Greatest Apple Product of All Time

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Durandal7, Apr 25, 2002.

?

Which of these was the greatest?

Poll closed Apr 30, 2002.
  1. Apple II

2 vote(s)
    4.7%
  2. Mac 128k

4 vote(s)
    9.3%
  3. Powerbook Duo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. iBook (Original)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Apple eMate 300

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  6. iPod

2 vote(s)
    4.7%
  7. 20th Anniversary Mac

2 vote(s)
    4.7%
  8. iMac (Original)

17 vote(s)
    39.5%
  9. iMac G4

5 vote(s)
    11.6%
  10. MacOS X

10 vote(s)
    23.3%
  1. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

This is the final poll. The 10 choices are taken from the previous polls.

To those of you who will eventually start complaining about this thread:
    This is the last of them from me, if you dont like it then post elsewhere. And you can't say I'm doing this to increase post count since Ive been registered for over a year and have about 300 posts, I dont care about post count.

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

you'll get no complaints from me, i actually enjoy these little polls :)

it was a hard one, a toss up between the TAM (coolest) and the iMac (most important)... i had to go with original iMac tho, because not only did it save Apple from the brink, it also changed all kinds of products, from other companies' computers down to iMac-looking alarm-clocks to TV's, etc etc... you get the idea :)

pnw

3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Going for the iMac. It changed everything, not just computer design, but all tech industries. Its an icon of the 90s.:D

4. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

Do I hear Apple II? It's an icon of the early computer revolution.

Plastic case, color graphics, BASIC on ROM

Can't beat that! iMac would get my second vote -> orig mac -> iPod

5. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

You can't go past the original iMac. It pulled Apple from the depths, and changed the way people thought about computers. What a machine.

6. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Ouch......my brain hurts.

The problem for me is the fact that OS X, iPod and the G4 iMac are the core of a whole new era in computing...........they are an integral whole.......the iMac would be unimpressive without OS X and the iPod allows a "Data Wallet" that is just the icing on the cake.

Why was the "Digital Hub" never in your surveys? All the parts are here.

I vote Digital Hub: iMac/iPod/OS X.:p

7. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

I'm voting for the dual G5 laptop with superduperdrive!

8. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

Shouldn't it be which one of these is/was the greatest?

Oh well...

9. Durandal7 thread starter macrumors 68040

Too late now...

10. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

imac gets my vote again

if you catch me on another day, i might vote for the original macintosh (the 128k, i think)

11. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Mac 128 baby...again...it's the first actual "Macintosh" ;)

12. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

i vote for the TiBook....wait a sec, why isn't the TiBook on the poll? it is the single greatest product in the entire history of everything!!! what happened?
    anyway, the next the greatest product has to be: OS X.:D

13. Tommy! macrumors regular

I definetly voted for the original iMac! I'm using one right now and i have used one for almost 4 years. Never one single problem! I love everything about it, including the round mouse :D I'll probably keep using it for quite some time.

ps. why would someone want to increase their thread count????? are there benefits or something?

14. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

os x is a top product people forget about

sj said that apple is a software company first and this was the big mistake he made by not seeing that when he was young

rival bill gates saw the power of software then and now is he still the richest man in history

15. bobindashadows macrumors 6502

Just to nitpick, John D. Rockefeller had more if you include inflation ;)

16. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I CAN NOT BELIEVE THE RESULTS so far. The original iMac? What a piece of rabit poo that thing is. It looks like a gumdrop and performed just as badly for any sort of business work.

What a foo foo girly computer. I swear, that computer is the reason half the PC people out there refused to even consider apple as a viable alternative. JUNK!!!

Now, the new iMac, the new towers, the new non foo foo ibook, and the TiBook are fantastic machines, but the original iMac?? I know you were 10 when you got it, but grow up already.

Blah.

Sorry, don't bother flaming me, I'm a recent mac convert, an attorney, and nothing you can say will even come close to bothering me. If you want to argue the merits of the original iMac, that's fine, but I can't imagine how you could argue that the "gumdrop" did much of anything except attract pre-teen girls to the mac platform.

17. Tommy! macrumors regular

i know, right? i mean all the imac did was attract tons of PC switchers to the mac platform, which encouraged all sorts of developers to produce more macintosh software and hardware! Plus, I mean with that stupid small price tag, everyone could afford a really cool computer! Who would want that! And with all the imac color-scheme knockoffs, Apple couldn't have been doing a single thing right with the design.

And the most useless thing about the imac? It was the best-selling apple computer of all time! Yeah, like that means anything! Wow, 6 million computers... ooohhhhh, im shivering in my little space boots.

I really don't like my imac. I'm so dissapointed that I got it, because its so stylish and looks good in my home. And not having to take it to the shop once?! what is that all about? :rolleyes:

18. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

the original imac probably appealed to a lot of children , high school kids, and college students

i think business professionals just stayed with their pcs...but the tibook is something i can see a lawyer or business professional look good with

a black tibook would even be sharper and i hope they come out with an annodized model

i have my blueberry ibook but when i go out into a business setting, i definitely bring my black pc laptop even though it is slower

i do miss the g3 powerbook since that thing looked great with the white apple logo on it and the capability for dual batteries is a plus

19. Tommy! macrumors regular

I know a lot of people dislike me because I love to rebut anything they say, but... that's crazy to not bring your ibook into a business setting just because it doesnt look like everyone elses. Who cares? I bought an iMac even though everyone said it was for girls. I know what gender I am and I do not a need a computer to tell me. Thinking different isn't enough. You have to be different, too!

20. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

wouldn't it be funny if you had to join a firm down the line somewhere that used those old imacs?

i could just see it, you are defending a mass murderer and suddenly you pull out a lime green ibook...or you are about to defend enron and you have a tangerine ibook

i can't imagine it myself for your field, but one place i have seen grownups use the old style imac are art galleries

hanson, blue dog, and a couple others

21. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

That would be funny, but when you are in a cut throat business where you win cases on talent, but attract and keep clients on image, it is unlikely that a firm would use the old iMacs. Most big time attorneys dress like it is the civil war (blue and grey) with white shirts and conservative ties. It only gets more button down when you are a tax attorney.

If I walked into a client meeting and there was an iMac sitting on the desk, I wouln't be the least bit surprised if the client chose another firm.

No offense Tommy, but I know your gender, I just don't know your gender preference, and in a situation where you have to win over clients, other attorneys and juries, that's a question you don't want left unanswered or ambiguous because of something like a foo foo computer.

22. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Now, don't get me wrong on that last post. Gender preference is exactly that, your preference. Be what you want, that's fine with me, but in a professional setting, you have to "look the part" and "act the part."

You leave your personal issues at home.

23. resm macrumors 6502

greatest Apple product

I see the original iMac's place in the computer world equal to the Beatles in the music world.

Both have started a revolution with regards to looks and appeal to the general and largest part in society.....the youth !

Both have shown that you CAN look different and be successful.

I never liked the looks of the original iMac but was one of the first to get the iMac 800 .......what a great product !

I think (hope) the iMac will continue to be Apples "special Baby" when it comes to design and functionality.

24. maclamb macrumors 6502

maclamb

Define greatest - or this is just a big masturbation fantasy

When will sonmeone actually define their terms for an INTELLIGENT DISCUSSION.

Geez...

Anyway, I think the orignal Mac was the greatest because:

It totally changed the nature of computing by bringing gui to the masses and paved the way for the rest of them....

I see the original mac like the Velvet Underground - raw, unfinished - and not a huge audience at first.

But VU paved the way for punk and by extension modern rock...
    But, from the 57% for Imac I assume you are all too young to remember either...
    or command line prompts, too perhaps.

flame on you big weenies......

25. resm macrumors 6502

Re: Define greatest - or this is just a big masturbation fantasy

When will sonmeone actually define their terms for an INTELLIGENT DISCUSSION.

Geez...

Cool down man....

most of us are here to have some fun and to get (mostly) some useful information.

To define "greatest" is about the same as to ask what is "beautiful".

It's in the eye of the beholder or with regards to "greatest"...what are your needs/budget and knowledge.

So let's keep it relaxed :)