GRAW: worth buying if I'm not a fan of previous Ghost Recon games?

Discussion in 'Games' started by zero2dash, Nov 13, 2006.

1. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

GRAW has gotten excellent reviews, and I've heard the game is great. I thought about picking it up when I bought a 360 over the weekend (with my Wii money but that's another story altogether) but I didn't like the other Ghost Recon game that I've played (the first one).

How is GRAW in terms of Ghost Recon? Is it more "new" or is it a similar formula? I could never figure out what I was doing or what I was supposed to do in the original Ghost Recon. Despite this, should I still pick up GRAW?

2. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

it's the best first person shooter game i ever played, and i played nearly all edition of tom clancy's

but it's on PC tho, i liked the 360 edition, not AS much

3. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

I didn't think it was anything over on the 360. Far too complicated. Graphics are nice tho.

4. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

i liked the thing about graw (in PC version, anyway) is that you aren't really restricted to this path they set for you, there are so many ways you can go about doing this missions

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

My god THIS GAME OWNS THE 360.....

i'm not a huge fan of squad based shooter normally and stuff but my god I fell in love with this.

Single player is tough, but amazing.
    Multi-Player has THE BEST online games of all the 360 titles I own...

Get the cheap best of edition that is released soon, it has all the extra expansion packs and is cheaper too....

VERY recommended...

6. GaseousPlatypus macrumors member

It's extremely visceral and has relly high production values -- I felt like I was playing a movie. It's extremely enjoyable, if you like a challenge (but not frustratingly so).

7. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

I agree with Comrade MRU... a good challenging single player, and amazing online. Definiately a must-own for the 360 IMO.

8. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

I agree with MRU however if you didn't like the ones before I see it very difficult to change your opinion this late in the game. but my opinion - its a must own for anybody that likes shooters...they reduced the recoil effect from shooting which I know was a big drawback for some people.

9. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

well i never liked the first 2 and the subsequent expansions of both of them... but this plays a lot different to those. its a bit more arcadey I guess, but still keeping the concept of squad and team work at the forefront, especially online with co-op missions etc...

10. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

ok, what the hell is with all the communist avatars and russian writing on MR?! Did everyone decide that the Czar needs to be overthrown and the revolution needs to start again?

11. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

помните помнят 7-ого ноября ;)

О Ленине и Троцком нельзя забывать.

Свобода прибывает от революции...

12. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I dont care about the revolution, or lenin !

You do know that that 'communist' Russian is repsonsible for upwards of 100,000,000 deaths right? :p

Not something to be proud of 'comrade' ;)

13. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

Actually its closer to about 65million and even then thats including about 27million that died in ww2

14. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

i'll take some english translation?

15. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

oh well if it is only 65 million.... :rolleyes:

16. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I played the original Ghost Recon on XBox and really didn't like it. I'm not sure what I didn't like and why it didn't capture me, maybe it was too hard at the time for me.

Because of that, I was very apprehensive about GRAW for the 360. I heard it was great so I rented it first. No doubt, this is one of the best games I have played. The levels are beautiful, it's the first that I completely forgot about graphics because everything looked perfect. Once you get the controls, they feel very natural and really allow you to command your team.

There are two demos on the Live marketplace, one for single player and one for multiplayer. Try them out, you will tell by them if you will like the game or not.

17. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

The online is NOTHING compared to the likes of BF2:MC or CoD2/3

18. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

I thought the 360 version of MF2 was an absolute joke TBH. CoD2/3 is great, but in a totally different way - more hectic, less tactics.
    Both have their appeal... which is why both (well, all three really) are essential purchases :D

19. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I think thats rubbish...

It's far more skilled and superior than BF2:MC or COD2 on the 360 which are just frag fests period.

20. ericsthename macrumors regular

To answer the question at hand:

When it came to the original Ghost Recon for XBOX, I didn't even play through the training mission before I turned it off. Not because there was any inherent flaw in the game, it just didn't captivate me in any particular way.

Much like several others, I was apprehensive in my purchase of GRAW for the 360, but during one of the great gaming droughts that the 360 saw this summer/early fall, I finally broke down and purchased the game.

To be brutally honest, I enjoyed this game but not as much as I enjoyed other games in its rating category (games like oblivion and GOW). The graphics and gameplay are quite polished, however certain glitches kept perturbing me throughout the campaign. For instance, when commando crawling through certain areas with debris or what-have-you, your character rebukes his crawl and assumes a certain form of angelic floating, mixed with some epileptic seizures.

In GRAW this means that you will most likely get hit a couple times and be unable to get through the enormously long checkpoints as a result. BUT, on the whole, it stands that this game is better than 90% of games out for 360 currently, and as a result is guaranteed entertainment. I guess the real question is whether or not you can justify the price. I don't regret buying this game, and I played it all the way through, but with the abundance of games out now for the 360 that better suit my tastes I don't know if I would buy it again.