Gray box of death

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DaiKirai, Apr 16, 2005.

1. DaiKirai macrumors member

Jan 17, 2005
    Been loving my new Mac Mini, but every once in a while things will freeze and a gray box will pop up in the center of the screen, telling me "You need to restart your computer. Please hold down the Power button..." without offering an explanation.

I can live with this, as long as it's only occasional (happened twice so far), but what the heck is it? Just the OS X equivalent of the BSOD or the kernel panic?
  2. tech4all macrumors 68040

Jun 13, 2004
    How often do you get these? I know you said every once in a while, but like 1/day, 2/day, 1/week? And yes this is a Kernel Panic. If you get them often it may be due to bad hardware, like RAM or something.
  3. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

Oct 24, 2003
    Tucson AZ
  4. DaiKirai thread starter macrumors member

Jan 17, 2005
    The last one was an hour ago. I think the one before that was in early March or late February.
  5. me_94501 macrumors 65816

Jan 6, 2003
    It doesn't seem like it's happening too frequently, so it likely isn't anything too serious. But if you want, look inside the Library folder on the root level of the hard drive for the Logs folder. Look for the Panic.log file, zip it, and attach it to a post so people can take a look at it.