Grateful Dead on iTunes

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, Mar 18, 2004.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

RockyMountainNews.com reports that the Grateful Dead are in the process of placing their entire archive of live music on iTunes:

2. macrumors 6502a

Trowaman

I think only one word, a word very often associated with Apple can describe this and that word is . . .

"cool." :cool:

besides that, is Napster or anyone else getting the goods as well?

3. macrumors Core

MacNut

Great, now if we can only get the Beatles on iTunes

4. macrumors regular

now only if downloads could be >128kbps...

i'm all for iTunes, but i can get new CD's at best buy on new-music-tuesdays for $7.99 a piece. then i can rip them however i see fit.

5. macrumors 601

stoid

:eek: What new product is this?!? I-Tunes? Does that mean new PowerBooks this Tuesday?! :p I can't wait for Steve to tell us about this new I-Tunes and whether it will run on my MAC!!!

:rolleyes:

6. mvc
    macrumors 6502a

mvc

Before or after they finish suing Apple? :rolleyes:

7. BKB
    macrumors newbie

You can rip iTunes purchased music as you see fit also.

8. macrumors member

Yes I would hope The Dead make sure that the music is a higher bit rate than 128.
    Also this kinda sucks for those of us in Canada where we can't use the iTunes store.... :(

9. macrumors 6502a

exactly, give us a choice between 128AAC and FLAC files so we can have uncompressed files. then i'd actually buy song from the store instead of just getting a couple of free ones becuase of pepsi

Tyler

10. macrumors regular

hey dont tell everyone. but that is what i do.i got all my friends cds and now i got 4000 song in one week. all aac with no fair play crap :D

11. macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

the reason you can do this is BECAUSE of the new digital age of music. there was a time a very short while ago when $11.99 was a great price for a new release at Best Buy.

12. macrumors 6502a

Some_Big_Spoon

You can, yes, but then you're getting a ripped rip, as it were. The quality, while "good enough" for most, is not getting the CD quality.

Here's my feeling.. You go to itunes, you know what you're getting into. It's not the CD, it's got DRM, it's iPod-centric.. if you don't like it, then you've got options.

I'm not saying that I'm not 150% in favor of better quality, less restrictions, etc., but cavet emptor.

13. macrumors newbie

Origins of the Internet as we know it...

Although not a big fan of their music, the GD were one of the big drawing points of the well, an early portal on the Internet.

http://www.well.com/aboutwell.html

Here's hoping that thier draw to iTunes is as big as their draw to early Internet pioneers was.

Brian

14. macrumors member

15. macrumors 6502a

jbrown

Well boys and girls......

Looks like this puts us right back on track for the ol' magic 100 million mark ---- saved by the Deadheads!!! Come on you Deadheads! :D :D

16. big
    macrumors 65816

big

all my music is starting to have pops and crackles in it, just in the last few days... I am rilly pissed, of course none of the music I bought has this issue... anyone else?

17. macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    Shortly after Steve announces the entire Grateful Dead catalogue availabilty, he'd better make sure he announces they are also available on the Europe iTMS ....

Grrr ... :mad: He better ....

18. macrumors regular

where do these people come from who vote this as NEGATIVE ?
    it may not be everyone's taste of music, but is in this case MORE not equal to BETTER ? :)

19. macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

Some people are reporting this after updating to 10.3.3.
    Some of my ripped dvd's do it in QuickTime, so I've gone back to VLC.

AppleMatt

20. macrumors G5

nagromme

Hopefully you are joking

If not... congratulations on taking the creative work of other people without compensating them for their work and art that you enjoy. I guess all that matters is not getting caught... so why do the right thing?

21. macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    dead heads will be happy, but then again most dead heads like to listen to it in pristine surroundings...maybe its for dead heads on the go :D

22. macrumors regular

Others to follow?

I hope the Dead make a killing with this, and will push other groups to release huge catalogs of live stuff via iTunes. Just think if you could get all the live recorded Pearl Jam stuff. :D

23. macrumors regular

My brother is a 'deadhead', therefore he has quite a collection of bootleg tapes. None of those tapes are at the quality the Itunes songs will be at, remember this will be from the GD, not from someones walkman plugged into a soundboard.

Also, the news scoop said all thier "live" music, which of course is the best :)

24. macrumors regular

jcshas

I'm not a dead head, but I think this is big news, isnt it?

25. macrumors member

Very cool. Finally, the greatest rock and roll band of all time on iTunes. And a lot of material to boot!

My opinion on this, as I appear to be the resident MacRumors Deadhead:

BIG DEAL. This is not going to send any ripples through the Dead community, other than "oh...good for them". I'll show you why:

http://bt.etree.org

A massive amount of Dead shows, all distributed LEGALLY, in lossless FLAC or SHN at full-res.

I would be interested in studio albums at iTunes prices, but I like to have the artifact, not just the file. And as things stand, CD's sound better on a CD player than through your computer. Deadheads and audiophilia often go hand in hand. This will be great for college students driving Jeep Cherokee's with a Dave Matthews Band sticker on the back, but I think that's about it.