Green Light for Audi R8

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by alexstein, Nov 15, 2005.

1. alexstein macrumors 6502a

alexstein

Audi just made an official statement that they are going to built a new Audi sports car called the R8. This car will be heavily based on the Audi Concept car "Le Mans" that was first presented to the public in 2003.

Audi R8

I hope Audi goes the same route with this car as they did with the TT back in the day. When the TT first debut Audi only made minor changes before the car went into production. Unfortunately the article does not go into any detail about drive train or chassis configuration.

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I've been drooling over this car since 2003... still got a picture of it up on my fridge.

Sadly, the picture shown on that page is already out-of-date... I've seen newer spy pics that don't look as good...

3. alexstein thread starter macrumors 6502a

alexstein

Yes you are right. I wish they would have shown a real picture of the car rather then the old image of the concept. However I have not seen any spy pics or engine configurations whatsoever. If you have any feel free to post them.

4. jeffy.dee-lux macrumors 6502a

5. portent macrumors 6502a

Will this replace the TT, or will Audi keep that alongside?

6. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

No, this is a "supercar" in the $80K - $120K range (probably at the high end of that range)... its competition is the Lamborghini Gallardo and a couple of models of Ferrari and Porsche.

The TT will continue, although it too is being redesigned in a way which I do NOT find appealing. (Says Clay, the owner of 2 TTs... a 2000, and now a 2002 quattro.)

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Is that ugly red 4 door sedan the "R8"?? :mad:

Like the 2 door sporty one much better, obviously. Why ruin a good thing?

Oh wait, is this R8 the name of the car that'll get the same engine as the Gallardo (but slightly modified/better)??

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It's just the test mule. It's a regular Audi A6 that's been fitted out with the internals of what will hopefully one day be the R8. :)

9. alexstein thread starter macrumors 6502a

alexstein

Yes, It is supposed to be. It's probably going to share the engine and the allwheel drive system with the Gallardo. However the engine will be slightly detuned for the R8.(AFAIK)

10. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

A lot of what was on the Le Mans show car was pretty unlikely to ever make it to the production line, so I'm curious how much of the show car remains when they unveil the production car....

I'm sure it will be very fast, but I'd rather have a Ferrari 430.

11. jeffy.dee-lux macrumors 6502a

i don't think this car is meant to compete with the F430 or the Gallardo (VW owns lamborghini too, don't wanna cannibalize their own sales...). Instead this thing is gonna be more in the range of say a 911S or the AMV8. Last thing i read about it, in the french version of EVO a couple months ago (1st issue ever!), they said there could be several powerplants going into it as options. I think they were saying there could even be a V6 model, as well as the V10 and possibly a V8

12. electronboy macrumors 6502

13. iGav macrumors G3

The images I've seen, suggest it isn't all that different shape wise from the current model, with the exception of improved aerodynamics, and the possibility of THAT shooting brake model.

I was reading Autocar yesterday, and it looks like they might bringing back the legendary Quattro Coupe, and it looks just dandy to me. :D

Regarding the R8, they need to sort the side intakes out between the B/C pillars, because it's horrifically unresolved as it is. :eek:

14. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

Yeah....go for it........just when will BMW give an a follow up of the M1 :(

15. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

My favorite Audi! I almost bought an old Audi Coupe GT a couple years ago just because it looks just like the Quattro. Love that shape.

16. iGav macrumors G3

Just so you don't start saving just yet... it doesn't really look anything like the original Quattro (sadly), it's a handsome thing though... and probably the best implementation of Audi's new snout I've seen yet.

Speaking of Audi, I stumbled on the Audi channel again last night (i'd completely forgotten about it) and they were showing the old rallying footage from the early '80's with the Quattro :D I'd completely forgotten how mad rallying was in the '80's, incredible speed and DRIFTING.... :eek: those cars could DRIFT. :D

We need to ban the tech from WRC and boost power!!! :D

17. takao macrumors 68040

takao

so what's next ? audi saying that they will make their comback in the wrc ?

;)

i wonder if they ever could re-do such a hit, no make that "legend", as the ur-"quattro"

18. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Group B rallying was then and is still the most epic auto racing ever seen! It's just about the only thing you could watch on TV that could make you soil yourself... Those drivers knew no fear.:eek: :eek:

BTW what is the Audi channel? Obviously not something available to us yanks.

19. iGav macrumors G3

F1 actually. ;)

Not with anywhere near the same resonance that's for sure.

20. iGav macrumors G3

Lucky then that the cars live on in Rally Cross events... :D

It's Audi's TV channel of course ;) they show reviews of their cars, how they're made, Audi Design, Audi Young Designers Foundation, old Grand Prix racing (Auto Union etc) but more importantly... rallying :D but not just any rallying, 1980's rallying :D from when the Quattro first launched with Michelle Mouton behind the wheel. :D

Did I mention those cars could DRIFT??? :eek: :eek: :D

Speaking of drifiting... have you ever seen 'Climb Dance'??? :D

21. BrandonSi macrumors regular

mmmm.. R8.... might be time to trade in my TT! Wonder how much it'll go for.

22. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Speaking of audi,

Here is an article wrote on the Shooting Brake concept, it isn't professional and sure to have some errors, but I don't do it for money :)

If this car does go into production, I may have to get one (seriously). I am not a huge fan of the styling, but I do like it better then the MK-V VW Golf.

[​IMG]

http://www.neuwerks.com/newsite/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=26&Itemid=1

If the R8 looks like the LM or Nuvolari Quattro I am going to be drooling allot. I got to see the LM Quattro at NAIAS during one of my media trips. Great looking car!

23. iGav macrumors G3

Is that your site fella? :)

From the second pic, it's easy to envisage how the coupe version will look... still loving the snout though. :D

24. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

I can't claim it as mine, however I am the admin, and currently (this will hopefully change soon) the only person posting articles. This site is setup, and run by a group of friends I have.

That's what I was also thinking upon first glimpse of the picture. I love the interior, and could get used to the side profile over time. It actually reminds me of a Clio V6 from the side and back, which isn't a bad thing, as I like that car as well :).

25. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG