Greenscreen/Bluescreen software??

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by pianodude123, Dec 18, 2005.

1. pianodude123 macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

I found ezemedia, and the one by stupendous software, but does anyone know of any free plugins/products that will let me use a greenscreen in imovie?

2. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

I think the only Apple apps with blue/green screen abilities are Finalcut and Finalcut Pro

3. devman macrumors 65816

devman

Not quite free, but only $3.50

http://imovieplugins.com/plugs/chromamovie.html

There are many other iMovie plugins. Some for around $25.

edit: I forgot to mention that quartz composer will also do chromakey and it's free from Apple with the dev tools.

4. pianodude123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

I have final cut, dont qwuite know how to use the greenscreen feature tho???

5. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

6. rand() macrumors regular

If you've got FCP, do it there; it's going to be a lot better than in any iMovie plugin. And yeah, Shake or Adobe's After Effects will get it even cleaner - but those are far from free.

Anyway, any time you use a green/blue screen, or even a basic black matte, the professional term for filtering out the blue, green, or black is a "key." Essentially, you're "key-ing" out the color and replacing it with whatever background.

So in final cut, make sure you've got two video tracks. In the bottom one (v1) put your background video/picture. In the top track (v2), directly on top of the background clip, put your greenscreen footage.

Now double-click the greenscreen footage in v2 to bring it into the Viewer. From the "Effects" tab in the Browser, grab and drag "Blue and Green Screen" (it's in "Video Filters" under "Key") onto your clip in the Viewer. Now you can go to the Filters tab, and play around until you get the look right.

If your green or blue isn't quite right (you need LOTS of FLAT light on your matte to get Greenscreen stuff right), you might try the "Chroma Keyer" instead. That way you can eye-dropper the correct color and give FCP a little better direction.

Hope that helps!

-rand()

7. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

I hear Microsoft has some great Blue Screen software. No, wait. That's something entirely different.

8. ldenman macrumors regular

the xp bashing never ends...:) ...i love it. (the bashing, that is)

9. Oryan macrumors 6502a

Oryan

There's a good tutorial here.

10. corywoolf macrumors 65816

corywoolf

Real Pros use After Effects Pro.
    ;)

11. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

Here Here!

12. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

13. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Um I hate to tell all your Fanboys (most of whom I assume arent "pro" and dont "own" shake or AE) that a real PRO can use whatever they are comfortable with. and to think that something is better than the rest is ignorant.

So what if King Kong used Shake (it was probably the Linux version anyhow like the one used in LOTR)...

A true professional is good at what he does.

Software doesnt make someone pro so stop the rhetoric of AE vs Shake vs FCP they are each ENTIRELY different apps but overlap in some areas like keying, and in that case its the USER not the APP that is labeled pro.

14. virus1 macrumors 65816

virus1

and real pro wannabees pirate shake and get just as good results.. :cool:

15. skimaxpower Guest

I can't stand FCP's green screen utility.

I really like "KeyLight" for After Effects. Unfortunately, its neither free nor cheap.

16. mnstr_trd_sd macrumors regular

mnstr_trd_sd

I completely agree, it doesn't matter what the professional uses as long as he gets the job done, correctly. As far as green screening I use FC and AE. Shake I primarilly use for compositing.

"you're only as good as your tools" my teachers used to say, but then again, i learned in the real world a real professional would adapt.

Here are some tutorial links:

AE:(i don't know if this is still up)
    http://www.philipwilliams.com/chromatutorial.aspx

FCP:
    http://www.lafcpug.org/chroma_key_part_2.html

17. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

You have a dual 2.7 G5 with 4 gigs of ram, wouldn't you have the pro apps as well?? Something doesn't make sense...

18. mnstr_trd_sd macrumors regular

mnstr_trd_sd

The correct term is Chromakeying.:D Also they use the the particular shade of blue and green because those colors are the least likely to be found on the human body. That is why the subject almost never wears blue or green.

19. d_saum macrumors 6502

d_saum

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!! I literally laughed out loud when I read that! ;)

20. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Not if you are keying out black or white (which rand() mentioned in his explanation). In that case it is a lumakey, not a chromakey.

Lethal

21. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

Uhh. OK.

I see that you take a comment with a smiley at the end quite seriously. So let me add to that:

1) I'm not a fanboy, but I do know that Pros use Shake. I've seen it myself. I didn't say or imply that it was shake exclusively, nor did I say they only use super expensive apps with "Pro" on them. I didn't say all Pros either.

2) I'm not a Pro, but I am a student heavily involved in multimedia, and I have access to Shake & AE Pro. But I liked your assumption :rolleyes:

3) A real pro doesn't only use what they find confortable, its whatever gets the job done. But yes, a real pro would be good at his/her job.

22. mnstr_trd_sd macrumors regular

mnstr_trd_sd

yes, that's true.