service Provider) or have one of them come to your home to do the repair.

How long has the screen been acting up?? Is this a very recent happening, or was it always like that? Have you tried zapping the PRAM?? How about booting into open firmware and resetting it?

4. LimeiBook86 thread starter macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

It was a USED demo model at comp usa, I got it last friday, i don't want to mess with it, like zapping the pram, my dad will call apple about it, we have a 3 year warenty with comp usa, the warenty was about 300 bucks, the imac would only be about 500 with out it, but they refused to give us the imac without the warenty. They said they had a guy coming back screaming about that there was something wrong with a computer he bought, so i guess from now on they have to have warentys. I would try and get it fixed by apple, but if they can't fix it i will saidly have to return it, they sell iMacs just like mine but without a DVD drive, this sucks. We should have tried the computer out at CompUSA and exchanged it for a different one, this is so confusing!:eek: :rolleyes: :confused:

5. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Sorry to say, but dude, you got ripped... $300 for a crapusa warranty is a shafting (sans lubrication too). Considering what one from Apple goes for $150 and provides REAL support. I seriously doubt you will get anywhere with Apple, since you don't have one of the protection plans. For $800 you can get the Graphite Classic iMac, ($950 with protection for three full years), with 100% support from Apple.

At this point, you have NOTHING to loose from zapping the PRAM or resetting the open firmware. Chances are that Apple will tell you to do both of those anyway. Zapping PRAM will not F-up your computer. Worst case, after all else fails, you could located the PMU/CUDA reset button on the motherboard (to the right of the memory chips when you have it flipped upside down and have the screen pointed away from you). Hold it for 15-30 seconds and release it.

6. LimeiBook86 thread starter macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

ok...

Well we will call Apple, talk to the guys at CompUSA, and if all else fails I'll return my poor little iMac....... :( But maybe I can get a new iMac that will make me happy! :D

7. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Dude...

Try opening up the computer and making sure the monitor cable is connected.

8. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Re: Dude...

The newer G3 iMac's don't have video cables like the old ones did. Now there is a board that connects the motherboard to the CRT. I would not suggest that anyone that is not certified go near that. CRT's hold a charge long after they are powered off and unplugged... a potentially lethal charge at that.

It very well could be a faulty video/analog/power board, which is what controls the CRT among other things.

9. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Oh....

Well, I guess my 333MHz iMac doesn't classify as the "newer ones" ;)

10. LimeiBook86 thread starter macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

11. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Re: Oh....

You got it Sparky... From the 350MHz forward they used a different design.

12. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Re: :D

So, what are you getting to replace it?? Getting one from Apple or what???

13. LimeiBook86 thread starter macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

to replace my little iMac!?

I dunno... to replace it....well i was lookin at a G3 Tower at www.macofalltrades.com, it came with a 17'' screen, it had a DVD and ZIP, looked good for me!

14. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

One, fix the link/url you put up, remove the "," from it :rolleyes:

Two, you won't be happy with an old G3 tower. Especially if you intend to run OS X, now and for some time. You max out at 1GB of memory and there are bottlenecks all over the place, if you were to ever try and go to a G4 chip in it. You would be MUCH better off getting a G4 AGP motherboard model (sawtooth motherboard or newer).

I would really suggest checking to see who is clearing out the current lineup of G4 towers right after MWNY. Chances are you can get the lower one for at least a few hundred less. You might want to check online ads, you could find better bargain there. Me VERY careful about the system if you get it from someone though. Ask for at least the first half of the serial number, if not the entire thing. You can get the system age that way, and know you won't get screwed. The numbers tell you when it was made, the first number is the manufacture year (2=2002) then the two following that give the manufactured week (16=16th week) so XX216XXXXXX would be a system made in the last week of April in 2002.

With the full serial number, you should be able to contact Apple and find out if there is an AppleCare policy on the system. Especially if the seller claims there is one. The policy moves with the computer, not the owner.