"Green Lantern" creator dead at 91

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Lyle, Dec 14, 2006.

1. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Link

I've always liked Green Lantern, but I was more of a fan of the "Silver Age" Green Lantern (Hal Jordan) drawn by Gil Kane. I guess that's why I've never heard of Mr. Nodell's name until now.

The CNN Story goes on to mention that later in his career in advertising, Mr. Nodell was part of the design team that came up with the Pillsbury Doughboy. So that's pretty cool too!

2. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Yeah, I saw that, and like you, I grew up with Hal Jordan, not Alan Scott.

I always wanted to know the origin story of the Green Lantern, though. The Alan Scott version involves some ancient lantern out of which he formed a magic ring. I assume the whole origin was retrofitted when Hal Jordan appeared, since the aliens from Oa seem to have planted Green Lanterns all around the universe?

3. Lyle thread starter macrumors 68000

Lyle

Oh yes -- the origin story was completely revamped for Hal Jordan's Green Lantern. AFAIK it had no ties to the Alan Scott Green Lantern.

4. Jon'sLightBulbs macrumors 6502a

In other news, the Macrumors Community forum has become a repository for obscure obituaries. The OP could not be reached for comment, but his publicity agent has confirmed that yes, he has finished his algebra homework tonight!

5. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

It's not necessary to be quite so snarky.

And "obscure" is in the eye of the beholder. A while back I mentioned the death of Joseph Stefano, writer of "Psycho" and producer of The Outer Limits. I'm sure more than a few people are familiar with those works.

6. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Being 36 years of age (according to his profile), the OP perhaps deserves detention for having taken so bloody long. :D

7. MatthewCobb macrumors regular

Well I clicked on the thread, having nearly fallen asleep over all that stuff about the iPhone (even mentioning it makes me want to yawn).

Obscure Nodell may have been (like other posters, I only ever knew the Kane version), but he attracted my attention in death in a way he never did in life, which is better than nothing, I suppose.

Gotta dash - still haven't finished my algebra...