Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lukas58527

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2008
Can anybody help me please recognise the problem with my powerbook?

See attached photo.

the glittering is appearing over screen of my powerbook sometimes for a minute sometimes for longer period (10-15 minutes) and after disappear. Also it has variable intensity. affecting anything what is on the screen.

thanks for your help and answers

Attachments

• screenshot1.jpg
    screenshot1.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 70

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
Look like your graphics card is either

1) On it's way out
2) Overheating
3) or Damaged

How hot is the computer getting?

It may also mean that the solder holding the graphics chip to the logic board is deteriorating.
(Over time the change of state from very hot to very cold (ie off) the card begins to bend and break the solder.)

If this is the case, the only solution would be having the logic board being replaced or looked at by Apple or if you want to risk it and have the technical skills, dismantle the computer, and apply pressure to the chip (same as with the iBook graphics problem).

Lukas58527

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2008
Thanks for your fast respond.

My powerbook is nearly 3yo. and is still under waranty which is good. but I had this problem few months ago and apple store (where i bought this comp) told me "there were bad sectors on my hard drive" (I'm not a "pro" but working on apple computers 10years and i think its bulshit what they said) and replace it of course problem wasn't solve. next day it was same.

back to your comments:

I think bottom of the computer is pretty hot.

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
Definitely take it back, I'm fairly confident that you need a new graphics chip (a whole new logicboard as they are soldered together). I've had the same issue on one of my G4 towers, swapping out the graphics card fixed it.

I cannot see how a hard disk would be related to the symptoms you show. :confused: Magnetic interference? I just don't know. :confused:

For future usage (after your replacement hopefully), the rapid very hot to very cold states is bad for graphics cards and laptop components in general. I know there are times when you need to perform demanding tasks, but try to keep operating temperatures low.

This can be done by reducing CPU performance in the Energy Saver control panel (remember to do it for both battery and power adapter). Also look into a cooling stand.

You could also use a program which controlls fan speed. I like G4fancontrol. I lower all three threshold sliders to around 43°C, as I use my G4 just for the basics, experiment and see what works best for you.

Good luck :)

Lukas58527

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2008
Thanks for your comments and i'm agree with you.
When i will have back my powerbook, "fancontrol" will be first thing what i will install on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.