Great Music!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Mr Skills, Apr 8, 2006.

1. Mr Skills macrumors 6502a

Mr Skills

Hello,

I'm a long time reader and occasional contributor to these forums and a full-on Mac zealot :D

I just thought you might like to hear my band's music, all done in Logic, of course! THe mixes run live in Logic Pro 7.2 on a Dual 2.5 G5. It's at www.myspace.com/templescene

Love to hear what you think!

2. Mr Skills thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mr Skills

By the way, please feel free to add yourself as a friend if you like it... We don't gig at the moment so we want to build up on myspace to promote ourselves.

3. cyberddot macrumors 6502

cyberddot

Kick Azz! Nice job. Sounds like a commercial release to me!

4. Mr Skills thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mr Skills

Fantastic! Cyberddot - that was our official first ever non-family/friend opinion :) Thanks! Go and add yourself. I've been sending add requests to lots of random people all afternoon. I feel like a horrible spammer, but we have to be active...

5. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

cool stuff. I added you, im in The New Republic (see sig.). Keep it up the good work. :)

6. Mr Skills thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mr Skills

Thanks! We've got 20 friends now. I recon we need about 20,000 :eek:

7. amateurmacfreak macrumors 6502a

amateurmacfreak

8. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Good job man....keep em coming....should i add u? will u stalk me?...na im kidding.

Bless

9. Mr Skills thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mr Skills

LOL, I just left a message on your page saying "oh look, you're into Macs too" ... I didn't realise you were from MacRumors :)

10. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Very Impressive.

I have a tiny tiny tiny bit of constructive criticism. My only qualm, and it's a small one, is that y'all sound a little bit too predictable. That's from the two selections I heard, so that might not be the case for Temple Scene as a whole. But you might try to broaden your influences. If you're looking to get noticed, you have to do something to separate yourself from the mainstream.

I guess some wouldn't want you to change it up from where you have it now. The music, the arrangements, and the vocals are very well placed. My issue is that they are kind of predictably placed.

There's a lot you can do to make your music more memorable and to make it stand out more. For example, at a Sitar player to the group! Random? Yes. Effective? If done right. Another option, just change the arrangements of your vocals in an unexpected way. Keane is a good example of this. Musically, they sound like Coldplay, and you do too, a little bit. They separate themselves from Coldplay and from the mainstream by having songs that crescendo beautifully. Look at their example song on myspace, This is the Last Time, it has booming vocals at the end, which people love.

I think y'all are superb, I can't wait to hear more. But I encourage you to do something a little more memorable, something that would grab my attention and make me think about the music I was listening to.

e

11. Mr Skills thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mr Skills

scem0 - thanks very much for the advice :) ... one problem we have is that we are trying to do very band-ish music without a band - there are only two of us so it's mainly programmed. It has its advantages (I think limitations help encourage a distinctive sound) but you have to work harder to get a sense of dynamics.

Thanks again for the tips - always welcome. Although gushing praise is even more welcome :p

12. amateurmacfreak macrumors 6502a

amateurmacfreak

Haha :)

Oh, and to Oren from The New Republic, I'm sending you dudes an add too. :)

13. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    nice tunes, nice production and tasty arrangements!

see you on myspace.

14. Mr Skills thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mr Skills

49 friends! In one day! I'm so excited! By the time I wake up it will be over 50!

!!

15. amateurmacfreak macrumors 6502a

amateurmacfreak

Wow. You got to 66!! In one day!! Veery impressive. :)
    By the time I say this it will be up to 70. ;)

16. turbopants macrumors regular

17. Mr Skills thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mr Skills

Does anyone know why the MySpace music player is so ropey? The songs on our site only seem to play half the time. Is it something we are doing?

18. Takumi macrumors regular

I thin the lovely Claudia put it quite accuratly

Takumi

19. Mr Skills thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mr Skills

Well at least it's not our fault... I get the impression in a variety of ways that MySpace is not the most efficiently coded site. Great concept, though.

Anyway, we should reach 200 tonight :D

20. amateurmacfreak macrumors 6502a

amateurmacfreak

Yeah, it's pretty much definitely a MySpace problem. I have heard the stuff, but is there anyway you could also host it at another URL for other people? I don't know much about that, but it would be a good thing to do.

21. Mr Skills thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mr Skills

yeah it would be great if we could do that. The only thing is, we don't want it downloadable yet, I'm not sure how to set up streaming quicktime type stuff. The nice thing about MySpace streaming is that if people like the music, they are forced back to the site to listen meaning they see updates, hear new songs etc. Also it means they are expending effort to come to you. Better from a psychology/marketing point of view.

I guess I could knock up a site in iWeb and stick the music on it but it would be downloadable, I think.

22. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

hahah thanks. Leave us a comment so i have your url and can respond. :)

23. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

I can't add you because I don't have a MySpace account, but I do rather like your music. Do you allow dowloads of your songs? I have some friends that I think would like your music as well.

24. amateurmacfreak macrumors 6502a

amateurmacfreak

meet....

:)

25. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

amateurmacfreak,
    thanks for your kind words! I left you another comment too :)

check back around next friday-ish, we're going to have all new versions of our songs (ones that don't make your ears bleed from bad sound quality) that we recorded from a live set a few weeks ago. I'll let you know when they're up.