gretsch guitars

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Jun 26, 2004.

1. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    they are expensive, the ones with bigsby trems don't stay in tune very well, most models have confusing controls for volume, tone, and pickup selection, the old ones are structurally unstable since the glue used to set the neck breaks after 20 years and has given work to luthiers, and most models have small, hard to play frets

but there is something unique and cool about them in a way major brand guitars like fender, gibson, ibanez, yamaha, jackson, and peavey all lack

i have owned a lot of different guitars over the years, but never a gretsch and that could be my fascination with them ;)
  2. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    oh my.... Bigsby's... :eek: :D

I've only played one Gretsch guitar, and we just didn't get on... it must be that jesus and mary chain thing goin' down. heheh.

I'm happy with a Rickenbacker and a decent effects processor. :D
  3. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    i know many who love gretsch are also rickenbacker's kind of an anti-fender/gibson thing ;)

i basically like rickenbackers for their beatle's sound...sure they also used gretsch, fender, gibson, hofner, etc...but the sound most attached to them is the rickenbacker, especially the 12 string electric

unfortunately, rickenbackers are expensive like gretsch guitars, though not as outrageously priced as premium gretsch (japan) guitars...thank god gretsch has the more moderately priced electromatic line of guitars (korea) with the bigsby licensed trems and less expensive version dearmond pickups...but when i price a premium gretsch against a paul reed smith or top of the line parker fly, then the gretsch (between $2200-2600 usd, most models) is not that crazy...paul reed smith's "hollobody" is sexy but that's a different thread altogether and $5100 usd...yikes

if i was in the market for another guitar, i would get the gretsch electromatic hollowbody in either sky blue or red ($1100 usd which is about the same as a fender american standard electric or a gibson les paul junior)...those silver and gold "sparkle" finishes are a little too flashy for me ;)
  4. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    I've never been a huge fan of Gibson guitars, I'm in the camp that believe the Les Paul is a horridly overated guitar.... it's also incredibly heavy... :eek: but then I would say that as I'm used to semi acoustics heheh. :D

As for Fender, I rate the Jaguar, Mustang and of course the Jagstang but the Tele and Strat just don't float my boat. :eek:

I'm still in the Ric camp, they've got a model which utilises a Bigsby, although I've not played one, and I'm not sure if they're best suited to a Ric to be honest.

As for 12 strings, I've played one once, and I just don't have it... shredded my fingers the works. My technique simply isn't good enough :(

I'm putting some dirty $$$ behind at the moment to buy a NEW :D Rickenbacker 370 (Jetglo or that funky Blue they do) and if I can trace one a Fender Jagstang in Sonic Blue, but a lefthander, re strung with the whammy bar flipped for a right hander, I know it's tat, but the Jagstang looks the mutts nutts upside down. :D
  5. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    i almost got a rickenbacker 360 once...only $900 usd at guitar center more than ten years ago, but it was electric blue...great color for a jackson superstrat, but i like the ricks where i can see the wood...that vintage look and all...but i shouldn't have passed on the 360 since it's prolly way more expensive now

jagstangs can be had for 600 usd or so, if you can find them...i would try musician's friend...they merged with guitar center to make the world's largest music inst. retailer join the world's largest internet music inst. retailer

what irks me is that the discounts found on many makes in the 30-40 percent range are not so for gretsch, but for only 500+ dollars, i can get into a gretsch electromatic solidbody...but somehow i don't equate gretsch with solidbody guitars...except for the "white penguin" which, if found, could set a collector back 10-20k, or more
  6. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    gretsch white penguin...$65,000, i didn't know how much it could fetch and the manager of the local music chain saw it at a convention some years back

but a far more in demand, yet more common, 1958-60 gibson les paul standard, in mint condition could fetch more, but the price is mostly due to popularity and demand, not scarcity

but the gretsch white penguin is ultra scarce and most guitarists and collectors may likely never see one anywhere, ever

god, i hope not to get into guitar collecting again, and i am quite happy with my one beat up esp/ltd viper guitar
  7. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Dec 26, 2002
    Albuquerque, NM
    Duff-Man says...I've never owned a Gretsch (yet) - but I do tend to shy away from the standard Gibson and Fender offerings. I do have a really old SG (I really should put some new pick-ups on it though) but mostly any electric playing I do is with my Travis Bean TB1000 - fantastic sustain with the aluminum neck but a little on the heavy side....oh yeah!