Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johncrab

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Greenpeace, like MADD, AARP and other organizations started with some clear goals and lost their was as it became another org that exists in order to exist. The primary aim of all of these groups is to raise money to keep going and adding to their own bureaucracies. Greenpeace performs a stunt like this now and then to appear relevant just as AARP runs an occasional commercial or publishes an editorial. Yet, these groups really don't do anything but take up space.

The truth is that Apple and other companies are way out in front of Greenpeace on this one, developing solar farms to power their data centers. Apple even let a huge contract months ago to install a solar power station at its North Carolina data center. If GP bothered to read the newspapers they would know this. None of these orgs should be taken seriously.

Adidas Addict

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
England
sex+pistols+kill+the+hippies+front.jpg

peb123

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2010
Where is Paul Watson these days? I'm sure he would have something to say about Greenpeace. Haha. In other news, Discovery Channel is starting up a new show "Datacenter Wars". Sweet, can't wait.

Classic :). Makes me wonder: How much greenhouse gas does their anti-whale fleet produce?

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
Greenpeace, like MADD, AARP and other organizations started with some clear goals and lost their was as it became another org that exists in order to exist. The primary aim of all of these groups is to raise money to keep going and adding to their own bureaucracies. Greenpeace performs a stunt like this now and then to appear relevant just as AARP runs an occasional commercial or publishes an editorial. Yet, these groups really don't do anything but take up space.

The truth is that Apple and other companies are way out in front of Greenpeace on this one, developing solar farms to power their data centers. Apple even let a huge contract months ago to install a solar power station at its North Carolina data center. If GP bothered to read the newspapers they would know this. None of these orgs should be taken seriously.

If Mike Daisey cloned himself and decided to talk about the environment he'd be Greenpeace.

Would be nice if the press would give time to people concerned about the environment instead of a bunch of liars.

Silverfist

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2008
Silicon Valley
Greenpeace = watermelon

Greenpeace is like a watermelon -- really only green on the outside, and all pink inside.

When the founder quits because the group's lost focus on the actual issues and just wants to be extreme for the sake of being extreme, that's a pretty clear sign a group's lost its way.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Someone lock down those nuts! One thing is to protest, another to illegally climb up roofs on private property.

They better drive electric cars; otherwise, they are full of $h!t.

Obiemi

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2010
Oxford, MI
Guess leaflets are green?

Green peace seems to be trying to make one point, while missing another. If you're handing out leaflets, how green can it be?

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
Greenpeace is like a watermelon -- really only green on the outside, and all pink inside.

When the founder quits because the group's lost focus on the actual issues and just wants to be extreme for the sake of being extreme, that's a pretty clear sign a group's lost its way.

What are all the seeds then? Pathological liars?

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009

Plus 1

Many years ago I used to donate to MADD and Green Peace, only to learn that every donation was used to waste my money for additional letters requesting donations. The frequency of these requests was also ridiculous.

While I appreciate somebody highlighting problem areas our society creates. I would like things thought through a little.

Certainly Green Peace has lost it's thinkers. Apple is a great target which generates publicity, but the wrong tree to piss on.

I was thinking to hand deliver this post to them by walking over really fast on my organic cotton socks, but the fumes from the friction my socks would generate may further destroy the ozone layer.

BTW: A good listen: The planet is fine - George Carlin on YouTube

Prohapps

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2010
Vancouver, BC, Canada
By trying to digitalize school books into iPad format. How many trees will Apple end up saving?

How many Companies are now a lot more paperless because of Apple products?

Apple has been working at clean renewable energy way before Greenpeace got caught into this.

oliversl

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
I can't believe I'm saying this, but Greenpeace is BS (in this case). Shame on them, credibility is lost.

flavor4real

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2012
I wonder how many of them have a iPod, iPhone, or a iPad. I also wonder how many of them backup their devices to the icloud ..... u know.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I guess I am not sure what Apple is misleading here. If they say the datacenter will run on 60% renewable, wouldn't that assume 40% coal, etc?? And I don't think Apple is lying about power usage for datacenter. If they say it's 20, then it's 20, I just don't see Apple lying about something so frivolous.

That would be 40% "coal etc. " not 40% coal. Big difference. According to Greenpeace, Apple used 10% renewable, 55% coal, and presumably 35% that are neither renewable nor coal, or the guys are just very bad at maths.

But Apple doesn't have a big coal fire near their data centre to produce electricity, they get their electricity from the grid like everyone else, and trying to assign some specific energy source is just ridiculous. And arguing about percentages is pointless as well: Who gives a damn what percentage is renewable? What matters is how much in Megawatt _doesn't_ come from renewable sources. According to Greenpeace, 100 MW total, minus 10% = 10 MW renewable, equals 90 MW not renewable. According to Apple, 20 MW total, minus 60% = 12 MW renewable, equals 8 MW not renewable. 90 MW vs. 8 MW, that is the number that counts.

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
Yeah. But that's probably because Americans traditionally don't care a crap about the environment. You are about 20 to 30 years behind Europe when it comes to the protection of the environment and call activists "hippies".

That's BS. Environmental lobbies have always been strong in this country. Go look at how much environmental legislation made it into Obama's stimulus package.

States like California have the same 33% renewable energy by 2020 goal that the European Union has. The US is also the #2 supplier of wind turbines for the entire world.

imagi

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2012
Oh Yeah, greenpeace also needs to reveal to the world they make their banners, protest signs, videos, send text messages and emails on APPLE products. Oh there goes another whale.......

imagi

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2012
Oh Yeah, greenpeace also needs to reveal to the world they make their banners, protest signs, videos, send text messages and emails on APPLE products. Oh there goes another whale.......

I think this is good in the long run, most companies do hide their numbers and hopefully this will "help" make them search for cleaner energy sources.

Henriok

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2002
Gothenburg, Sweden
This is moronic! Greenpeace should WELCOME cloud initiatives, and urge people to move more things into the cloud!
That way we would use LESS energy and FEWER electronic devices. Don't they know that datacenters are fantastically more efficient than home electronics? And recycling of electronics will be a simple things to do if you have tons of it, and everything concentrated in one or a few places instead of it being scattered about in billions of tiny devices.

Morons!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.