Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

G3-Pwnz-G4

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2003
man i just love that case...and having those ports on the front is a huge bonus...i like shiny things :D

pretentious

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2002
"Reality"
That's the first time I saw how transparent the front is...is anyone else thinking that this one case that just begging for a cool colored lights or icons inside, or even maybe even cooler to make it into a Light-Bright?

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
Ah... at long last.

Excellent photos. Great find, foofan! These are the pictures I wanted to see.

First, the machine is taller and deeper than the El Capitan. It's larger than I had imagined.

Second, the close-ups of the back, the slots, and the G5 heatsinks.

The pics on Apple's site are always at such weird angles that you can't get any clear idea what the thing really looks like.

I wouldn't worry about the keyboard and mouse. Since none of Apple's site photos show a keyboard, mouse or display (or show the machine running, or anything like that - we're supposed to crouch real close in front and admire it as an aluminum idol), I expect they're planning to release new ones in the next month or so.

matthew24

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2002
Netherlands
Beautiful

Like many others; It had to grow on me. But after these pictures: Apple's best design ever. Anybody who would say ugly is really out of his mind.

What more could it take to get a PC user even more jealous to switch? Or do they really want to stay in their dark caves?

:) :D ;) :p :cool:

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Originally posted by scem0
I got all excited until I saw this picture.

Then I realized how ugly it is compared to the G4's. ><

scem0
having the light pass through the grating looks tacky to me, which is why i would put the side of the case on instead of leaving it open like that. then the G5 would look a lot better there. the G4... i never have liked that design. it's kind of cutesy. sleek, yes, but toyish. i have never liked that about it, and it's a style that is absent from their other designs (except the original iMac). i think the new one is a turn in the right direction.

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
wow

I just think that G5 is great. It looks great inside and out! The whole brushed aluminum thing is working very well for me. It almost looks a little retro in design, kind of mod, if you ask me. Like SHAG-A-DELIC COMPUTER.

When I saw the side by side comparison with the G4, I was surprised at how much larger it was.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Originally posted by MrMacman
I don't like that they have the 'G5' name plasterd on the chips... oh well.
oh well indeed. how often do you even look at the chips? seriously, they are covered with a conductive putty and a probably masive heat sink. or are you talking about the covers for the heat sinks? but again, who cares. i usually just look at my case and monitor when i am using a computer anyways. say about 99.9% of the time.

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
Originally posted by scem0
I got all excited until I saw this picture.

Then I realized how ugly it is compared to the G4's. ><

scem0

thats not a fair comparison. the g4 obstructs the view of the g5 and all you can see of it is the front...but since the side panel is removed you can see right through the front which is not how its intended for it to be judged when talking aesthetics. poor picture for comparing.

p.s. what was wrong with using your keyboards USB port? and if you wanted to hook up firewire what was wrong with the back ports? it sucks that apple listened to the people who NEEDED that feature. oh well. it is convenient but it looks crappy on the front.

who cares though. that thing has some power.

jbomber

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2003
Brooklyn - NYC
Originally posted by beatle888
thats not a fair comparison. the g4 obstructs the view of the g5 and all you can see of it is the front...but since the side panel is removed you can see right through the front which is not how its intended for it to be judged when talking aesthetics. poor picture for comparing.

p.s. what was wrong with using your keyboards USB port? and if you wanted to hook up firewire what was wrong with the back ports? it sucks that apple listened to the people who NEEDED that feature. oh well. it is convenient but it looks crappy on the front.

who cares though. that thing has some power.

i dunno if this is really the best design for apple to be going with. i dig the materials, but there are a lot of things that could have been improved. sitting next to the G4, i have to say, i just don't like the G5's overall look. i thought i really disliked the mirrored doors G4, but the G5 is just that much worse .

maybe if they had taken a few more cues from the G4 Quicksilver (the best looking of the G4 line)....

medea

macrumors 68030
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
great to see it in a common enviroment, and the old powermac looks like a toy in comparison.

Attachments

• 3dsc08323-thumb.jpg
    3dsc08323-thumb.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 297

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
What I find interesting is that they've gone and placed the 'G5' on the inside....its not like you're going to see that unless the machine is off.....weird actually.

D

Frohickey

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2003
PRK
... for the next revision of the PowerMac G5, Apple will put a CPU utilization LED lightbar on the heatsinks. And it will go back and forth, like a one-dimensional Pong game. The more you utilize the CPU, the faster it goes back and forth.

Call it the KITT-G5.

:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.