Grayscale November Desktops

Discussion in 'Community' started by shadowfax, Oct 31, 2003.

1. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

As per the move of some recent members (including myself) to grayscale avatars, i was just thinking that we should all "go grayscale" for November, as we approach that colorless season of winter.

so change your 'tar to grayscale if you have one, set your theme to Graphite, make your icons grayscale,* pop a black and white image on your background, and post your screengrab!

*don't worry about this one if you're too darn lazy.

note: this is not the November desktops thread, i'm not trying to cheat or anything. i thought i'd give you guys a 1 day heads up so you'd have time to change everything up on your desktops if you want to give this a shot. for some of you (if you want to be really comprehensive about it), this can take awhile.

down with colors!

2. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

funny thing...I switched to a grayscale image just the other day... ;)

Attached Files:

3. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I really like that, it has a sort of deeper meaning to it between the "unknown" gravestones and the grayness of the picture.

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I can't be asked to convert my images to grayscale, so I just photoshoped my screen cap to grayscale quick, just for you! ;) :D

[​IMG]

5. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

thanker...

it's at Arlington National Cemetery...first day of Geek Fest DC actually...after a BIG filling lunch... :D

6. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Nice photo eyelikeart. Do you know if that is part of the unknown soldier monument? Didn't realize that there were other unmarked graves at Arlington.

What did you have for lunch that was filling at Geek Fest eyelikeart?

Your are correct shadowfax, November is one of the darker months. Here in New England on average we only get 50% of the possible sun this month. Actually the best treatment for the darkness is light. Color helps to brighten a persons mood.

7. pyrotoaster macrumors 65816

pyrotoaster

8. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

cool idea. gives me an excuse to play with the quartz filters in the print pane, which didn't work as well as using the Universal Access system pref. i used jp2, so you need QT 6.4 and Safari :)

9. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

dammit.

-nt-

Attached Files:

10. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

wow, thats weird.. yesterday i changed all images in my forums to graphite, and was thinking about changing my avatar to match...

http://www.sininc.org/phpBB2/

great minds must think alike...

11. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

hot DAMN. getting a screenshot to fall within the forum size restriction is HARD when its black and white.

12. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

There's a ton of "Unknown" tombstones at Arlington...it's quite beautiful & overwhelming to see it all.

Mr. A & I had lunch at Chipotle prior to our first bit of photo taking. We had some huge burritos! :D

13. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

November... with a X-mas look

an idea from my son.

Attached Files:

14. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Now that the forums are working along with my school network, I can finally post my screen shot. (And yeah, it really is harder to meet the file size limit with B&W for some reason)

Attached Files:

15. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

to all you having problems fitting them in here... try www.macsnaps.com

[​IMG]

sorry i couldn't get mine in earlier, the forums went down literally a minute after i posted this thread.

16. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

here's one more, just 'cos it's a classic :D

[​IMG]

still looks nice in B&W ;)

17. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Two very nice choices shadowfax! ;) I don't know if I'm still confused, but that looks like Rena to my memory. She is just stunning, hard to come up with the correct words.

18. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

yeah, the second one is the fullsize of my "blue" 'tar. the original rena 'tar, really the best one IMO. the first pic is actually Zhang Ziyi in a Maybelline ad, i think. her eyes just looked nice in it, i thought.

19. King Cobra macrumors 603

Shadow, I'm having trouble trying to load images from your signature. The thumbs show up fine, but the full size image loads suddenly terminate at around 50KB.

The grayscale theme has been running rampid lately, perhaps because of the many users of Panther, mostly brushed up, feel inspired by the lack of color from Apple's brushed metal. Anyways, my desktop, which has stood unchanged on my computer screen for a couple of months now, is here:

http://geocities.com/andrejfavia/desktops/desktops.html

EDIT:
    All right, everyone. Ready to trip out? View this thread again from the start, but first go to System Preference > Universal Access > [Click on Switch to White on Black] :eek: :eek:

20. DreaminDirector macrumors 6502a

DreaminDirector

Finally, I get to post a desktop that fits into the category...

p.s. hey Shadowfax, what is the little menubar uptime app that you have called? It looks really cool.

Attached Files:

21. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

22. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

erm, maradong is hosting it on his webspace, and it turns out that the host server is moving locations for some reason or other, so it's having some various trouble (namely slow speeds) as they tansition it to the new site. sorry. i know it's annoying.

23. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Nice to see that it works just as well in gray scale. I could not tolerate that desktop for only short periods of time. A little nausea creeps in!

24. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

please forgive my overwhelming dual monitors ;)

Oh yeah take a look at the names for 'Internet Explorer' and the 'Recycling Bin'

:D :cool: ;) :p

Attached Files:

25. Winston Smith macrumors regular

King Cobras idea really works: Universal access-white on black.

Eyelikearts really takes on new meaning like this and the trip on Mr Macmans is evn greater!