Gregoire unofficial winner in Wa. gubernatorial race

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mactastic, Dec 22, 2004.

1. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Link

10 vote difference. Amazing.

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

it's up to 130 now. link

3. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I am watching this with interest. It is a novel situation and for me, an interesting look at an example of the shoe being on the other foot...

at some point soon, however, I would like there to be a concession and a new, uncontestable governor - the people of Washington deserve as much.

4. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

It should be taken as an object lesson for Democrats everywhere. The principle is to have all the votes counted. Good things happen when they are. Not a bad principle to tie oneself to as well. I see where Sen. Feinstein is introducing a bill to do away with the electoral college. How about a Democratic resurgence under the slogan "one person, one counted vote!" Nice ring to it.

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Yup, that's a good way to frame the issue, though I doubt it will move many legislatures in the smaller state which benefit from the current system.

As for Washington state, the fight appears to be far from over. Republicans are calling for counting previously "rejected" votes in other counties (even though the extra votes in King County weren't "rejected," they were just plain misplaced.)

6. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Perhaps it should be "One person, One equal and counted vote." I think the smaller states should have their collective feet put to the fire on the question of equality. How does one defend the unequal system as it stands? I keep hearing about how no candidate will pay attention to the smaller states if we do away with the electoral college, but I haven't seen many presidential candidates running to campaign in Wyoming or Alaska. If that is truly the hang up, then let's change the campaign finance laws to include campaign stops in every state in order to get public financing. The reality is that the present system magnifies a conservative advantage in the South, and the GOP needs to be forced to defend that.

As to the Washington vote, I think you're right that it is far from over, but it now shifts to a Democratic position of strength. If the Republicans must go across the state cherry-picking votes that have been disqualified in order to try and overturn the election they are at a severe disadvantage. The Democrats should respond that if there are legitimate reasons that a vote should be counted that hasn't been up to this point - then so much the better. However, all such votes must be considered, not just ones that help the GOP.

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

8. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Well, I guess this is a good thing. I can't really stand either of them. Rossi would be good fiscally, but not so good socially. Gregoire, the other way around. They both kinda bug me. I'm glad everyone's vote is going to be counted though. I remember seeing a sign that said "You lost twice Christine, concede." Good for her she didn't, but if it turns out Rossi did win, I will accept it.

Kinda makes me think maybe there were a couple of misplaced votes in other States. Especially considering how many turned out to be for the Dems. Makes you wonder...