GREAT deal on iBook RAM?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by lacrossegoalie4, Dec 24, 2004.

1. lacrossegoalie4 macrumors member

I made a mistake with the original post.... but here's a link for a good deal anyway :~)

1 GB SO-DIMM for $159.99

Have a good holiday!

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

As long as people keep posting this same link, I'll keep pointing out that this $160 marvel is no-name RAM with a 1 year warranty, not a lifetime warranty. It uses TSOP chips and so is not the modern low-power-drain design you get with Samsung, Siemens or Nanya modules. It is also physically thicker than current modules constructed with MBGA chips. Although other macrumorites have reported success with this RAM, it is not guaranteed by the seller to work in a Mac.

3. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

4. Jdm_rsx macrumors 6502

canada i totally agree with you on that

i rather spend a little more for lifetime warranty..

then again thats just my opinion and me...thinking... = )

if not ebay.com has some good deals as well

newegg, zipzoomfly as well

great places to rely on and compusa has some for 250 as well..not sure on the brand..

5. maya macrumors 68040

maya

IMHO, LifeTime warranties are a joke, in the Tech Business there is no way of knowing if a company will stay a life time of any given product they sell now let alone if you might actually use it or if they have moved or closed shop. In the end you are paying for false security.

Plus many places require you to have the original receipt and how many people actually do this after the first year let alone what other condition will change over the course of the companies history may be you will have to pay to ship it to the company and so on.

Then again its your money as long as it works for over a year to 5 years I am quite pleased as at the rate of technology what we have today is obsolete in no time flat in the coming months. :)

6. Jdm_rsx macrumors 6502

oh NO!
    MAYA strikes again....

EVERYBODY RUN!!!!

maya will convince you to buy a ibook over pbook...and will include 10000000000000 reasons with it

just like the ram...

:eek: :eek:

7. neonart macrumors 65816

neonart

What does that mean in English (or Spanish)?

Where can we find these specs? In real world use, why is this RAM inferior? I just would like to know since this is such s great deal and most of these products will last for ever if they last 1 year.

Thanks.

8. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Well my iBook hasn't complained... and as long as she's happy... I'm happy. :D

9. KevRC4130 macrumors 6502

I got this ram for christmas, and I just installed it about an hour ago. My powerbook 1.33 is very happy and things are running smoother than ever. No crashing or anything with the install, it seems to be working just fine :)

10. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Nice to hear, I got mine on Dec.7 and everything is good also. So nice to have the ram maxed out and not think should I add more :cool:
    Enjoy

11. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

There are no specs on the Fry's/Outpost site: They also don't tell you the manufacturer or the warranty terms. Outpost.com website seems to be down at the moment, but I recall you have to send snail-mail to Fry's in order to get a copy of the warranty terms.

You can tell the chip construction by looking at the photo. TSOP chips are about 1" x .375", with visible solder leads. MBGA (Micro Ball Grid Array) chips are about .375" square and have no visible leads; they are also a slimmer profile. Because the Fry's photo shows 4 chips on one side, there has to be 4 on the other side as well. MBGA can have 8 chips in the same space as 4 TSOP chips. The difference is that the MBGA chips will run cooler and waste less power, and the module can be smaller.

There is no way to predict whether you'll need the warranty or not, or ultimately what the quality of the individual chip is. I can generalize and say that the cheapest chips are by definition the ones with the lowest quality control.

Undoubtedly, infant mortality on components is by far the largest percentage of failures. But we do replace RAM that is 2, 3, 4 and 5 years old. For that small group of customers, they are very happy to have a longer warranty.

Maya> re: lifetime warranties: There's a reasonable chance that a lifetime warranty from a reputable seller will be worth something in year 2 and beyond. For example, we have been in business for 16 years, Data Memory Systems for 17. With a one year warranty you are sure to be on your own after 365 days.

Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com

12. neonart macrumors 65816

neonart

I was looking to update the RAM and the HD on my Powerbook 12" 1GHz. I wanted to keep the Budget around $200-250. I ended up getting KingMax PC2100 512MB ($77) and a 60GB Hitachi 7200RPM drive($140).

I figured that the RAM was something I could always upgrade again 15 times if I wanted to, but the HD I only want to do one time. Hopefully RAM prices will continue to drop and some months later 1GB laptop ram will be below the $100 mark. If that happens then I'll do the final jump.

13. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

Didn't you see the previous post?

Kingston RAM, and very reasonably priced too :)

14. natebg macrumors newbie

Does anybody know if the 1GB stick shown here from DataMem and here (the DM50 155-1) is the MBGA chips?
    It is guaranteed to work with a Lifetime Memory Replacement Guarantee. This will be for my 17" 1.5 Powerbook.
    Thanks

15. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

I think I mentioned in my post that the Outpost site was down so no, I didn't get to the link provided. Since there was no other detail I couldn't tell what the poster was pointing to.

My response was to the original poster's 1 Gb SODIMM question. In answer to Nameless' question, I don't think a 512 Mb SODIMM will do for someone who is looking for a 1 Gb.

The 512 MB is Kingston alright, but it is Kingston generic (Kingston ValueRAM) so it is not guaranteed by Kingston to work in a Mac. It might, of course. It is also TSOP construction rather than MBGA.

>>natebg: Does anybody know if the 1GB stick shown here from DataMem and here (the DM50 155-1) is the MBGA chips?

Yes the Data Memory Systems 1 Gb DM50 155-1 and DM50 155-2 use MBGA chips and will work well in a new 17" AlBook. The -1 uses Siemens chips and the -2 is Nanya chips, if I remember correctly. For older AlBooks, choose the -2 model.

Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com

16. natebg macrumors newbie

CanadaRAM, thanks...looks like I will be going with 2 of the datamem module DM50 155-1 for my 17" 1.5 AL PB. Whoo hoo 2GB ram, I can't wait!