greatest baseball team?

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Aug 7, 2002.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

yankees...duh:p

best season...mariners last season

best upset...'55 dodgers win and last year's diamondbacks win

florida marlins coming out of nowhere was amazing and back to back blue jays' wins is one for the record books

2. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

86 mets: The first baseball game I ever saw was this team.

September 17, 1986 - The Mets clinch the National League East with a 4-2 victory over the Chicago Cubs at Shea.

October 15, 1986 - In one of the greatest games in postseason history, the Mets defeat the Houston Astros 7-6 in 16 innings for the third National League Championship in franchise history.

October 25, 1986 - In Game Six of the World Series, the Mets complete a miracle, two-out comeback from 2 runs down in the bottom of the 10th, when Mookie Wilson dribbles a ground ball through Boston first baseman Bill Buckner's legs to score Ray Knight for a 6-5 victory.

October 27, 1986 - Delayed a day by rain, the Mets defeat the Boston Red Sox 8-5 in Game Seven of the World Series to become World Champions for the second time in franchise history

3. iGav macrumors G3

Not that I really understand everything about it, when it's on Channel 5 Live in the early hours I'll watch it if the Mariners are playing (token fan cos I like Seattle ;) )

It certainly beats Cricket though......... :p , great atmosphere...... :)

4. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

i wish the mets did more against the new york yankees in that subway series...going to seven would have been really great

over here in 1989, in the bay area of northern california, mark mcguire and company with the oakland As cleaned the clock of the giants...but this was before the giants had barry bonds

maybe oakland and the giants will meet again

5. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

that was a great mets season.. one of the best teams ever. from the all star break on they were unstoppable. (until the yankees.. punks :))

ventura would play "the doors" in the dugout to get them pumped up and he gave out nicknames to raise morale... (called his lucky bat "el negro.".. for no reason other than because it was black) That was a great year... i really enjoyed it as a native new yorker...

almost did it.. too bad half the team went to seatle or the yankees

6. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

they should put a salary cap on baseball otherwise the rich team will have the unfair advantage

it is still something to behold to see almost any yankees team with the great depth they have in their lineup

the braves had such a great pitching staff once that it was surprising that they only won one or two with those guys in the 90s

7. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

absolutly. the only reason that the diamondbacks beat the yankees is that they deferred payments a year or two for all their signing bonus'. They are doing what the marlins did in 97. The team will have to cut payroll in a year or two. The yankees have a disgusting payroll and it allows them to keep the edge they have.

61 was the best. Mantle was a god. and the homerun race was done with class and chivalry. Something Bonds will never have. The yankees are an amazing team.... and their farm teams are just as deep... they are going to be on top for a long time.

but they always owned the national league... yankees vs braves... over and over again. But the team is getting a little old.. they need some fresh blood... and what is with chippers teeth? :)

8. brentmore macrumors 6502

brentmore

METS RULE

Mets are the best team of all time.
    For all of those "yankee fans" not from NYC, please get off the bandwagon.

Oh, and cricket is far superior to baseball. Real men need no gloves.

9. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

i remember the game at PNC Park after september 11th... the mets wearing the NYFD and NYPD hats... it was awesome. The mets are a class act.... Franco and Ordonez... Benny when he was there....

Watch out for Jose Reyes and Esix Snead they are in their minor leagues... they will be something in a few years.

10. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

Re: greatest baseball team?

Oakland A's baby, yeahhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! over 100 seasons and the second most world series titles at 9 (counting the philidelphia A's).

You know what was a really awesome season, 1991. two worst to first teams in the world series, 10 innings in game 7 with smoltz pitching an absolute gem but losing. Kirby pucket and homer hankies. brilliant. I don't really like the braves, but that was perhaps the best world series I can remember.

I don't believe the mariners had the best season ever. There have been teams with a higher winning percentage before the schedule was expanded (The cubbies I know, and I think the indians might have done it once as well) I believe the yankees of Ruth and Gerig probably get my vote as the most potent teams of all time. talk about absolute historical icons comprising your team. But I'll say this for the mariners, they epitomized the team concept last year. That was probably the best team with the worst players in history (not that the players were bad, but none, with the possible exception of ichiro by the time he's done and possibly Edgar, are iconic). The yankees in '98 got almost as many regular season wins, but they won the extra one's that counted to. That might have been the most completely dominant season ever. Maybe I'm just biased against the mariners because the A's are in the same division though.

11. 2Step Garage macrumors newbie

Chicago Cubs

I dont care how bad they are.. the Chicago Cubs are the best baseball team period.

12. kwajo.com macrumors 6502a

kwajo.com

ALL-Time: the Expos!!!!!!
    Best winning team: 92 & 93 Blue Jays. JOE CARTER WAS GOD!