Grey Screen Problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nmgnl, Feb 4, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

Hi,

I've already read through various posts but none seem to solve my issue.

I can't get past a grey screen on boot up.
    It changes from the Apple Icon to a no entry icon with a spinning gear and just hangs there.

Safe boot won't work.

If I hold down Option on start up the only choice is Macintosh HD which when selected just does the spinning gear thing.

Apple Hardware test says nothing wrong.

Command - Option - P - R does reset certain things as I have sound on that was previously muted, but again nothing after that.

I downloaded a bootable disk onto a USB but that's not coming up when Option is held.

Burnt to cd and held down C on startup and although the drive whirred it still eventually when to the apple icon followed by the circle with the line through.

If I start and hold Command S it runs through and sticks at waiting for root device.

Of course I haven't backed up because it's a Mac and they're unbreakable...

Any discs I did originally have are either lost or still in England.

Stuck, please help!

It's a MacBook Pro OS 10.6.X

Thanks in advance
    Jenine

2. thread starter macrumors newbie

Phoned Apple support and they said I've done everything they'd have suggested anyway so I'm booked in at a store tomorrow for them to reinstall the OS.

Thanks anyway.

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

They couldn't fix it or get anything off the hard drive.

Just cost me $2,000 for a new MacBook plus external drive.

If anyone has any ideas for recovering what's on the old drive I'd love to hear them?
    I've bought a firewire cable and linked the new and old Macs together but Disk Utility on the new one still won't repair.

4. thread starter macrumors newbie

5. macrumors regular

F1 Fan

No ideas at all I'm afraid. Just wanted to reassure you that your posts are actually visible!

Sorry for your misfortune :(

6. thread starter macrumors newbie

:) Thanks, I did wonder.

I've used DiskWarrior which is at least showing the files are still there, it rescued and made a folder on the desktop of the broken Mac then froze when I went to Preview.

I've now got Disc Recovery to try but when I went to turn on the old Mac it was silent which doesn't bode well. I turned it off for the night and I'll try again later.

7. macrumors 6502

May I suggest using something like Mozy or Crashplan as a backup solution for your new laptop. Time Machine if you're not into the Internet backup thing. Enjoy your new laptop at least :)