Greeks

Discussion in 'Community' started by Macpoops, Aug 5, 2003.

1. Macpoops macrumors 6502

Any of you in the College and up crowd in a Fraternity or Sorority? Just wondering if their are any other greeks out there?

I'm a brother of Sigma Alpha Epsilon if your curious

2. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Guess it's official you're an ...

:p

4. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

National Womens ... Sorority?

Sure... Sure.

5. kaltsasa macrumors 6502a

I'm in college and I'm actually greek, as in from the country Greece. You guys enjoy your 3 letters. I get the whole alphabet. ;)

Seriously though, as long as your not from ZBX your ok by me. :)

6. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

when i was in school, my roomate was in 0X, or something like that...i am pretty sure it wasn't OSX

7. NavyIntel007 macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

Alpha Sigma Phi :rolleyes:

edit: Sorry, read your letters wrong.

To all you pre-college people out there... do yourself a favor and don't go greek. It's a waste of time. Nothing they tell you during rush is true. It's not about brotherhood, there is none. It's about beer, drugs and chicks. If you don't want any of that you won't belong.

8. mtuTopHat macrumors newbie

I'm in a national honorary musical fraternity, and it's not all about beer, drugs and "chicks". none of it is about beer and drugs, and we're a co-ed fraternity, so it's not about the "chicks" either because I'm pretty sure the women in our fraternity aren't doing it for the "chicks." And, since I go to a university that's almost all male, and pretty much all computer geeks, I think it's safe to say we're not doing it for the chicks.
    Our chapter does community service work all around town, and we raise money and help sell tickets for the fine arts department at our university.
    Also, there is brotherhood. I trust the brothers with my life. We all support each other. I can talk to anyone of them at anytime without worry.
    So, to all of you that have preconceived notions about people living the Greek life, you're just being prejudice.

9. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    i fail to see the problem....;)

i was an independent.

though if i had to choose one organization to join it would have been the delta zeta's. :D

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I always thought that the 3 greek letters thrown together in these Frat house names or whatever were just random greek letters. Being Canadian and not knowing much about Fraternities, I only know what I see in American movies and television. It looks like an excuse to party.........that is all. Its gay. Do you really need to go through a lame ritual to get friends in order to drink and have fun? I thought people did that anyway, regardless of whether you were part of a frat or not. Damn, thats lame. I do all that crap and then some just by living with friends at University. I've graduated this year, but we've done some crazy sheeeit during our day.

I think I'll call ourselves: Zeta Alpha Gamma Omega Chi Rho.

11. dynamicd macrumors 6502

I'm in Sigma Nu at U of Iowa and there are a couple fraternities that are just about partying and drugs, but a majority of them are about brotherhood. It definitely helps the transition from high school to college b/c you have a place to begin with making friends. Sure, partying and girls is involved but that's always involved in college. Being in a fraternity is about always having someone there for you. Some guys have had family emergenices and have needed a car to drive back home and a guy in the fraternity will lend him his car for as long as necessary. Also, I like sports and exercising and theres always at least a couple guys willing to do that with me. And if you're having trouble in a certain class, chances are there is an older guy in the house who has taken it and can help you out. Everybody stereotypes fraternities when they haven't been in one or have had a bad experience with one.
    On my dorm floor, there were a couple other guys in other fraternities and they always had something to do while all the independents hung out with the same people night after night or they just sat in their room and did nothing. Anyways, this is getting too long. If there is anybody out there going to college pretty soon, I would suggest that you at least go through rush and see if there any fraternities that interest you. You don't have to join one and at least you'll know a little bit about what they're about.

12. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i think how one parties is a personal matter

many who condemn fraternities for being too wild who are independent are much more wild than the fraternities...i was independent but hung out with a group of hard core party animals and it didn't do much to help my gpa

fraternities had their limits on our campus, otherwise they would get kicked out...but non fraternity people were not being watched and all types of crazy behavior happened behind closed doors and sometimes out in the open

while the cops were busy keeping an eye on the fraternities and cruised around the fraternity houses, random idiots who got too drunk started all types of mayhem just down the street and often did not get caught

one spring, a lot of non fraternity out of towners crashed the campus party and lit cars on fire and rolled over police cars and basically trashed the city...and if not caught, all got back in their cars and went home

i think the age and being away from parents is too much of a temptation for many...fraternities or not

13. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I admire the Greek language for it's contribution to the New Testament. I'm a member of a fraternity PI Sigma ETA, its a National Morticians fraternity!

14. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

Phi Mu Alpha. Music Fraternity. Had a LOT of fun with those guys. Still talk to them all of the time after 10 + years. Two of my fraternity brothers were grromsen in my wedding.

Regards,
    Gus

15. Macpoops thread starter macrumors 6502

I really dislike it when people make slanderous statements like that. you obviously are not greek. And are falling to the standard Stereotype placed on all fraternities. I can tell you right now that everything i was told during rush was the absolute truth. I was told no hazing and it was no hazing. I was told i would never be forced to do something i didn't feel comfortable doing and i did not have to do anything that made me feel uncomfortable

And if it's all about Beer, Drugs and Chicks then why do we volunteer for Adopt-a-highway(picking up trash on the side of the road) and Why do we annually raise money for MS and Childrens Miracle Network.

(By the way don't make the arguement that it is for community service as punishment, cause it's not)

Please do not make uneducated statements like that because they only misinform others and turn them off to something that could greatly benefit them. If it's not for you ok i can accept that, it's not for everyone but don't go spreading the hate. Spread the love...

16. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

I'm going to be a sophomore in the fall, which is when you're allowed to rush at my school, Union College. It's actually become a sad indication of the decline of frats at Union, which was where the first greek fraternity (Alpha Delta Theta, still on campus, although no longer in their original house) was started, and Union is also the location of several other fraternities alpha chapters. The administration is slowing moving the frats off campus- in two years 5 frats that were on campus my freshman year will be moved off campus or into dorms.

Anyway, after having to wait until your sophomore year, you have a good idea what frats you would be most interested in pledging before rush even begins. I personally find the idea of me pledging unlikely, but am still planning on rushing.

17. Macpoops thread starter macrumors 6502

See thats the attitude i like. Your skeptical but your still going to give it a shot just in case. I pledged as a first semester sophmore, even though we can pledge as freshman. I also was skeptical as i said before. But found a group i clicked with plus a few of my friends pledged, that just got me around the current brothers more and i got to know them. I ended up deciding midway through 2nd semester freshman year that i wanted to rush and if all went well pledge..

I always feel like such a dick explaining the process to a Rushee. You always sound like a pompus as no matter how you try and put it. "Uhh Well IF you get a bid you will be pledging in the spring."

18. mstecker macrumors 6502

Phi Delta Theta (in my college days anyway). Anyone else?

19. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

Not the Ellas forum

What a misleading forum. Looking at the title anyone would think that you would be discussing Ancient Greece, Greek islands, Greek cab drivers, doubts about the Olympics, actors like Elias Kotias and anything else to do with Greeks in general.

20. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

21. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

Re: Not the Ellas forum

that is a valid point

when i hear the term, i think greek fraternities half the time and greek culture the other half

it is amazing what the ancient greeks gave civilization...they practically invented modern civilization

but since the movie...you know the one i am referring to, all i can think of is what that poor soul had to go through to get married

btw...my wife is greek american and i am not:p

22. Macpoops thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry about that. Maybe i should have been a bit more specific in the title. Ehh too late now

23. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

the whole greek system has become mainly an extension of high school for those who were left out of all the fun stuff to do during high school. i work in the gameroom at my college, and lots of frats (oh wait they are "fraternities" i was told "frats" is disrespectful :rolleyes: ) and sororities like to rent the place out and go bowling. a few observations: they are very immature, the act like they are more important than the next guy in line, yet they have low self-esteem when not with their "brothers" or "sisters". the whole greek system has changed into a way for those who were left out to get friends--by paying for them. how can something where you "volunteer" your time to clean up highways and raise money be fun when you have to PAY to do it?

oh, and not to mention party. yes, the majority of frats love to throw parties. and they are lame. i went to one, being a naive freshman last fall...we left after a half hour. we had more fun walking around down the street than hanging out at their party.

then once again, there is that whole "pay for friends" thing...why would you do that? oh yeah...that whole "fitting in" thing...tell you what guys--you'll fit in better by being yourself and walk around the dorms and just say hi to everyone with their door open. keep your door open and be nice to everyone. i did that, and now i can't walk to class without being stopped by at least 10 people i know really well. and that's quite a lot at the U...considering there are 50,000 students, it's like an entire city in another city...lots of people have freaked out and dropped out of school because they felt too insignificant and didn't have any friends in such a huge place.

and don't even get me started on sororities...i hate sororities and the drama queen girls in them...i had a really bad experience with a good friend who ended up joining a sorority...i tried being friends with her, until her "sisters" became more important than her old best friend. we don't talk anymore...i hate her.

get a hold of the song "fraternity record" by 2 Live Crew.

24. mtuTopHat macrumors newbie

the whole greek system has become mainly an extension of high school for those who were left out of all the fun stuff to do during high school

FYI, I was not one of those people that was left out of all the fun stuff. high school was a blast for me. I had a great time and I don't feel like I was left out of anything.

they are very immature

I'm sorry that you think that people who like to be young and have fun and not have to worry about what other people are thinking, are immature.

oh, and not to mention party. yes, the majority of frats love to throw parties. and they are lame. i went to one, being a naive freshman last fall...we left after a half hour. we had more fun walking around down the street than hanging out at their party.

"The majority" + "I went to one party" = "I don't know what I'm talking about"
    Also, you went to one party, and thought it was lame. ok, so maybe that one was lame, but maybe another one will be fun. Every party to which I have gone, both at my fraternity and others, I and all of my friends have had fun, and fun didn't involve getting trashed.

tell you what guys--you'll fit in better by being yourself and walk around the dorms and just say hi to everyone with their door open. keep your door open and be nice to everyone.

I did all that and fit in great long before I became a brother. Most of the brothers were my friends long before I joined, and I still hang out with all my other friends on an almost daily basis.

i hate sororities and the drama queen girls in them...i had a really bad experience with a good friend who ended up joining a sorority...i tried being friends with her, until her "sisters" became more important than her old best friend. we don't talk anymore...i hate her.

obviously, either you weren't being a good friend by talking to her about the way you felt, or she just wasn't a good friend in the first place if she decided to stop talking to you because she joined a sorority.

I'm sorry, your argument just has many flaws in it.

25. crenz macrumors 6502a

crenz

Sorry guys, as a non-American, this is all Greek to me.

SCNR :D

Actually, we do have something like fraternities/sororities here in Germany. They use latin names though, but apart from that I guess they are quite similar.