Green Day and Red Hot Chili Peppers on iTMS

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, Dec 11, 2003.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

Both Green Day and (some) Red Hot Chili Peppers have appeared on Apple's iTunes Music Store.

While we don't normally report on band appearances on iTunes, both of these bands were previously reported as bands that were unwilling to agree to Apple's iTunes Music Store terms.

Specifically there were concerns about allowing the same of individual songs off of albums -- rather then the album as a collective unit.

Admittedly, the Red Hot Chili Peppers' album is a Greatest Hits collection and may not represent a change in policy for the band. However, as more and more online music stores make their way into the market, bands may be pressured into participating in digital music distribution.

2. macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

great to hear about the peppers... but i swear i downloaded a green day album a few months back... shenanigans... what gives?

paul

3. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Not sure when Green Day were added.

The Reuter's article was in July... so perhaps sometime in between. ;)

arn

4. macrumors 6502a

Sabenth

i noticed this the other day too intresting shows that they might be looking and learning these big named artists

5. macrumors 6502a

bring on Dave Matthews Band

6. macrumors 68020

SeaFox

They're both mediocre. Who cares?

7. macrumors 603

shadowfax

green day is mediocre, but red hot chili peppers has a lot of really good stuff. it's good to see them put their tale in between their legs and agree to make some money.

8. macrumors member

I demand Madonna, Radiohead, (flac too, but thats another issue).

9. macrumors regular

Now how does one link to a iTunes album from a web page link?

That was cool to say the least.

hmmm interesting....

[a href="c.php?u=itms%3A%2F%2Fphobos.apple.com%2FWebObjects%2FMZStore.woa%2Fwa%2FviewAlbum%3FplaylistId%3D3625843"]album[/a]

<a
    href="c.php?u=itms%3A%2F%2Fphobos.apple.com%2FWebObjects%2FMZStore.woa%2Fwa%2FviewAlbum%3FplaylistId%3D3625843">album</a>

how does the html info breakdown?

I see the playlist id, how does one get that? What does it all mean?

Thanks

10. macrumors regular

In iTMS, find any link to the song, album or artist you want to link to. Then right-click or CTRL-click and select "Copy iTunes Music Store URL".

This URL will work with Safari or Explorer when pasted or as a link in a Web page or email.

Very cool indeed.

11. macrumors regular

Very cool indeed,

thanks

Under the Bridge 4:24 Red Hot Chili Peppers Red Hot Chili Peppers: Greatest Hits $0.99

nope didn't work

what do I have to click on?

12. macrumors 68020

winmacguy

Although we cant get iTMS in NZ yet I would have to say that getting bands to release straight onto the iTMS would have to be a good thing and could be a sign of things to come.

13. macrumors 603

shadowfax

radiohead... what a nutty issue. they are mac users, they have a very iTunes personality... the only conclusion i can draw is that EMI, their label, sucks the big one.

14. macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

15. macrumors regular

16. macrumors 68020

winmacguy

can anyone else confirm this?

http://www.internet-nexus.com/2003_12_07_archive.htm#107099248777120375

iTunes sales dropping significantly as holidays near
    In the Steve Jobs Rolling Stone interview I mentioned yesterday, his Royal RealityFieldness casually noted that the total number of songs sold on the iTunes Music Store rose to over 20 million downloads, up from 17 million in early November. That sounds great, but a cursory examination of Apple's publicly-revealed sales figures and the dates of those announcements reveals that iTunes sales are actually falling through the floor. This is particularly amazing because the service is now open to a much wider range of users since the company opened it up to Windows users, which account for about 95 percent of all computer users. On October 20, shortly after the Windows version of iTunes was released, Apple said it had sold over 15 million songs, or an average of 285,714 songs per day since the previous sales announcement. On November 6, the company revealed it had sold 17 million songs, or an average of 250,000 songs per day, a slight drop. But this week's sales figures reveal that average daily sales have dropped dramatically, to just 93,750 songs a day. What does this mean? Well, it suggests that most people who tried the service downloaded a few songs and then never returned. Apple hasn't seen attrition that high since it switched its free iTools service to the paid .Mac service over a year ago, and it represents a significant challenge for the company, since it's still losing money on iTunes and is facing significant competition for its popular iPod. Here are how Apple's average daily sales have tracked since the service was first launched in April 2003. Note that they're almost down to the level they were at before Windows users jumped on board. Not good.

If this is true it is pretty scary...?

17. macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Nice to see the Chili Peppers added. Maybe this'll give me an opportunity to listen to some of their lesser known songs.

18. macrumors 603

shadowfax

don't count on it... this is just their greatest hits album :(

19. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Re: can anyone else confirm this?

Um... you can't calculate these numbers without knowing WHEN the 20 million song figure was generated.

They guy assumes the 20 million song is current as of today it seems, and not at some time prior to when the interview actually took place. Obviously the end date of that # affects it.

arn

20. macrumors 6502a

Belly-laughs

Yertle the Turtle

21. macrumors 68020

winmacguy

Re: Re: can anyone else confirm this?

Well he does say
    "But this week's sales figures reveal that average daily sales have dropped dramatically, to just 93,750 songs a day. What does this mean? " and the date above that says Tuesday, December 09, 2003
    So I am taking that to be pretty current, also the graph falls dramatically after November 28th to about 90,000 down from 290,000 either way it makes for interesting reading even though we all know that the iTMS is meant as a loss leader for the iPod anyway.

22. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Re: Re: Re: can anyone else confirm this?

http://www.internet-nexus.com/2003_12_07_archive.htm#107099248777120375

Thurrott gets the 20 million figure from Steve Jobs' Rolling Stones interview. (This number was also echoed by Peter Lowe at the iHolywood Forum's Music 2.0 conference. )

The interview took place sometime before it was published. It is dated on Dec 3rd. So, unless the Rolling Stone guy was writing it with Steve in his office and typed it straight to the website... the interview took place at an unspecified time before Dec 3rd.

Point is, it's just made up numbers without a date on that figure. This blogger (incorrectly) assumes these numbers apply to "this week" (Dec 8th).

As of November 6th - 17 million songs sold (according to the blog)

It's only 4 weeks ago... so we can do some calcuations depending on the actual date of the 20million number.

Assume 20 million songs were sold as of the following dates, and you get these numbers:

Nov 13 => 428,571 songs a day
    Nov 20 => 214,285 songs a day
    Nov 27 => 142,857 songs a day
    Dec 3 => 111,111 songs a day

So, it's certainly not December 3rd. It takes some time to write an article. And... the 20 million figure may not have been "fresh" right when steve was interviewed.

The point is, it's all speculation... just because someone can draw a pretty graph doesn't mean they know what they are talking about.

(a better guess would place it between 142,000-214,000/songs/day. but again, it's just a guess)

arn

23. macrumors regular

wooo. it's about time.

24. macrumors 6502a

Peyote

Re: can anyone else confirm this?

He's not taking into account other factors...such as the fact that this is right before the holidays. I would expect iTMS sales to drop as people are spending money on physical gifts, not downloadable songs.

25. macrumors 65816

jholzner

Well, I'm glad to hear that your musical opinion should be the gold standard by which things should be judeged before anything is added to the iTMS. Music snobs are so annoying.