1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Griffin Launching Official Lightning Connector Cables Next Week

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 29, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Griffin today announced the upcoming release of Apple-certified Lightning charge and sync cables for the iPhone 5, 5th generation iPod touch, fourth generation iPad and iPad mini.

Though there have been several unofficial third party Lightning accessories, Griffin's accessories will be the first official third-party standalone Lightning connector cables on the market when they launch next week.
    The company is offering several different cable configurations:

- 2' straight USB-to-Lightning cable ($16.99)
    - 3' straight USB-to-Lightning cable ($18.99)
    - 4' coiled USB-to-Lightning cable ($24.99)
    - 9.8' (3 meter) straight USB-to-Lightning cable ($29.99)

[​IMG]
    Earlier this month, Belkin introduced two official Lightning accessories, including a car charger and the Charge + Sync Dock. Scosche has also announced car and home chargers, although its products have yet to begin shipping.

Apple has been maintaining strict control over its Lightning connectors, which has made it difficult for third party manufacturers to introduce new accessories.

Vendors that launch Lightning-related accessories must produce them in Apple-approved facilities. The Lightning connector also requires controller chips to take advantage of adaptive technology, which has delayed the release of third party Lightning accessories.

Article Link: Griffin Launching Official Lightning Connector Cables Next Week

2. macrumors 65816

Glad someone is releasing these, but not a fan of family guy.

3. macrumors regular

not too bad in terms of pricing.

4. macrumors 6502

Sandstorm

I think I'll buy the coiled one for use in my car.

5. macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Got one for $3 on eBay. Works great

6. macrumors 6502

I was thinking the same thing.

7. Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I'm looking forward to the increased competition. Apple's strict requirements and the Lightning technology itself put upward pressure on prices, so a little downward price pressure is a good counterbalance.

8. macrumors 6502a

The 3 meter one will be nice.

9. macrumors 603

justperry

Prices are reasonable but charging $13 more for 8' (2.40 Meter) more is steep, cable is cheap per meter, should only be $5 more.

10. macrumors 6502

What am I missing here? The OEM Apple cable is $19. The 3' Griffin is $18.99.

11. macrumors 65816

Options and cheap Amazon pricing on the Griffins? Also, they will be on clearance in a few months while the Apple ones are full blast price forever.

Did you expect quality $1.99 cables already or something?

Competition is good and will eventually drive down prices. That's a good thing.

12. macrumors 65816

TouchMint.com

Yea not much of a discount at all but hopefully it will help drive down prices a bit?

13. macrumors 68030

zorinlynx

Finally a black cable! I can use that in my car, instead of the white Apple ones which are equivalent to putting a sign on the car that says "Break into me, there might be expensive iDevices in me!"

Apple should sell black charge cables for this reason!

14. macrumors newbie

The Lightning Connector is Amazing!

The lightning connector is such a great new feature of Apple's latest gadgets. My favorite part about it is that it is reversible.

15. macrumors member

Very good point, but you should put the cables away when you get out of the car anyway. Stupid criminals will see cables and be like $-)

16. macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Indeed - It's probably that chip that Apple puts in them that costs 90% of the manufacturing of the cable.

17. macrumors 6502

You srs, bro?

Edit: oh. My bad. Spam post is spam.

18. macrumors 604

mrsir2009

And they'd look slick with the black iPhone :cool:

19. macrumors regular

coiled cables, WOOF!

20. macrumors member

Doesn't this thing have a crypto chip on it?

I'm going to laugh when apple changes something to render these cables worthless.

/b

21. macrumors 6502a

Corrode

Liiiike, a new connector in another 7 years? Yeah, so hilarious.

Or are you suggesting that Apple will implement something to make "official" 3rd party cables useless?

Either way, this post is silly.

22. macrumors member

I just want a Lightning Phonesuit Elite!!!

23. macrumors 603

justperry

I know the cable business a bit, those 8 feet of cable would probably cost an extra 20 cents and for the manufacturing process it takes maybe a few seconds more to make, whether it's 1 foot or several, total cost makes it only 20-30 cents more expensive.

24. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

It's an officially licensed cable.

arn

25. macrumors 6502

Great. Another overpriced cable option. :rolleyes:

(sorry, I just can't get excited about another opportunity to be ripped off)