Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What was the Greatest of these products?

• Lisa

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Mac 128k

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Mac SE

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Mac II

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Mac LC

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Mac Classic

Votes: 4 13.8%

• Total voters

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 24, 2001
This Poll's topic : Early GUI Computers

Well, heres the second poll. As I explained in the first poll I will do a series of these polls and eventually post a final poll with the highest ranking item in each category.
The categories will be as follows:
1.The Early Years
2.Early GUI Computers
3.Early Portables
4.Modern Portables
5.Handhelds
6.Misc. Hardware
7.90's Macs
8.Recent Macs
9.Current Computers
10.Software

3 and 4 will be posted on 4/18/02. Make sure that you vote in all of the polls.

The first poll is up at https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php3?postid=48343

me hate windows

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2002
I think that the best one was the Lisa. Since that was the first Apple GUI, it has to be the most important. Boy, I wish I had one of those right now. I have a Mac 128k in storage somewhere that is broken. I need to lug it out of its hiding place and try to fix it. I think it is power supply related, when you turn it on, it acts normal and shows the little box, then you hear a high pitched wine, the screen slowly dims, and then turns off entirely.

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
i chose the Mac 128k, even though i have no idea what this thread is about, the 128k bit makes it sound the most advanced, so it must be important!:D

Taft

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Chicago
I went for Lisa

Being the first to have a GUI and mouse outside of PARC has to count for something.

Matthew

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
Originally posted by cb911
i chose the Mac 128k, even though i have no idea what this thread is about, the 128k bit makes it sound the most advanced, so it must be important!:D

hmm...u have got to be kidding right?! :rolleyes: :eek:

anyway...granted, the Lisa was the first GUI...which puts it in a position of definite importance in Apple's history...

but the Mac 128 was the first Macintosh...1984...the huge hype...it changed personal computing forever...

it's hard to say which is more important...but I voted for the Mac 128 ;)

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 24, 2001
This thread is part of a series of polls to find the greatest Apple product of all time. (At least according to us)

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
i liked the mac "low cost" series because of their small thin form factor (the desktop models)

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by mcrain
1984 - nuff said.

Absolutely, I voted for the mac classic because it was Apple's first true all in one computer that was successful. Lisa came first, but they didn't really go anywhere with it.

The Mac Classic changed the face of computing at the time.

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
i voted LISA. the LISA was the cube of the past. way ahead of its time, some might say too ahead of its time. it was far more advanced (the GUI) than the other machines even though it came first. it paved the way for personal computing as we know it today. the LISA is the epitamy of apple, and without the advances made in it the other machiens never would have existed.

twek

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2002
San Francisco
mac classic

it was the computer that brought it all back around for artists and apple. hell, i still see them being used for exhibits at museums and such where speed isn't essential. what other 12 year old computer is still out there actually being put to use? :)

kevine

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2002
Palo Alto, CA
Classic isn't what you're talking about

The Macintosh Classic wasn't the first Mac, but rather the re-released Mac SE with a slightly better design and a lower price. It was released in October 1990 some 3 years after the Mac SE and pretty much had the same specs...68000 cpu @ 8 MHz and 1-4MB of ram. The Classic was still a good machine for running things like ClarisWorks, but it came at a time when speeds, ram, and screens were increasing.

My vote goes to the SE with the 128 being a close second and the II being a close third.

The SE was the first Mac that was really truely productive and capable of doing things that you just couldn't do with DOS. The 128 and the Lisa were too limitted and expensive to succeed without being followed by a more refined product (along with its upgraded OS and newer software).

The Mac II then brought expansion to the Macs as well as color. The Mac II allowed for PhotoShop, Director, and other great things.

rt_brained

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2002
Creativille
Originally posted by me hate windows
when you turn it on, it acts normal and shows the little box, then you hear a high pitched wine, the screen slowly dims, and then turns off entirely.

I had the same problem with my ex-girlfriend.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.