Greenpeace Hates Apple.

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by stevento, Jan 9, 2007.

1. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

Look one of these emails they keep sending me.
    They've been protesting outside the NYC 5th Ave Store and they're at MWSF.

Dear Jonathan, January 9, 2007

It's a new year, time for new beginnings… time for a fresh green Apple. Yesterday was the launch of the Macworld Expo in San Francisco, and we decided to help Steve Jobs kick things off with a bang. So we showed the participants of Macworld what's really beneath the skin of their favorite Apple products, by projecting a large video onto the wall of the Apple store down the block from the expo. That's right, what better way to reach the audience of a multimedia giant than to show them a giant multimedia presentation?

We've greened the 5th Avenue Apple store in New York with green lights, we've exposed Apple's core at the MacWorld Expo here in San Francisco, but now it's your turn! Call Steve Jobs right now!

TAKE ACTION!

Today, Steve Jobs will step into the limelight and deliver his keynote address. YOU can encourage him to announce a New Year's resolution to make Apple green.

As an innovative leader, Apple should be serving up clean technology that's safe for its consumers. This year, it would be so sweet to take a bite of green Apple.

Sincerely,

Rick Hind
    Toxics Campaigner

p.s. We'll be here at Macworld all week, so follow what we're up to by reading our staff blogs.

3 Ways to Help
    1: Donate Now
    Help Greenpeace Take a Stand. Become a Member Today.

2: Take Action
    Visit our Action Center and take action today.

3: Tell a Friend
    Forward this message to a friend. Help spread the word.

702 H Street, NW
    Suite 300
    Washington, D.C. 20001
    (800) 326-0959

2. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

Is Apple any trashier than Dell, Gateway, HP, Compaq?

3. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I wish Apple was a little more enviormentaly friendly. You guys havn't seen pictures of where this stuff ends up. Plus, thy're products contain some serious toxins.

http://www.greenpeace.org/apple/about.html

4. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Yeah, is the Greenpeace that used a gas generator to power those green spotlights of theirs? They're attacking a computer company with 5% marketshare because of their popularity instead of HP or Dell with thei 20-30% marketshare? This seems idiotic.

5. After G macrumors 68000

After G

Those pictures of iMac keyboards are Greenpeace being disingenuous ... I mean look at all the PC keyboards underneath.

But people need to learn that keyboards can be cleaned ... sheesh. Throwing away a USB keyboard is inexcusable unless it's broken.

6. highres macrumors 6502a

highres

I'm sure Greenpeace focuses on all the major computer manufacturers not just Apple. They simply wanted to take advantage of the free publicity that MacWorld Expo generated to further their message, which overall is for a good cause and brings awareness about environmental sustainability and green technologies.

7. nightsky macrumors member

8. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

9. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

The really put a lot of effort into going Apple...Apple isn't the worst on of the list, so why make so much fuss about it(this article did, but the past the have)...because Apple the public, cool company. Their just looking to put on a show...also in the chart thing, Dell got points for computer take back program..Apple has one too, and I didn't hear an mention of it, but then again I didn't look 'uper hard.

Edit-Now the new list says Apples the worst...still I didn't see credit for the Apple take back program.

10. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Anybody that associates themselves with GreenPeace should be embarrassed.

Their business practices are completely inappropriate and immature. It has become clear to me that they don't want a better environment - all they want is the publicity.

11. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

This has been talked about several times here. Because Apple is secretive. They don't disclose the details of what they do. So GP completely ignores the good they do. Cutting down extra packaging, offering a recycling program, etc. A company that says it's going to do good things will get higher marks.

Yeah, one of the many reasons even environmentalists don't like GP.

12. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

I wish, mac users, in defending apple, don't lose our humanity.

13. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I don't get what you're trying to say. I have my issues with Apple (Finder, .Mac) but GP giving them a hard time for not disclosing their environmental policies while giving praise to far more wasteful and less environmentally friendly companies just because they talk about what they plan to do seems a bit hypocritical to me. I'm sure Apple can do better, it is just a greedy corp like any other, and they can all do a little better, but GP only hurts their cause when they use tactics like this.

14. Henri Gaudier macrumors 6502a

Henri Gaudier

Everything Greenpeace say on their About the campaign page is perfectly reasonable and I'm glad they are taking Apple to task on their woefully inadequate "friendly" design. 3rd world dumping by 1st world companies is disgusting. As for the idea that it's a personal vendetta - surely this is nonsense. The other companies have given specific dates of when offending toxins will be removed or have removed the worst chemicals already. Apple isn't green in any way that I can see. Soldering chips instead of drop in replacement - everything on the logicboard so if anything goes wrong, like a damaged audio jack it need the whole logic board replacing (This is at least true for the iMac which I know from personal experience) If you want to max out the RAM you have to get rid of the supplied RAM ie 2 x 512 instead of 1 x 1024 - I could go on. Rather than turning on GP we ought to commend them and hopefully Apple will bow to the pressure and then Mac will have the kudos of being the indisputably "best" machine. Then the other manufacturers will have to clean up their acts too. All in all good for man and animals alike. As the great Captain Beefheart says "Clean up the air and treat the animals fair."

15. TheBobcat macrumors 6502

TheBobcat

Whatever, Greenpeace is just an eco-terrorist organization that values trees over human life. While I think we can all agree the environment is one of our most important assets, there's no point in getting your panties in a bunch for unrealistic expectations. I think there's more pressing dangers to the environment out there than iMac keyboards. And of the lot, wouldn't you think the highest volume companies would be the biggest problem? Apple gets attention when its name is thrown out, and Greenpeace is just once again being a whore for said attention because everyone got a job and stopped caring about Earth Day 35 years ago.

16. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Yeah, Greenpeace needs to spend lots more time focusing on oil and gas companies... or are they too scared?

17. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

that's what i'm getting out of all this...

18. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

While I agree with their cause, they aren't helping anything, they're just pissing people off. Plus, there's so many other companies that are just as bad, or worse, for the environment than Apple. Shouldn't they be focusing more on the big picture, instead of a tiny piece?

19. nateDEEZY macrumors 6502a

They should really take into account the volume of mac products out there in comparison with the other big names on that list.

But it would be nice to see :apple: on the forefront promoting a greener apple. :D

20. Turkish macrumors 6502

21. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Greenpeace gets more bang for their buck by going after the highest-profile outfits - it would be harder to get press if they went after some Asian manufacturer nobody has ever heard of.

22. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Apple condemned for consigning toxic computers to China

- The Independent

You'd think that with their 'hippy image' beginnings and 'Think Different' slogans that Apple would want to be the most environmentally friendly company possible?

Yet it looks like Apple still isn't taking seriously the damage that all our new Macs and iPods are doing to the environment.

It's real opportunity missed in my opinion.

23. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Yes, but who do we believe, the company with a bottom line or an extreme left environmentalist group with a specific agenda?

Honestly, it's hard to tell who is telling the truth. Apple and Greenpeace completely disagree. It's interesting that Apple seems to be able to back itself up while Greenpeace continues to deny Apple's proof ... or maybe I'm just skimming this too fast.

24. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Misleading title. There is no mention of Apple in the article sending recyclable parts to Chaina, or being unique in that regard.

PVC as a wedge issue?
    Let me see: You score well by having recycling takeback policies, and this is unaffected by how dirty your production process is. You get penalized for failing to report on polices, no matter how clean the actual product might be.

If you frame the question the right way, you can make the answer be what you want.

25. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

That's not their slogan anymore!!

Not to mention we already have a thread about this...why not just put this in there?

Also I simply can't believe everything greenspace says....they attack Apple as if there the only ones doing it. And now, for the first time in a long time Apple is at the bottom of the list, before this even greenspace said other companys were doing worse things, yet still went after Apple.

Also Apple has not CRT, dropped the iSight and has a computer/iPod take back program