Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
It is my unpopular opinion that Spielberg makes shallow, superficial, cliché, obvious, mile-wide-and-an-inch-deep movies. Oh, I forgot maudlin, treacly and ,at times, unbearably cute!

His characters are flat, cardboard cut outs. The direction is uninspired, and his scripts are nothing much. He relies on cheap tricks to wring emotion from the audience, he doesn't earn our emotional response...he just pushes emotional buttons.

And, no, I haven't seen "Schindler's List". I won't subject myself to Spielberg's interpretation of such an intensely important topic...so I apologize if it was, somehow, a total exception to his usual fare and a actually good film.

Just one man's opinion...:)

Oh, gosh. You echo what has been locked in the inner chambers of my mind. Amen to this. I agree......pretty much completely with you. :D

If you haven't seen Shindlers List don't rate Speilberg just using his mega-hit made for anybody corny movies. He can be a very good director,producer, and writer.

Ah, well. Where to start? By the more usual standards of Mr Spielberg, this is actually an excellent film; indeed, it would rank as a very good film by one of the directors I like.

But, a big, bad, but, I actually didn't like it. It is good, infact possibly very good, but - to my mind - it is not good enough. It is not that this topic cannot be dealt with on the Big Screen. It can, but only in the hands of the right director (and actors, plot and script). Here, I must confess to having read a stupendous amount on that era, one of the drawbacks of which means that I am horribly aware of historical short-cuts or inaccuracies.

In another thread, I referenced a French movie that treats of a closely related topic 'Au Revoir Les Enfants', which is simply superb, and would easily rank as one of the top ten movies I, personally, have ever seen. This is a heart-breaking film, sharp, bitter sweet, funny in parts, savagely true in others, with a compelling, emotionally accurate (and historically completely convincing) narrative which yet remains utterly devoid of sentimentality.

Even when he tries hard - as he does in 'Schindler's List' - Mr Spielberg doesn't convince. At least, he didn't convince me.

towg

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2012
Cardiff
'Withnail And I'.

Endlessly rewatchable and quotable. Plus I completely identify with the characters.

dirtymagician

Suspended
Jul 24, 2012
Back To The Future Trilogy.

It was my childhood (my poor parents were subjected to me wanting to rent them over and over again), i watch them when im down, sick, or just fancy something to watch.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
So many great movies, I'm having trouble pinning down one or two.
I'm sure there's one I missed and I rack my brains but here's what I have. Basically if I like to watch the movie over and over, then I consider it the category

Star Wars series (both old and new)
Star Trek Wrath of Kahn
Dr. No
Groundhog Day

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia

Attachments

• sloth_loves_chunk.jpg
    sloth_loves_chunk.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 90

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
So many great movies, I'm having trouble pinning down one or two.
I'm sure there's one I missed and I rack my brains but here's what I have. Basically if I like to watch the movie over and over, then I consider it the category

Star Wars series (both old and new)
Star Trek Wrath of Kahn
Dr. No
Groundhog Day

All good movies there! If the criteria would be a movie that I watch over and over again, then for me it would be What About Bob?

That's one movie I've seen more times than I can count and nearly have it memorized. The role reversal of the doctor patient relationship and subsequent institutionalization of Dr. Marvin is hilarious and never gets old.

Bob is so needy and wanting its beyond pathetic and moreover endearing as Dr. Marvin's family takes him in and has sympathy for him. Meanwhile Dr. Marvin is a little bit narcissistic himself and overly proud of his professional achievements and wants everything to be perfect for his Good Morning America interview, yet Bob is there to "mess it up" for him.

It's a classic movie in my book.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-05-20 at 5.52.38 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-05-20 at 5.52.38 AM.png
    91.3 KB · Views: 284

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Amazing how films affect people differently. I found it very annoying and contrived after awhile when she couldn't make up her mind if she was getting in the life boat or not.

Yes. Absolutely. I agree. It is fascinating to see how films affect people differently. And yes, I agree, also, with your assessment of Titanic. I didn't like it, and much preferred the version made in the UK ('A Night To Remember') in the late 1950s, which had Kenneth More - whom I have always liked as an actor - in a leading role.

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind
Amazing how films affect people differently. I found it very annoying and contrived after awhile when she couldn't make up her mind if she was getting in the life boat or not.

Yes. Absolutely. I agree. It is fascinating to see how films affect people differently. And yes, I agree, also, with your assessment of Titanic. I didn't like it, and much preferred the version made in the UK ('A Night To Remember') in the late 1950s, which had Kenneth More - whom I have always liked as an actor - in a leading role.

And let's all be honest .... he totally could have fit on that door.

That said, I agree - not a very good movie and it has forever left us with that song - which, frankly, should only be played as punishment. Nobody would ever commit a crime if it meant they would have to listen to that song in prison for eternity.

The only redeeming thing about the whole movie is Kate Winslet. :D

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The Director's Cut!

Frequently I have been disappointed in Director's Cuts. Due to time constraints in play time, usually you see a nice tight story in the theatrical release.

One prime example is Aliens. The extra footage that showed the family going out to discover the eggs on LV-426 degraded the story substantially. It was much better just to say "we've lost contact" and then the marines and the viewer make the trip to discover what happened. It's also better getting the story from Newt, than seeing it as it happens.

The Avatar director's cut was not so bad though. I enjoyed the added "hunt" scene.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
One prime example is Aliens. The extra footage that showed the family going out to discover the eggs on LV-426 degraded the story substantially. It was much better just to say "we've lost contact" and then the marines and the viewer make the trip to discover what happened. It's also better getting the story from Newt, than seeing it as it happens.

I see what you mean and would generally agree, but I found the outside shots when they arrive at the ship amazing.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
What about 'Heaven's Gate'? Or, 'The Magnificent Ambersons'? Sometimes, when a true artist has made a multi-layered, complex movie, it can end up being butchered in order to fit into a preferred time slot and commercial timetables, much of the nuance, not to mention, subtlety, of the original may well be lost.

marcial

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2013
I must agree the criteria is too broad. But if there's a movie that made so much impact on my young mind, it will have to be The Deer Hunter starring Robert de Niro and Christophe Walken.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
What about 'Heaven's Gate'? Or, 'The Magnificent Ambersons'? Sometimes, when a true artist has made a multi-layered, complex movie, it can end up being butchered in order to fit into a preferred time slot and commercial timetables, much of the nuance, not to mention, subtlety, of the original may well be lost.

I so glad someone else likes "The Magnificent Ambersons" as much as I. The butchery performed on the Ambersons was inflicted by the studio while Welles was out of the country and unable to defend his film. The version that remains is troubled by plot discontinuity...but I still watch every time it is on TCM (my classic movie station.)

The cinematography, lighting, art direction, and set dressing are superb. The plot, though mistrested by the studio, is still interesting and compelling. And I think Joseph Cotton's, Tim Holt's and Ray Collins' performances are noteworthy.

The studio's mistreatment of this film is unforgivable, but it still remains a favorite of mine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.