Greatest American vote

Discussion in 'Community' started by plinden, May 13, 2005.

1. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Anyone game for skewing this vote?
    http://tv.channel.aol.com/greatestamerican

Bill Gates and Steve Jobs are both in it.

Most of the nominations are ... let me be polite about it ... less than obviously great.

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

heh heh, copying us again :p :D

Greatest Britons.

Will be interesting to see who come out on top of the American one.

3. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

4 Bushes? Hmmm - trying to rig it? Surely not. What have Laura and Barbara Bush, fine women that I'm sure they are, done to deserve the Greatest American tag? And Bill Cosby? And that's only a 2 page reading of the nominees :p

4. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Worrying amount of artists/entertainers/blah in there. Sure they're good, but "great"? I don't think so. Actors don't change our lives. Pioneers, inventors, and a like do.

I mean Tom Cruise? Ellen DeGeneres?? Tiger Woods??? (to name only a few) :rolleyes:

6. emw macrumors G4

emw

Yeah, but Madonna - how do you argue with that? :rolleyes:

It's embarrassing that this is the best list they could come up with. It will be interesting to see the top 10.

7. plinden thread starter macrumors 68040

plinden

So, who'll we vote for? I say Lucille Ball. Who could be greater?

8. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I would hope the top names will be people along these lines...
    Alexander Graham Bell
    Thomas Edison
    Albert Einstein
    Henry Ford
    Thomas Jefferson
    Wright Brothers
    Dr. Phil...lol, JOKING!!! :rolleyes: Seriously, WTF?​

9. candan9019 macrumors regular

10. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Einstein. Even though he became a naturalised US citizen claiming him in this way is a bit dubious.He did all his best work before then.By that reasoning Thomas Paine should definately be in there.

11. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

Umm wasn't Bell Scottish and Einstein German? Or have the Yanks persuaded themselves that they're American?

12. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

My feelings in this matter are as follows:

Quote from CBC RADIO 3/2.32/APRIL 16-22. 2004/MUSIC & MODERN MEDIA
    "Louis Riel. Tommy Douglas, Neil Young, Robertson Davis, Nellie McClung, Nelly Furtado, Pierre Trudeau, Jim Carrey, Shania Twain, Wayne Gretzky.

This nation's public broadcaster is asking its citizenry to choose the greatest Canadian of all time. The contest asks you to reflect on who embodies our national heritage, cast your vote, and then tune in to watch the 10 most popular candidates battle it out for top spot on a television show.

To date it's been suggested that "The Greatest" has probably done something big and splashy. Something in either public works or entertainment.

But what if, after careful consideration, the qualities you most value in Canadians are embodied in a person who does his best not to draw much attention to himself?

Pays taxes, votes each election and cares so much about the people around him he never considers getting too involved in something that takes him far from home.

Someone who'd say that a contest to find the greatest Canadian isn't really a Canadian thing, but would cast a vote anyway if he thought it was important to everyone else.

Maybe that's the greatest Canadian.

Someone who likes being part of the team.

But realizes in the end he's not that big in the scheme of things." end of quote

Couldn't say it better myself.

13. plinden thread starter macrumors 68040

plinden

Many, if not most of these seem to be present just for name recognition. I'm pretty sure even the historical figures are there just because most people would have heard of them - "Benedict Arnold? Sounds familar. Something to do with the war against the British?"

By the way, Benedict Arnold is not in the list - I was just exaggerating.

14. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Didn't you know, everyone that is great is american, heh heh. I think they're probably banking on most of the voters never having left central america, and being largely unaware of the rest of the world :eek: :p

*takes cover* :D

15. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

Great. I have to clean up my PowerBook now, as I just spewed vomit all over it. Rush Limbaugh? Laura and Barbara Bush? Brett Favre? Hugh Hefner and Dr. Phil? Joseph Smith, for God's sake, Joseph Smith! This list, by and large, is ass. I'm going to vote for Madonna out of protest.

16. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

No need to duck and cover. You're pretty much right. And we call it middle America, or the midwest. Just for future reference ;)

17. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

Bloody septics ;) thinking they're all theirs
    * hides behind edesignuk * :D

18. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

heh heh, noted ;)

It's a shame that the list is watered down with so many COMPLETELY insignificant people, and foreigners...mind you, I think our list had a bunch of jokers in there too, Princess Dinana at number 3 is an outright joke! :eek: You guys do have your fair share of greats - my definition of great being people that have changed the world and our lives, hopefully a true American great will come out on top.

19. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Lol... yeah Central America is where we conduct foreign policy by death squad. South America too, but that's another story...

20. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Bell moved to the US when he was 4 so although as a Scot, I'll claim him, I'll admit the US probably had more to do with the invention of the telephone. :rolleyes:

21. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Damn it! Shhhhhhhhh! ;) :D

22. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I agree, frustrating. I don't have AOL, that seems to be the problem. Or is Safari also a problem?
    :(

23. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Sounds like an international version of Dave Chappelle's Racial Draft!

24. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

the irony is that Bell didn't even invent the telephone, he patented an invention of italian/cuban/american Meucci, who had developed the invention but couldn't afford the patent fee.
    IIRC, Bell had shared a lab with meucci and basically stole the invention and patented it. there was a major legal battle and the supreme court dropped the case (which meucci had basically won) when meucci died. It's very well documented, and Congress passed an act a couple years ago "rehabilitating" meucci.
    A tragic story, in fact.
    edit:link

But the bottom line is that bell was basically a crook so I guess it fits well with a good part of that list (namely, a couple of recent presidents and radio hosts...)

25. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    There's a fascinating chapter or two in Bill Bryson's Made in America where he talks about the number of inventions that weren't invented by those whose names we associate with them or got rich from them. Mr Singer didn't invent the sewing machine, Edison who let his employees invent things and claimed credit - and cut 70mm Kodak film in half to 'create' 35mm film, Goodyear Tyres - who although Mr Goodyear invented the rubber, had nothing to do with the company who got rich.