GreenManGaming any good? Skyrim is $53 vs $90 from Steam?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by MythicFrost, Nov 10, 2011.

1. macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Hey,

What's everyone's thoughts on GMG? Is it any good? Skyrim is only $53 US from them, but $90 US from Steam. (I'm in Australia.)

What's with the price difference?

2. macrumors 6502

I've heard nothing but good from them, a few friends of mine bought Deus Ex when it launched and it all worked fine.

3. macrumors 6502

I got Worms Reloaded and Nuclear Dawn (both Steam codes) a while back with a coupon code. Great service, I recommend GMG.

4. macrumors 6502a

archurban

I heard that Australia has very high price for video games. I don't still understand. buy cheaper one. you will have to activate on steam anyway. so retail version or other digital version are all the same as Steam version. $53 sounds cheaper for you. go & get it.:)

5. macrumors Core

Dagless

GMG are good for consumers, yeah I'd go for it.

Just don't get me started on distributing through them...

6. macrumors 65816

another +1 for GMG

especially for steam games like Skyrim, just pop the code into steam and you are off to the races

7. macrumors 68000

There's pretty much always coupon codes too, so look for one before buying.

8. thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Thank you all for your replies! For some reason I'm not getting subscription notifications for this thread in my CP, so I only noticed it now :eek:

I decided to buy it last night, however, I received a 747 reference error and I'm currently waiting on support to contact me... I'd like to be playing the game!

9. macrumors G3

Huntn

I noticed at Amazon it's listed as $59.99 for all versions of the game. Buy.com has it for $55. For future reference, would either of these be options for the OP in Australia?

Regarding the $59.99, usually (in the States) this is the price of console games, while PC games have usually run about $50, except it's been quite a while since I've purchased a PC game. Did prices go up?

10. thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Thanks for that, I'd rather buy a digital copy of the game than a physical copy though. I've tried to proceed through GMG and I think I'll go with them since you're just buying a key to use in Steam, and I can get it for $54.

Oh, I see. That makes sense, $90 is about the price of console games in Australia. I think prices have gone up and I think they're continuing to do so.

11. macrumors 68000

Quite the opposite I'd say. In Australia you can pretty much get every console game for $78 now, which isn't too bad. Only $18 more than the US.

12. macrumors 6502a

Question about Steam:

how do they know 280,000 users are simultaneouly playing SkyRim? Do you have to connect to steam in order to play? Does this game require some sort of online validation to continue working? ....with the Steam servers?

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2011/11/skyrim-sales

13. macrumors 6502

Skyrim needs Steam to activate, and most users have Steam running while they play.

14. macrumors 6502a

Oh, so Steam is a genuine certifier for certain games? Like you would install steam as a background task with your game DVD and then it stays there until you uninstall/kill it?

15. thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

I just checked pricing for XBox 360 and PS3 versions of Battlefield 3. It's $88 for the PC, and $108 for the former two.
    You can't shut down Steam while running a Steam game.