Greatest vid ever; guess who won E3 2006?

Discussion in 'Games' started by GFLPraxis, May 13, 2006.

1. macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

2. macrumors 68020

G5Unit

3. macrumors member

After all of Sony's wild hype and tricks with the PS3 prices/specs, this is what they deserve!:D

4. macrumors regular

It's amazing you did that line twice It's like waiting for a new rollercoaster at an amusemnet park! That shot of the Sony guys was priceless. :D

5. macrumors member

That is insane! Imagine trying to complete a level of an awesome game and you have six hundred people queuing up behind you...!

6. macrumors regular

michaelltd

Holy crap! What day was that video showing the line to the Wii shot on?

When I was there on Wednesday, the line almost, but not quite completely circled Nintendo's booth. That line there circled it and then some!

7. macrumors 65816

mfacey

That's an insane line. Reminds me of the video of the line in front of that Apple store opening in Japan (I think it was Ginza?). I'm amazed people still join the line when seeing how long it is. How long was the wait at the end there?

8. MRU
    macrumors demi-god

MRU

OMG that is stunning. We've all read how insane the interest in the Wii (or should that be sane, only thing insane this year was sonys pricing) but that was unbelievable. Nintendo definetly came out top on hardware this year, and MS for best looking games.....

9. macrumors Core

Dagless

Am I the only one here thinking Nintendo are onto something big. I mean disruptively big.

10. macrumors 68030

.Andy

Yeah I think they're going to do great with this machine. If it's anything like the DS it's going to appeal to a lot more people than just the vanilla gaming demographic. Whether that translates to sales anywhere near what Sony have enjoyed remains to be seen though.

The only thing that I am worried about is the controller not being up to scratch in the home environment. But so far reviews from those who've used it seem positive and Nintendo does have a great track history of quality products. I can't wait to see what Q4 brings :).

11. MRU
    macrumors demi-god

MRU

If they iron out problems with the cotroller, hey there was bound to be some especially with early games that arent finished, and can then get that controller into people hands on the retail floor, they will clean up.

Cheaper than the other, not requiring a huge investment (HDTV, BluRay etc..) and can play there currrent DVD movies, and a whole rack of gamecube titles, and all the other existing back catalogue etc....

They wil clean up.......

12. macrumors 6502a

coffey7

do they have jobs

Its a good thing they don't have jobs they needed to go to. Did they stay in line for days.If nintendo is that popular how come the gamecube didn't sell better.

13. macrumors 6502a

Benjamin

Now that's a line, great work out for the him. ;)

14. macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

What I'm worried about is Nintendo looking at this line and thinking "damn, we could charge ANYTHING for this"

Maybe there is a reason they're so hush hush on the price....... maybe it has yet to be determined.

15. MRU
    macrumors demi-god

MRU

No nintendo have learnt from mistakes and look at the DS Lite, it was released at less than people expected.

I think were all going to be in for a pleasatnt surprise at $199 or $249 with a few extra goodies in the pack.

16. thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I believe it was the second day (Thursday).

I got in the beginning of the line during E3 Media Early Access Hours on the first day. On the second day I got in about halfway into the line (ran after the doors opened) and only had to wait about two hours, but I could see how far back it extends (I saw the last section it looped around, but couldn't see the end).

It was actually a fun two hour wait- we played 8-player Tetris the entire time.

But yeah, the line was ridiculous.

I'll post the pictures I took of Sony's line later when I have access to my laptop. It didn't even reach the 30-minute wait sign. I don't think there were twenty people. That was to play the AAA titles like Warhawk- there were other PS3's litered throughout Sony's booth with games like Heavenly Sword and GT4 and Madden and Sonic.

I walked up and played Madden after waiting for ONE PERSON, and I walked up to an unattended Sonic PS3 game. Meanwhile, even the Bomberman ten-second minigame for the Wii had a line behind it, and SpongeBob SquarePants had like five or six people- Zelda was just plain ridiculous.

Nintendo had 27 games in their inner area of their booth for the Wii- several of them had multiple stands (there were like six or seven Zelda, three or four Metroid Prime 3, two or three Madden, etc)- the line you saw in the video is to get inside Nintendo's inner area, THEN you have to get in line for the games- since the wait for each game is ten minutes per person, you usually waited an hour to play Zelda/Metroid/Mario/Red Steel, sometimes two hours.

17. thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I've read it was four to five hours. Luckily, I NEVER started from the back of the line (Early Access Hours and rushing when the door opened worked- I still had 1-2 hours wait though).

18. macrumors regular

19. macrumors 6502a

Who 'won' E3 2006?

I didn't know there was an award for that.

The Wii (still doesn't feel normal saying that) didn't really impress me at all (especially graphically, but I suppose that's a different ballgame). I suppose I'll wait until I play Zelda to make a final judgement.

The 'Wii Sports' games looked very...not good. Odd 'design choice' for the characters and such. Reminds me of early SGI demos from the 90's.

As for profits, I wouldn't worry about that. Nintendo uses ass-cheap parts to make their systems (especially the first DS design), and the fact that the system doesn't support HD resolutions makes it even cheaper for them to manufacture. They'll probably get away with charging $250 for it, and most people wouldn't mind. However, I'd really like to see it launch at $150-$200, and I imagine they would too. The cheaper the make it, the less likely someone is going to say, 'Hey, for only $XXX.xx more, you could get an XBOX!'

The system reminds me of a DS console, minus the second screen. Great for short mini-games, not-so-great for traditional games. It seems like the controller could hold some games back - thus requiring the 'classic controller', or whatever they're calling it. Which doesn't really seem like a great idea...

The 'classic controller' is plugged into the remote? It doesn't have any sort of motion-sensor technology, and it (from what I've heard) doesn't have rumble support?

Odd. I think Nintendo would benefit from creating a standard controller, ala the PS3's 'motion-sensor' controller for more traditional games that could still have some degree of motion control. To this day, I still think the 360 controller is the best design.

The gimmick games and the traditional games all have their place, and I hope traditional games still appear on the Wii with tight control, even without the remote.

For example, a 2D platformer would still be best played with traditional controls. When IGA was asked about making a Castlevania for the Wii, he said that he didn't feel the franchise would work with the remote, and I tend to agree. An unfamiliar control introduced to a tried-and-true game style only complicates things.

Hopefully, game companies come up with some really interesting ideas for the controller. Unlike the DS, where the second screen is usually a 'map screen' (useless).

Also, everybody seems to have been so distracted by the 'playable Wii', that they forgot about the important questions, such as Nintendo's online strategy. Will there be a service along the lines of XBOX Live, or will it be a free 'random + freinds codes' system like the DS has?

In closing, I would love to try 'Virtua Tennis' on that system (if it ever came out), but I have to ask...

Wouldn't your arms be tired after holding them in the air for extended periods of time?

20. macrumors Core

Dagless

Arms hurt? I can't say for everyone but I've played a lot of tennis in my day so that's ok for me. But not only that, most games don't require the exaggerated playing as seen in the Wii videos. Especially for system winners like Metroid Prime and Mario Galaxy.

also you don't seem to really understand Nintendo's strategy. that's cool like as it's a new thing. You're trying to associate it with current games, which doesn't necessarily work. First person shooters DO NOT work (sorry, it doesn't) without a 2nd analogue stick in the current gen. Playing Goldeneye style or whatever just doesn't cut it, Metroid Prime showed us this. It's a new and better way of playing FPS. it allows accuracy and natural flow. 2 things greater than console FPS. the Wii-mote allows a similar degree of control, it's more natural and more precise.
    Current games might need a re-think. But Nintendo doesn't want that. Nintendo want new games, new genres, an entirely new experience. Some things will remain traditional. Nintendo said at least one of their launch titles requires the shell controller so they're not putting all their eggs in 1 basket.

as for the characters in Wii sports. I found nothing wrong with them? I can not see a single polygon in them, I just see accessible fun sprites used in a low budget tech demo for the Wii. If you want everything all guns ablazing with OMG-real faces then look elsewhere. Wii Sports will dominate the non-gaming market. Hell my parents want a Wii for that game alone! their very first own games console. they're breaking into exactly what they said they would - the non gamers.

21. macrumors 68000

sam10685

i heard it was like 4 hours. i know what's going to be the hot seller this christmas...

22. macrumors 68000

sam10685

it does to me... and a lot of other people. get over it.:rolleyes:

23. macrumors 6502

But this is a... gaming.... expo... and console...................(?)

Non gamers dont know about E3. Non gamers dont care about E3. They will see the Wii as a 'gaming platform' that uses a 'weird remote'. Non gamers dont want that. Non gamers dont want games. Thats why they're called non gamers.

24. macrumors 601

eva01

i know a lot of non-gamers that are now interested in the wii from all the publicity it is getting, and its innovative aspects, that are just going to be fun

25. thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I knew I should have bought Nintendo stock before E3.