GREATEST NEWS!!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by prp134, Aug 19, 2005.

1. prp134 macrumors regular

Hello Again,

So I was going to buy an ibook in a few months but I have decided to wait till the new macintels come out. I had originally decided to buy one now because in two yrs I was going to go to Law School and I heard they only work with Wins, but as I was reading some random info on a college website I found this:

"Finally, for Apple Macintosh fans, while the Law School is a predominately Windows environment, we do support the newer models of Apple laptops (those running OS X). Please note the requirement of a removable storage medium above. Be aware not all new Apple laptops come with writeable removable storage, so a 3rd party, external drive may be necessary"

oh yeah I am for sure waiting for those new Macs, by that time they'll have all the bugs worked out on the new Macs, hm...I wonder if this new configuration will also be supported? any thoughts.... :D sorry guys if this doesnt concern u guys but I just had to type it somewhere, hey maybe there's a few future lawyers out.

2. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

I could have sworn that lawyers used Windows ME exclusively...

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

They've given up on BOB then?

I wouldn't bother waiting for new Intel iBooks. They won't be here for ages and you may as well get your hands on OSX as soon as possible. Macs keep their value very well so upgrading to an Intel Mac in a few years should be no problem. :)

4. prp134 thread starter macrumors regular

oh no it says on the website that they DONT support win 95/98/Mill

Oh I want to get a Powerbook, not an ibook, I was going to get an ibook because they're affordable, but know that I know this, I'll just wait and save my money and buy a SPANKING new HOT!! Powerbook, I might just buy a refurb Mac for now. :rolleyes:

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

A current iBook would be perfectly adequate for law school. My girlfriend (law student) gets by on some old PC, she really only needs it for selected readings and writing essays/papers etc.

The PowerBooks are great, but it'd be overkill IMO. :)

6. persianpunisher macrumors regular

there are many law schools that have tons of macs, in fact some are MAINLY mac.

7. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

A Refurb PowerBook would be a good choice. Just be sure to purchase additional RAM and AppleCare. It would be prudent to wait until the Rev. B Intel Mac due to bugs and compatibility issues.

8. iDM macrumors 6502a

iDM

The Commonwealth of PA/The First State-DE
    I hope you mean hot literally when you say because Pb's are hot as hell

9. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

tuartboy

har har har ;)

10. Danzsupreme macrumors member

Yea, I know i ran out and bought a Quadra when Powermacs came out and i bought a spanking new 9500 when the G3 came out. I was the coolest kid on my block with these machines.

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

That's great news! So ... does the storage requirement mean that you need a CD burner, or a USB stick, or something more sophisticated?

12. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

My Uncle is a partner in a very large law frim in Chicago and they use mostly macs for everything.

13. prp134 thread starter macrumors regular

yup, they recommend you have a floppy but for Mac users a USB stick or a cd burner should be fine. oh another thing I just found out on my search for law schools, this law school provides students with a version of Office to every student free of charge, the bad thing is that the license expires once you graduate.

14. cubist macrumors 68020

How does the expiration thing work? Does the Mac version expire? In the past, the Mac versions have been a lot 'nicer' in these respects (activation, etc.) than the PC versions. I suppose the 2004 version is just as bad...

Anyhow I second the suggestions to get an existing iBook (possibly a refurb, but the latest model is better than the previous one). If your eyes are good, get the 12", otherwise get the 14". Get third-party RAM from Crucial, and pick up Virtual PC if it's not included in the free Office. The first MacTels are going to be a little unstable and quirky, and they're probably a year off anyway.

15. spinne1 macrumors 6502a

spinne1

At the U. of Tennessee law school where I graduated in 2001, nobody was using laptops for testing. All tests were taken by hand. The option to test on computer was available, but for whatever reason no one did it (with rare exception). Yet about half the students used a laptop to take notes. [I never did] Point? Maybe your law school is the same way, and if so, it makes no difference at all what operating system you are running.

Lastly, if your law school is big into hand testing, you really don't need a laptop at all. I was fine with my home desktop. [Besides, the temptation to play solitaire all class long was very real from my observation]

16. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

What's a floppy??? ;) :D

Seriously though, i don't see why the university would care what OS you are running as long as you can read/write typical files (MS word, excel, Powerpoint, etc.) I had an education class that did not allow Macintoshes to be used, but my TiPB did everything fine. And just to annoy the professor, i brought my 'book into class the last week to show her that a Mac can handle things quite nicely!

A flash drive for transporting files around, cd-r/rw for papers, etc. Not to mention the ability to email papers, presentations, etc. In my 3 semesters in grad school i have only turned one assignment on cd (ppt presentation), (that is other than my audio projects/recordings that were on cd...duh!).

17. prp134 thread starter macrumors regular

18. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Virtual PC is a very slow emulator of an x86 system that you can run on a Mac. Generally, it is used for Windows. :)

And for some reason I can't give you a working link to Microsoft's site... :confused: