GRE's... what?!

Discussion in 'Community' started by dorqiekat, Apr 14, 2005.

1. dorqiekat macrumors 6502a

Jul 3, 2004
    So, on and off, I'm thinking... should I go to grad school? should I just get a job? Finally, I decided to go to grad school. Don't laugh, but I forgot about the GRE's. Why is life constantly throwing tests at me? Stanford 9, STAR, SAT, SAT II, ACT, AP's, driving tests, math, science, english and language placement tests... must I go on? *cries* I DON'T want to study for another standardized test!!!!!

is a master's really worth it?

How many of you are happy with a BA? specifically a BA in sociology. :rolleyes:
  2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    all depends upon what you want to do with your life/degree

me? i wont be satisfied until i have my PhD in English, but thats me and i want to teach at the college level etc. so different people different goals

what would you like to do with your degree?
  3. dorqiekat thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jul 3, 2004
    I don't know!!!! That's why I'm planing on hiding out in grad school. :eek: However, what I'd like to achieve is counseling potential plastic surgery patients. "Why do you want bigger boobs?"

I'd get my BA in soc, and get a MA in psych. Or, die trying.
  4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    well if that is what you ultimitely want to do then you will definitely need the Psych background, see i didnt know if you wanted to things in criminal justice or what, you know??

if you want to go in that direction, or perhaps do research one day then i would say that you might want to step forward with it, and in the mean time look to see what is out there in the job market for you now with what you will be happy with and what degree you have, you can always go back to school if you find a job you are happy/content with now, but if you dont find what you are looking for, you will have the GRE over with and hopefully can get into a grad school with ease

im taking a year off before grad school because my head is just wound so tightly that i cant cope with it right now, i need a break to relax, even if i have to work during that period off of school
  5. dorqiekat thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jul 3, 2004
    I might take a year off and see what kind of living I can make with a BA. I don't know, career and future stuff is hard for me to figure out. I feel so lost sometimes!
  6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    Don't feel too bad about that. You might find something really important about yourself in that time. Even if you do go to grad school, you might find your experience is a lot better because of how you've grown while you were out there. I went to grad school straight from undergrad, intending to get a PhD; I didn't like it, left for five years of work, and now I'm back in something completely different. I was *good* at what I studied before -- I could've bagged a tenure track position by now if I hadn't left grad school. But *shudder*.... No, this way is better for me.
  7. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Apr 10, 2003
    The "Garden" state
    taking a year off was the best decision ever.
    I originally thought I wanted a phd in philosophy, and only took time off because, well, competition was fierce and I didn't get in anywhere. But while I originally planned to go back and try again, working in business stimulated an interest and affinity I didn't know I had, and I will probably go back for an MBA if I go back at all.
    Moral of the story is that if you want to go to grad school because it seems less scary than the real world, you might not be making the best decision. At least, that was supposed to be the moral. it's been a long day.