Green Acres

Discussion in 'Community' started by Thomas Veil, Apr 6, 2004.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Anybody watch the marathon on TV Land over the weekend?

I have to say, of all the "rural comedies" CBS had back in the '60s, this was the only one I liked...and that's because, unlike the other shows, this one came with a healthy dose of surrealism.

For instance, one episode they showed this weekend had Mr. Ziffel outside Mr. Douglas' house, knocking on the front door. Mr. Ziffel has his back to us, and while he's knocking, the credit "Produced by..." literally flies onto the screen behind his back. He turns around, and the credit flies away, leaving Mr. Ziffel looking puzzled. As he knocks again, the credit "Written by..." flies onto the screen, and again, Mr. Ziffel turns around just after it flies off the screen. The third time, "Directed by..." appears, and Mr. Ziffel turns around really fast to catch it, but too late, it's gone.

A co-worker told me the credits once appeared over Oliver and Lisa while they were sleeping. Lisa wakes up and reads them, then wakes up Oliver and asks, "Olivah...what is an Executive Producer?" :p

Or how about whenever Mr. Douglas made one of his speeches, and people would comment on the musical accompaniment. ("He's done. You can stop playing the fife now.")

I also liked all the junk Mr. Haney used to try to sell to Mr. Douglas.

It's nice to have it back on TV Land. I'd forgotten how funny that show was.

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

that show was pretty bizarre in a way, i loved it when i was a kid. didn't see the marathon but as luck would have it, caught an episode last week for the first time in over a decade... weird to see it after that long. Never realized how incredibly sexist the show is, but i don't think it's nearly as intentional as other shows from the period... Reminds me of "the simple life" in rich party girls hitting the farm. Okay, that's way too deep of an analysis.

I do remember the one you mentioned, "olivah, vat is an executive producah?" I had forgotten about the interaction with the credits.

:)
    paul

3. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

Yah but can anything beat Mr. Ed? I mean a talking horse?!!? ;)

Then again there is Batman.... had a crush on Julie Newmar (catwoman) when I was little. At least I did until I saw an after photo of her. DAMN! :eek: She didn't age all that well.
    Beyond that Batman was just campy as heck. The stupidity of the show amazes me to this day. The only thing that could equal it was Lost in Space.

4. rt_brained macrumors 6502a

IMHO not a single one of those shows can hold a candle to Green Acres. Even as a kid, I knew Green Acres' comedy was a cut above.

The only thing that competes on the same level is Get Smart.

5. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

Aw crap, now I've got the Green Acres theme song stuck in my head...

Green Acres is the place to be, farm living is the life for me...

6. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Screw that, now i have the Get Smart theme song in my head...

Incidentally, anyone seen the movie? (Get smart)... Bought it a few months ago, found it for $4 on DVD. boy, was that price right... they just couldn't capture the magic again, 20 years later.

paul

7. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I can't say that I watched "Get Smart" all that much or remember the theme song. "Green Acres" was a great show, a very catchy theme song.

8. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Actually, I thought both of the Get Smart movies were pretty funny, especially the theatrical one. My favorite scene was where Max tucks his gun back into the waistband of his pants and it goes off. He turns his back to the camera and looks down his pants. The Chief says, "Max, are you all right?" And Max says, "Missed it by that much!"

I happened to be at Jumptheshark.com this weekend, and I noticed that a lot of people think that Green Acres did a "reverse jump"; that is, when they threw the book away and started doing that surrealistic stuff, the show actually got better.

9. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...I always loved the "Hank Kimball" character...the guy that played the role did it so well, makes me laugh just thinking about it...oh yeah!

10. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

I loved both those shows (and didn't think the Get Smart movies were much good). Too bad I don't get TV Land.

Actually there's an even older show I thought was great - The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet (I'm not quite that old, but it was shown on the Disney Channel back in the 90s). Most people haven't seen it, but it has a reputation that's almost totally wrong. That show pioneered a number of oddball techniques such as having the actors suddenly start talking to the camera in the middle of a scene. Anyway O&H had some of the best screwball comedy routines ever written - especially the oldest ones.

BTW the Batman TV show was being made when I was maybe 7 or 8. I had no idea it was at all campy until I saw it in reruns maybe five years ago. :D

11. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

The 60s Batman TV show came back in reruns and in popularity when Tim Burton's Batman movie came out in 1989. It was probably on Nick at Nite, I don't remember. But that dudda-dudda-dudda-dudda song was hard to avoid!

12. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Yeah, he was funny, but I think if I knew somebody like that in real life it would be kind of irritating. Well, not really irritating, more like annoying. Well, not really annoying. Actually, it'd probably drive me up a wall. Then again...what were we talking about?? :confused: