Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vahn21

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2022
Why does everyone assume Apple is forced to comply by putting a usb c port when they have more options then that. They could just not offer product to EU which I know is unlikely option or they could eliminate charging port altogether and they could also do it add the usb c port and just be like yeah that port just added 1k to phone cost so a 1200 iPhone in us and same phone in eu is 2200 I could totally see them do that one

Mity

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2014
Speaking of bad judgement by Apple, does anyone know why the flashlight and camera shortcuts cannot be removed from the lock screen?

IsaacM

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2011
Why does everyone assume Apple is forced to comply by putting a usb c port when they have more options then that. They could just not offer product to EU which I know is unlikely option or they could eliminate charging port altogether and they could also do it add the usb c port and just be like yeah that port just added 1k to phone cost so a 1200 iPhone in us and same phone in eu is 2200 I could totally see them do that one
lol delusional. they will not alienate a major part of their market just to make a point.

Reactions: Pezimak

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
When I found out the 14 pro max wasn't going to be USB c I said no. Then I thought USB c lighting? The port will break regardless of having a bad experience etc. I decided to only use the MagSafe charging system. I had ports break on apple and android devices. Nothing is unbreakable. Hence People need to match their needs to which standard of cable prefers. There is no right or wrong it’s what people prefer. I use a silicone piece to seal the lighting cable port. There is no need.

When you go travelling, even to stay with relatives, you take an iPad Pro and an iPhone, it’s nice to use the same charger and cable for both devices.. and it’s about damn time the iPhone followed the iPad in this regard and dumped the incredibly slow, by todays standards, lightning port speeds.
If it wasn’t for the EU the iPhone would be stuck on USB 2 speeds for ever. I’ve also never once had an Apple port break on a device in all the years I’ve had iPhones since the iPhone 3.

In your scenario if you travelled with an iPad and iPhone you’d also need a separate wireless charging base too. That’s unnecessary.

Last edited:
Reactions: Reason077

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021

Why do people say this? If Apple stopped selling the iPhone in Europe, Apple wouldn’t exist anymore, it’s stock price would plummet to nothing and fast. Because it would purposely be denying itself billions in profits and sales. Out of spite.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
Can someone please explain whether and how the EU law allows for future innovation?

Yes. It specifically allows for the requirements to be updated as a result of technological progress. From the directive text: "It is also necessary to provide the basis for adaptation to any future scientific and technological progress or market developments, which will be continuously monitored by the Commission."

I think USB-C is an ok standard for now, but presumably something better should replace it in the next 5-10 years.

This is unlikely. USB-C itself just specifies a physical connector format. In the future, new cables and new signalling technologies could allow even higher data speeds and charging power, while retaining backwards compatibility with the same physical plug.

Nevertheless, should some compelling new technology eventually come along that obsoletes the USB-C physical connector, the standard is written and intended to be updated in response.

Reactions: samelot628

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
I wonder if the youtuber who converted an iphone to USB-C a year or so ago way before Apple possibly even considered it, will get any royality payments because he could claim that Apple has stolen his idea.

cocoua

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2014
madrid, spain
"iPhone 15 Pro, more Pro than ever with USB-C speeds and +150W power transfer"
"this is awesome, Apple is bringing latest tech to the iPhone"
"outstanding data transfer performance"
"years ahead competition..." -10 years later...-
"great new feature"
"now"
"wow"
"Apple's USB-C charging cables already available in the Apple store from just USD29.99"

Reactions: Reason077

cocoua

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2014
madrid, spain
I’m afraid Apple release two versions of the iPhones. One usb-c version for Europe and one lightning for rest of the world.
so do you think USB-C European iPhones will be limited to USB 2.0 speed as it is Lighting or USA customers will be mad as hell because EU counterparts can transfer files at >5GBs speed??

BTW who put "lighting" as name to something so slow?, shouldn't be the name "turtling"???

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
So does this mean we're stuck with the USB-C form factor forever? If no device can have a different connector how do we ever get to what comes after USB-C?
Thunderbolt is after USB-C and it uses the same plug shape.

The law dictates that one port must be a common standard, not that it must be USB-C. There can be a future new connector, but it must be implemented as a common standard.

strongy

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2008
of course it doesn't mean that. if we all need a new cable then we'll move over it to. need to wait and see. there's no need to replace usb c for many years. the cable will keep the same form factor and be updated and newer cables will be backwards compatible.
of course it does, unless they change the legislation (which no one ever does fast) you are stuck with that

Reactions: Wolfson

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
So does this mean we're stuck with the USB-C form factor forever? If no device can have a different connector how do we ever get to what comes after USB-C?
Pretty much. The EU almost did this 10 years ago when micro-USB was the standard. As you may recall, Lightning had the advantage over micro-USB in being reversible.

Reactions: Steve63 and strongy

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
The EU are hell bent on implementing measures to combat global warming and enviromental issues and the EU is basically saying to companies that if they wish to carry on working with the EU then they must change their ways.

In my opinion what has annoyed the EU so much is that there is environmental issues and global warming issues which many are aware of but yet big businesses do not seem to be bothered or care about doing anything to help with regards to e-waste. As the EU pointed out and rightly so again in my opinion is that there does not need to be so many different AC/DC charging/power adapters with their own cables which is contributing to increases in e-waste. Why not have a universal standard BUT none of the worlds electronic manufacturers appeared to be interested in helping until governments stepped in and forced them to do so.

If Apple is so focused on it's contribution to the environment then why didn't they come up with the idea to have one universal connector standard for power/charging?. Why did it have to be forced upon them?

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68020
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
I have USB-C on literally 30 different devices in my household, possibly 50. Yet I fail to see the fascination and joy that people seem to get from Apple being forced to make this change.

I can tell you about at least 5 different devices I own that no longer charge/function correctly due to the way the USB-C female port wears after repeated connections. And it's the female or device-side port that wears, which means buying an entire new device or an expensive repair is needed.

I've owned literally every iPhone and virtually all iPads ever made with Lightning. How many of those have have female connections that have worn out over the past 10 years? Zero. Because Lightning is a more robust physical connector.
And i have never has the USB port fail on me.

Perhaps you should not buy cheap cables and misuse the port.

I have lost more lightning cables than micro usb ports.

I have had my lightning port clogged from lint and particulate than as the hole is bigger than any usb c port on any device I have.

We never hear about usb c ports failing on MacBooks. We even heard about the keyboard failing for a minority of people but nobody complained about the port.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
until the next thing comes out and now you are stuck with usb-c lol
Exactly. Sure. Theoretically a company could ask the USB-IF to approve a new standard, but no one has a competitive reason to do so anymore.

Velli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2013
NO! This is a common misconception.

The USB consortium, or an alternative consortium backed by the major companies, makes a proposal for a new standard, with commitment to update to this standard within a certain time frame. This is presented to the EU, who will likely approve if the major companies are in agreement. They will then pass a law that past a given point in the future, all new product introductions must follow the new standard.

This happens all the time with e.g. safety standards. EU is not preventing evolution, they are forcing the big companies to work together. This is good. If the EU did not do this, all your appliances would have much higher stand-by power consumption than the current status.

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68020
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
Often the EUrocrats get stuff right. They've produced very cheap and competitive mobile phone and broadband service through aggressive government intervention, a robust revival of rail service, a restoration of private enterprise to many aspects of mass transit service through restraints on government intervention, and a huge, flourishing free trade area. They tend to take things on a case by case basis in a pragmatic way and try to find the most appropriate balance of private and public for a particular situation or type of product or service.

This USB/Lightning resolution, unfortunately, is a serious mistake, though an understandable one considering the plastic waste issue (it's just that this could well cause MORE waste); and I am convinced it would have been avoided had Apple licensed Lightning for free and properly invested in its development instead of letting it languish at USB2 in most devices. One reliable way to destroy the faith of Eurocrats in a product or service built around a certain standard is to go medievally proprietary on them with regard to that standard and it happened here.
It’s a more question of how much e waste? It’s inevitable also better remove the bandage now rather than later.

EU have requested this for close to a decade on a voluntary basis and strongly encourage it. until they said enough is enough.

Apple have been stubborn

guywithdog

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2017
wasn't Apple the first to get rid of all ports and have only USB C on their machines...?
('cept the 3.5 mm audio jack).

fyi, the 3.5 mmm audio connector was invented in the 50's, and improved upon over the decades.
meaning it's been relevant for approx 60 yrs!!

myself, kinda prefer corded headphones (don't need to make sure they're charged)... 🤷🏽‍♂️

all this hate for the Lightning Connector (introduced in 2012), which solved a lot of problems the 30 pin connector it replaced,... a decade is not a bad run for advancing technology.

wondering how long USB C will be relevant,...(?)

someone has to build the better "mouse trap", probably will come from necessity,

(sez the guy typing this on an Apple machine bought in 2020 that has USB C and 3.5 mm audio jack).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.