Great deal on refurbed eMacs at Apple store

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by madmaxmedia, Nov 4, 2004.

1. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

Hi,

Just wanted to let everyone know that Apple is selling refurbed 1 Ghz eMacs for only $549 with CD-ROM and $529 without CD-ROM.

Note that these eMacs are the 2004 models- USB 2.0, DDR RAM, 167 Mhz bus, Radeon 9200 graphics card. It's not 64-bit, but it will do Quartz Extreme and seems to be a pretty good performer for me so far.

The CD-ROM can be swapped out for a DVD-burner for pretty cheap (I bought a compatible Sony 4x burner for $50). Info on doing this here. Note that his page is for the 2003 eMac, so not everything applies exactly. But replacing the optical drive is the same.

For the really brave, the CPU can be overclocked to 1.25 Ghz (or even higher), to completely match the new models that are sold for much higher (not that you necessarily need to.)

Thanks,
    Steve (new eMac owner)

2. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

Thats a good deal, my friend is in the market for a desktop that he can do MS Office/watch movies and download odd stuff (movies/games) and other internet "stuff" and i think this is a great deal for him. I will email him with this info :) thanks for the post.

3. madmaxmedia thread starter macrumors 68030

4. sigamy macrumors 65816

5. madmaxmedia thread starter macrumors 68030

According to this page, it's easy to get it to work with iDVD, iTunes, etc.-

http://www.lbodnar.dsl.pipex.com/eMac/eMac-upgrade.html

I bought the exact same drive on EBay for $50 (refurbished but looks brand new, just like my eMac.)

I made the necessary changes, but haven't burned anything yet. Regular reading works fine.

I can burn something and post back.

6. kbonnel macrumors 6502

You could also check out xlr8yourmac.com and learn about all the different DVD drives that work with Macs (whether they are apple approved, or require a hacked driver)

I purchased an apple oem pioneer from macsales.com and it works great in my mom's G4.

Kimo