Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CowArt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2005
Today we passed The Knights Who Say Ni! in the overall Team Stats of Folding@Home, which means we will be your new neighbours for the time being.

A friendly hello from all the Cows!
bye.gif

Oh, and by the way... we will be overtaking you in approximately 17 days...

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Maybe we should surprise them, turn all of our computers off suddenly, and see if they do the same.

Then, after they are dumbfounded, we turn everything back on and get a few minutes more breathing room or maybe they forget to turn their computers on again. :D

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
If the possibility is true then why delay the inevitable. :eek: Something needs to be done to encourage more of our members to assist us in this project. This type of notice should be a call to arms.

CowArt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2005
bousozoku said:
Maybe we should surprise them, turn all of our computers off suddenly, and see if they do the same.
[...]
:confused:

And we thought that the Knights Who Say Ni! had some weird tactics.

Al least they brought out the CowTapult, but your strategy is to turn of your computers, hoping we will do the same?

We will never turn of our computers. We are trying to get as far ahead of Sir Fart and his Looney Friends as possible. :)

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
bousozoku, we tried that tactic with the Tin cans, who can't say a normal word. And it didn't worked. They overtook us for a short while. But they where surprised when we turned on all of our computers again and overtook them again :D That where the days...

Now, for those Dutch, we need some other tactic. I'm one, so I should know. Some weird virus, BSE or something...Here in Holland all the cows where being destroyed when that virus broke lose.

CowArt, you are quite right to get those loony Tin cans as far behind as possible! But somehow, they always stick and you never get rid of them.

vannote

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2003
NYC
Dreadnought said:
bousozoku, we tried that tactic with the Tin cans, who can't say a normal word. And it didn't worked. They overtook us for a short while. But they where surprised when we turned on all of our computers again and overtook them again :D That where the days...

Those will be the days again in about 45. They are catching up again... :eek:

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
CowArt said:
:confused:

And we thought that the Knights Who Say Ni! had some weird tactics.

Al least they brought out the CowTapult, but your strategy is to turn of your computers, hoping we will do the same?

We will never turn of our computers. We are trying to get as far ahead of Sir Fart and his Looney Friends as possible. :)

It's just like the movie Top Gun where Maverick hits the brakes and the Russians just fly past him. ;)

JDar

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2003
joined today

Keep looking behind you Cows, JDar joined the MR team today. Folding is keeping the iMac G5 warm while running in Terminal.

Why, the fans are barely noticeable (but I do love turbine engines.) Any others here user Hardware Monitor or Temp Monitor? I see an occasional post elsewhere about what reading people's machines are experiencing.

CowArt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2005
macrumors-wdthy.PNG

The good news is that you pushed the Looneys back to 235 days :eek:

The bad news is that you will be trampled in 7 days
whistle.gif

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I'm sure my current situation will tremendously change the outcome. :D :D

My G3/800 drive died so it's out of commission for several days. On the other hand, my new 1.33 GHz PowerBook is running. I'm sure that should mooooove the cows back at least 300 days or so. :D

RugoseCone

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2002
CowArt said:
The good news is that you pushed the Looneys back to 235 days :eek:

The bad news is that you will be trampled in 7 days
whistle.gif

The Looneys are now 1472 days back! Yeehaw! That powerbook of bousozoku's really is working!

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
RugoseCone said:
The Looneys are now 1472 days back! Yeehaw! That powerbook of bousozoku's really is working!

You said it! :D

I found this power management option. Why it's not set to full when plugged into the house current, I don't know. My P874 went from 1 hour 18 minutes per percent to 42 minutes--slightly better. :eek:

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
Is someone in charge of advertising? If not we should get a small group of people doing this. Hey maybe i should look in to getting my school to join. Yes they are dell but hey 75 machines would help.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
What if we emailed them a virus for their Windows machines? :rolleyes:

Can we have a front page story on this to get more people to fold?

lordmac

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2004
Santa Cruz, CA
Ba i find this whole thing be rather confusing. I don't know much about all this folding stuff but I thought it was about helping with scientific research not a competition. But perhaps i am wrong the folding site i went wasn't very clear at all. With more clarification i would be happy to help but id rather not do it with my powerbook ass I heard folding really eats up resources and i don't have much to spare of that on my powerbook. Also my battery discharges fast enough for me but perhaps i can do a bit of this with my pc. :)

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
lordmac said:
Ba i find this whole thing be rather confusing. I don't know much about all this folding stuff but I thought it was about helping with scientific research not a competition. But perhaps i am wrong the folding site i went wasn't very clear at all. With more clarification i would be happy to help but id rather not do it with my powerbook ass I heard folding really eats up resources and i don't have much to spare of that on my powerbook. Also my battery discharges fast enough for me but perhaps i can do a bit of this with my pc. :)

I'm only using my PB to fill my gap. It'll be a quick fix only. I'm not sure why you're talking about your battery--don't you have electricity where you live? ;) I suppose when I have mine in my backpack on Saturday, it won't be contributing much. Of course, by then, it might finish its current work unit. :)

CowArt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2005
lordmac said:

The beauty of distributed computing is that you can do scientific research and competition at the same time :)

The goal of the project itself of course is to do as much research as possible. You don't have to bother with the statistics and the competition if you don't want to.

The Dutch Power Cows however battle everything in sight, other teams as well as their fellow DPC-members and subteams, hence the daily stats-updates in our forums.

I think the competition is a good and important part of distributed computing. For us, because we have lots of fun competing, and for the projects, because they get what they want: as much CPU-power on their projects as possible. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.