Grid Spacing (Panther)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ickystay, Oct 5, 2006.

1. ickystay macrumors regular

I would like to know how to get a tighter grid spacing when I arrange my window. In 8.6 (where I have lived for years) you can specify "tight" and get 30 or 40 folders in a decent sized window. Now with Panther I get like 15 or 20 folders and useless empty space between them. Is there some kind of trick involved to get a choice of spacing? Thanks.

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Not in Panther, any more, but I seem to remember that this was possible, somehow... either by setting folder icon size in Finder -> View -> View Options (cmd-J) or by setting the grid somehow in System Preferences -> Appearence or Finder preferences...

...or my mind could be playing tricks with me again... :eek:

...either way, it gets worse when and if you upgrade to Tiger... I've more or less stopped using the snap to grid feature all together because of it's space inefficiency... :(

3. ickystay thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your reply.

I can fill in the empty space if I make the folders really big. Looks dumb!

The best I have found is if I shrink the text size to 10 pt and move the labels to the side the folders stack up better (View options). I can go from 24 folders in a window to 36. Of course, the numbering goes from horizontal to vertical! Oh brother.

This is going to take some getting used to...