great battery life with cellular data turned off

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aleni, Aug 23, 2010.

1. macrumors 68000

i just notice when i'm at home, i only use wifi, so i disable 3G but the edge symbol is still appear, i don't need it and i just found out the setting to turn it off totally.

i didn't realize that the setting is there. is it iOS4 only?

my iPhone 4 has a better battery life than before, i can touch 7-7.30 hours of quite heavy usage including playing 3D games like gangstar and assasin creed.

it can reach to 8.5-9hours without playing 3d games but heavy use on youtube, browsing and listening to music.

my setting is brightness 60% with auto brightness turned on, 3G off, cellular data off, wifi on, location service on, notification on, mail set to fetch hourly.

[​IMG]

2. macrumors 65816

esadb

With cellular data off you do know you cant receive MMS right?

3. macrumors 68040

Pressure

Well, it is pretty well-known that 3G networks use more power than their 2G brethren.

Nothing new here.

Edge is a 2G technology, so you are getting edge data at least (if you hadn't turned off Cellular data).

4. macrumors member

I have noticed the same thing. I knew that it would save batt life but I wasn't expecting 6 hours of usage and still 50% left. I notice when I'm in an area that has bad reception, batt life decreases significantly. Should it make a difference? Guess it needs more power to transmit cellular data with low reception??

5. macrumors 68000

You will find that even with 3G and data turned on, battery life will still be pretty good at home because you are using wifi which uses less power anyway.

I did what you are doing but it got to be a pain after a while and now I just leave everthing turned on. It's much easier to throw the phone onto a charger rather than having to remember to turn things on and off.

6. macrumors 6502a

Looon

This isn't new. Also if your IPhone has to search for a signal constantly that uses a lot of battery.

7. macrumors 68000

eng42ine

Or sms..

8. macrumors member

And my car doesn't use much fuel when I turn off the engine... What's the point of owning a smartphone without data?

9. g35
    macrumors 6502

Yes you can. SMS works.

10. thread starter macrumors 68000

who the hell use mms these days??

about sms, it's working just fine.

11. thread starter macrumors 68000

i said when i was at home where i don't need data from cellular because i use wifi, which is faster.

i turned it back on when i'm in area that has no wifi.

12. macrumors 6502

you get even better battery time if you turn everything off :rolleyes:

13. thread starter macrumors 68000

ease up man, do you turn on your car's lamp at noon?

14. macrumors regular

If im in a parking garage I might.

15. macrumors 601

sammich

Having your headlights on during the day reduces the likelihood of a crash happening.

16. macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Yep, and when I turn everything off including my iPhone 4 I can last for days on a single charge, however I can not:

Make a call
    use it for an ipod
    send MMS or SMS
    can't take pictures or video

Basically I am restriceted to doing nothing at all

No thanks, I will carry a charger around and use my iPhone 4 as Steve told me I should just use it and have fun

17. macrumors 6502a

My mom uses mms because she has a flip phone. Not everyone emails pics from one phone to another phone, it's easier using mms. Quick and efficient.

18. macrumors 65816

Rooskibar03

19. thread starter macrumors 68000

if i was outside my home and have no wifi around, i turned the cellular data on. does it
    make any difference than your opinion?