Griffin iBeam... New! Take a look!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by t300, Sep 24, 2004.

1. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

2. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

That is awesome. I just bought one. $20 for an ipod acc. is a good deal.

BTW how do they turn on?

3. t300 thread starter macrumors 6502a

t300

I was wondering the same thing...It must just be "plug and play" as in it turns on automatically. BUT...How you activate the laser pointer...Beats me.
    I think I might buy one...I am glad that showed it working with the Mini so you could see the size aspect on it as well.

4. t300 thread starter macrumors 6502a

t300

Anyone have any coupons or anything for Griffin?

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

OK, that looks like an Afrin attachment. So it atomizes music and you inhale it directly through your nostril.

6. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

I prefer my 99¢ led light-keychain from walgreens, thank you very much.

7. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    i dont know how safe it will be toting my ipod in a dark alley at night

errrr

8. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

what's the point? i mean really, what's so much better about this thant just carrying a small light or laser pointer?

9. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

iPods actually come with a built in light that I use quite often to find keys, or locks to put them in.

You see, if you hold the "menu" button for a few seconds, a bright light turns on. This throws plenty of light to dig through a purse or sneak through a house. This may come in handy for finding tiny light emitting peripherals stashed away in your computer bag.

10. t300 thread starter macrumors 6502a

t300

This might not be the most useful and creative device but I go love Griffin and I applaud them for coming out with something new, instead of a new car charger every week, like every other company seems to do.

11. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

LOL :D I didn't see that when I first looked at it, but you know, you are right. Now I can't look at it in the same light.

12. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

If this is like the other Griffin Technology pieces that I've seen/used, it's a decent idea, but it is executed poorly. Chances are that you'll have to install something on your iPod and turn it on via a menu. Or the light will be so pitifully dim that it won't do any good anyway.

13. Coolvirus007 macrumors regular

It says that it has a case for it that can be attached to your keychain. So if you lose your keys, what good is it? :D Sounds like an Irish invention. (jk)

14. t300 thread starter macrumors 6502a

t300

That's a stupid thought. That's like saying "Why buy that cd player? If my car gets stolen, what good is that?" Well look, if you lose your keys the last thing you are going to be worried about is your iPod or iBeam...

And the Irish joke..Not funny and not relevant.

15. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I must say though, it is an interesting pair of touted features.
    It'll help you find your keys! And it'll attach to your keychain so you'll always have it!

Well, if you lose you keys in the dark, and you've attached the iBeam to your keychain, it's not going to be helping you find those keys, now is it?

It's like glow-in-the-dark sunglasses, or something like that.

BTW, I don't get (or care about) the Irish joke.

16. t300 thread starter macrumors 6502a

t300

You are right in that...

Personally, I wish they sold seperately, but I do see why they are sold together. If the laser one was like $7.99, I'd buy it, it would be useful. I will just have to wait and see a review on just how bright the light actually is. Like I said, though...This is an original product from one of my favs, Griffin. It seems like everyone is coming out with the same iPod accesories and I commend them oh so much for this original idea.

17. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I think I learned my lesson with the iTurn, or the iBlink, or the iGatherdust, or the iNevergetusedanymore, whta's it called... oh yeah.. iMate.

Thanks. No thanks.

18. t300 thread starter macrumors 6502a

t300

Well, I must say... A day after I posted, the iBeam is growing on me as something that I would like to have. I just must see some reviews first and see how bright the light actually is. Also, like everyone else, I would like to know how these two things are controlled.