Great AppleStore Experience/Bad Phone Experience

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by aricher, Jun 23, 2004.

1. macrumors 68020

Feb 20, 2004
    I've been having serious problems with my 40 GB iPod that I bought in November - menus freezing, songs skipping and button inactivity. I tried reformatting it several times - running disk tools, etc - nothing could fix it. Since my iPod was still under the 1 yr warranty I took it into the local AppleStore, brought it to the "Genius"/repair counter told the "Genius" my problems, he looked at it, reached into a drawer and produced a brand new in-box iPod for me. Now that's what I call customer service!

On the other hand, I had a somewhat annoying Apple customer service experience last Friday. I got a call at home around 6 pm CDT from an Apple sales rep. They saw that I had reigstered my (and my wife's) iPods but had not purchased AppleCare. he tried and tried to sell me on AppleCare for the iPods. I just kept shooting him down - "You know, a battery replacement itself pays for the service." he said "Well," I said, "I replaced the one in my 5 GB iPod myself for less than the cost of AppleCare so why would I want it?" Silence. He then tried to sell me on the "piece of mind" aspect. He told me that he saw I have my PowerBook covered and have used AppleCare twice since December. I explained that the PowerBook is a different animal from the iPod and that I had no desire to get the AppleCare for the iPod. He then asked if I'd be willing to do a short phone survey - I told him I didn't have the time but thanks for the call.

Oh well, he was just doing his job.