Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blow45

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2011
Dream on. :rolleyes:

What about? So apple isn't THE megarich worldwide corporation and/or greenpeace is not a force for positive change then?

----------

They NEVER INFERNIZE the communists. How come the existence of jobs for vagabonds, uh? To pass the life to infernize everything that is from the USA. They criticize Apple, but they don't criticize companies from China, Iran, Russia, Cuba... why? :mad:

They are criticizing companies from China: Apple.:D Selling like crazy in China, manufacturing in China.

----------

They should be targeted because they lie to push their agenda.

Among the things they've done that make no sense
- Taking North Carolina's state energy portfolio and claiming Apple is tied to those percentages. That's nonsense. On the grid level, a state is not an island - electricity crosses state lines and customer portfolios vary based on contracts
- Claiming they were able to derive the datacenter's load based on how much money Apple spent on the building. That's like me saying I can tell how much power your smartphone uses if you tell me how much you paid for it.
- Scolding Apple for purchasing renewable energy credits. In reality there's no practical alternative
- Claiming if Apple buys a REC and later sells a REC of their own, it's double counting. That's a lie
- Scolding Apple for not pressuring Duke Energy to bring their coal plants offline. Apple doesn't have the leverage to tell Duke Energy what to do and even if they did, Duke would need to build replacement capacity which would take 10-20 years.

Just because you have good intentions or a noble cause doesn't mean you're allowed to lie and peddle BS.

fair points, but companies like apple continuously lie and pebble bs (from the collusion book deal, to the iphone antenna, to the jobs they claim to have created, to the tax loopholes they use, etc. etc.), shouldn't a noble cause make it a bit more allowable to lie?

nice avatar btw.

rsocal

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2008
Southern Ca
F.O. Greenpeace!

Greenpeace can go **** themselves! They don't care about getting the truth, never have!!! I hope Apple puts the facts to them and makes them look stupid like they are!!!:cool::apple::apple::apple:

Poisednoise

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2009
London UK
shouldn't a noble cause make it a bit more allowable to lie?

I don't think so. As soon as you go down that route, anyone can justify anything, by claiming it's a noble cause. Very few fanatics think they are pursuing anything other than a noble cause - once you decide a different set of rules apply to people who are involved with a "noble cause" you end up with people like Breivik in Norway.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
Wow. Did you ever attend school or get an education?
It's hard to believe you ever figured out how to use a computer at all.

“Education is dangerous - Every educated person is a future enemy”, Hermann Goering

whitesand

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2011
You almost got it right. Extra CO2 doesn't increase plant growth per se -- it's more so an environmental correlation than a causality. In practicality, increased CO2 means an elevated average temperature with more extreme environments, which is exactly what occurred during the Jurassic era. These environmental stimuli were probably what caused the plants to enlarge to such sizes, but without a living specimen we can't be sure since it could have just been a factor of breeding and genetics.

What's more so amusing is that most people forget that the CO2 cycle appears to be cyclic in nature from geology (as is the temperature) -- we haven't seen a recorded history of such a cycle with civilized man yet due the relatively infant age of modern society. Are we adding CO2? Undoubtedly. Are we making that big of a difference on the natural CO2 fluctuations? Who knows.

You can find lots of experiments taking plants and putting them in chambers of elevated C02 and the growth rate accelerates..

darkplanets

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2009
You can find lots of experiments taking plants and putting them in chambers of elevated C02 and the growth rate accelerates..

Holy thread necro!

That aside, I'm not in the ag sciences -- care to share some papers (PMID, DOI, or reference)? I'm too lazy to PubMed or SciFinder it :D

Would be interesting to see the population controls put in place to account for genetic variance, and how much the growth rate actually changes. Also what they define as growth.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.