Greece & Rome

Discussion in 'Community' started by derajfast, Sep 20, 2005.

1. derajfast macrumors 6502a

Who was more innovative and advanced for their time period? Greece or Rome? And who has had the most influence on today's societies? Thanks

2. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Are you writing an essay for AP World History per chance?

And for me it would be the Romans, though they took quite a bit of influence from the Greeks...

3. Whyren macrumors 6502a

Whyren

Romans indeed had a big part, but I think they more brought different cultural traditions together than contributed their own...while at the same time obliterating other cultural traditions (which always happens when a nation/culture/empire unifies).

4. derajfast thread starter macrumors 6502a

No I am having an argument with a friend.....You think so? Rome took SO much from Greece. Bill Gates isnt innovative because he stole from Apple. Greece invented and contributed much more I feel, and did so much earlier and in a shorter time span than Rome.

5. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

it's kind of hard to separate the two (and the apple-ms parallel doesn't hold any water). certainly the romans took a lot from the greek (who in turn took from other cultures), especially in science/phylosopy, literature and politics, but other aspects of the roman civilization (engineering, communication, organization, military, law) were far superior.
    As far as influence, the romans by far.

6. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

The Romans left a greater mark on history - even though they were influenced by the Greeks. Part of it has to do with the fact that Rome was an Empire and had a much greater area to affect - Greece wasn't a country but a bunch of city states that had some cultural similarities (but not all the same).

The Greeks set the foundations of history, but the Romans finished it and lived there....

D

7. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Being Greek, I'm gonna have to vote the Greeks on this one. I mean, come on. The Romans just stole everything from us and pretended it was their own. Didn't even come up with their own gods!

8. snkTab macrumors 6502a

snkTab

I vote greek. Roman definetly took a lot from greek culture, to the point where Greek was the new Phoenician.

Well, let me rephrase that. Greek probally left the greatest cultural impact while Romans left a great historical impact. It's hard to say which left the greatest impact as roman society adopted a lot from Greek and built upon it. The height of the classical period being during the Roman empire, but the foundation of classical thought was Greek.

Kinda like saying which had the better impact, the iPod or the iPod Nano. One started a revolution, the other is just so much kickass.

9. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I gotta go with the Romans on both counts (innovation and impact).

I grant the Greeks their contributions, which were immense. They excelled at math and philosophy, and they laid the foundations for most of the science of the Roman era.

However... the Romans were engineers on a grander scale than anyone before them. The levels of civilization revealed by excavations of places like Pompeii show just how advanced they were in terms of day-to-day living than the Greeks. Running water, for the sake of the stolen-from-the-Greeks-gods!

And their military technology and engineering were truly stunning. And let's not forget the roads they built which still exist in places.

Too bad they had so much lead in their water and wine....

10. ibilly macrumors regular

Romans bc of concrete, and architecture in general. They may have used the ionic rules, but those are simply aesthetic 'guidelines' which are supposed to beautify a building, and give continuity between diff buildings. Both the Parthenon and Brunelleschi's dome are incredible works of architecture, the first beign done with feet and feet of concrete (esp. the type which the romans poineered, which wasn't elastic and mushy for months), and teh second being a work of genius as it was done completely without a centering (it was built completely freestanding, without the traditional braces). Counter philosiphy with art. Folks like Galileo and Columbus are also great Italian innovators (Columbus' morals aside, he got across the atlantic).

that's my take

11. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

mmmh, I agree on the architecture, but you are using the wrong examples: Brunelleschi was a genius, but he was not a Roman, he came over a thousand years later. same for galileo and columbus.
    Italian Reinassance and Roman Empire are quite distinct, even if geographically overlapping

12. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

one more thing: the effect of the greek culture is significant because of the roman assimilation and of the extention and lenght of the roman empire. greek culture was already declining when the romans took over, and it might not have survived if the romans hadn't spread it allover.

13. snkTab macrumors 6502a

snkTab

Also, even though Romans were masters of warfare. The best battles were greek. Awesome stories to tell on those.

14. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Or... the Greeks were good at spinning epic tales of their wars, some of which went on for years. The Romans just demolished their enemies and moved on. Their battles weren't as "good" because they were so quick and decisive.