1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Griffin cancels iFM iPod FM tuner accessory

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Jan 3, 2004.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors member

that sucks... i was going to buy one of those...

3. macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Ouch... Thats tough... 3G models killed eh?

:eek:

4. macrumors 68020

SeaFox

Griffin cancels iFM iPod FM tuner accessory...

they decided it would be too popular and didn't want a repeat of the iTrip shipping fiasco.

c'mon, somebody say it:
    This means new iPods with built-in FM tuners!

5. macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

There would be a lot of angry people out there if that happened.

Like me.

I thought that I would have to settle with no car playback when I got my brand new iPod on the 20th. If that's released, there will be a lot of people who bought an iPod with their Christmas money, or as a gift who will feel cheated by apple.

6. macrumors 604

iJon

welcome to the world of apple and technology in general,

iJon

7. macrumors regular

^ So True.

8. Wes
    macrumors 68020

Wes

Oh no! I spent $400 on an iPod, Apple BETTER not upgrade their products! That's just cheating me! We have to hold back the industry 6 months while I get my money's worth!

</sarcasm> If that was how the tech industry worked, we'd be on 100mhz computers.

9. macrumors 6502

You're right. I'm sick and tired of Apple releasing all this *new* crap. I have the 10GB 2nd generation iPod, and just imagine my seething anger when the 40GB models came out. I mean, How dare they! They shoud not have sold ANY iPods this Christmas, if they knew a new one was just around the corner. The consumer need to be protected from innovation like that!

Now, on a more rational and logical note...
    What does an iPod with a tuner have to do with your car stereo? Did you mean FM Transmitter?

10. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

What does an FM tuner have to do with playback in your car? This is not the FM transmitter to play your iPod through your car radio, it's a way to listen to radio ON your iPod.

As for an FM transmitter, I'd recommend a cassette adapter. At least here, way too hard to find an available frequency.

11. macrumors 68010

Dreadnought

So, why couldn't they just release it for the 2nd and 1st generation iPods? I would buy one, I have a 2G. I have been waiting on such a product from the start!

12. macrumors member

integrated radio

I think it would much more appropriate to have DAB radio rather then FM radio on an ipod; But the situation is a bit divided, with Europe supporting it, and US choosing for propriatary (payed services) solutions. Unless apple also taps into this evolving market.... (include in .mac?) Maybe Apple could make an European Ipod with DAB, to balance out the Itunes music store delay for us :)
    But most likely this will all be for the next generation ipods, together with firewire over airport....

13. macrumors regular

Well said! I would have to say that Kingsnapped's original post has to be one of the stupidest things I have ever heard!! People bought iPods at christmas because they are one of the hottest things on the planet. If they wanted an FM tuner, there are other MP3 players with that capability. Consumers typically understand that a new product may actually include more features than the one it replaces.

14. macrumors 6502

Apple fans are the only people I know that FEAR new product releases. Always waiting for the next big item, while hoping nothing replaces something they own now. Users always being worries about resale value, instead of enjoying what they own NOW.

Be happy that Apple produces limited product lines which artificially inflates resale value. If something new comes out that you want to buy, you can unload your almost new item at an almost new price, and buy the new one.

Get over it.

15. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Pure speculation on my part, but I imagine that the bulk of all iPods sold are the 3rd generation and therefore, the bulk of the projected market.Why develop a product for an older design that is approaching obsolescence?

16. macrumors 6502a

Jerry Spoon

If apple does come out with a built in fm tuner, admit it, you're going to want that new model...so you'll dump your "old" model off before dust has had a chance to settle on in and invest a little more $$$ (because you probably didn't get quite what you paid for the old on) on the newer model.

I think apple is a bunch of freakin' geniuses.

17. macrumors 6502

That anti-inovation screed was pretty funny.

That said, I wish Apple would either provide themselves, or give assistamce to 3rd parties to provide:

1) Recording capabilty (good quality, stereo -- with the ability to plug in high quality external mikes). The iPod could completely take over the DAT market, which is currently mainly supported by musicians who need a high quality portable device to tape themselves.

2) FM radio receiver.

3) I DO NOT want a a FM transmitter: there is already a marvelous tool out there that works with 1 through 3G iPod's and it is called the line out/in. The problem is that the vast majority of car radios out there do not have a line in. However, I would never buy such crippleware, and with the explosion in MP3 players, I think that sooner or later car radio manufacturers will get religion and start including line in. In the meantime, there are cassette adapters...

Ted

18. macrumors member

Please, it is amazing how whiny and spoiled people are when the GDP of countries in the world that are the price of the iPod. Chistmas to others is getting a piece of bread to eat, or living to their 30th birthday!

Anyways...sounds like Apple has plans for an FM tuner of their own.

19. macrumors regular

I have a 2G 10 Gig iPod, and if they updated the ipod so it has a FM transmitter and reciever, I would totally upgrade. One and a half years is a good ipod upgrade time if you ask me.

And all you christmas ipoders, dont complain. You still have a incredible ipod, no need to whine.

20. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

We're here discussing Apple, its products and rumors. What the hell do conditions in third world countries have to do with this? Sorry, but the analogy just doesn't fly with me.

21. macrumors 6502a

Hopefully, this means that an FM radio receiver is built-in to next generation iPods. For that matter, AM radio too. All I really want to do on my iPod that I can't do right now is listen to baseball games, which are of course, on AM.

22. macrumors 65816

Dippo

Unless I missed something, this isn't a rumor about Apple adding an FM tuner to the iPod!

23. Gus
    macrumors 65816

Gus

From what I understand from the post at ipodhacks.com, they had already spent the time and resources designing the 2G receiver, so that is a moot point.

From experience, I know that once Apple releases a new product in its grid (iBook, Powerbook, etc.), it completely removes mention of the older product, but the remotes for the 2G iPods were on there until recently. I wonder why Apple stopped selling them? Surely there are MANY 2G iPod owners out there who may need a replaccement or such someday.

Anyway...

Regards,
    Gus

24. macrumors newbie

WTF, I sent in this info dammit! ;) I got no credit!

25. tny
    macrumors 6502

You've obviously never used the iTrip. Sound quality is about equal to good FM reception, in a very crowded spectrum. Only problem is occasional interference.