Griffin Powermate... NOW I get it!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by mangoman, May 29, 2003.

1. mangoman macrumors 6502a

mangoman

Just plugged in one of the 'new' Griffin Powermate's. Started adding commands to this thing. Wow. NOW I see why these are so popular. Very, very coo'. Just thought I'd let you all know...

With technological love and stuff,

mangoman

2. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

What sort of commands? How do you use it, exactly? I think they look cool, but I guess I still don't get it.

3. benjaminpg macrumors regular

Yeah. When I got it as a gift, it seemed rather useless. I thought, "Wow, I've got another way to scroll that seems to be an inconvenience, since I have to take my hand off the mouse."

Then I started configuring it for different apps, and I love it. I read my email with it, scroll through the headlines in NetNewsWire, all without moving my mouse or using key commands.

4. mangoman thread starter macrumors 6502a

mangoman

You're only limited by the number of ways you can click + turn the knob. So, within any given app', you've got 6 options to program commands. I don't see myself using up all 6 within an app', but, for example, I programmed Safari to scroll up and down, and when I click the knob, it creates a new email window. Cool, I sez to myself. I'm thinking that there's a boatload of ways to use this in other apps, if only for the simple stuff. Glad I bought it. And, no, I don't work for Griffin! :D

5. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000

I agree that it looks cool, but not $50 cool. :rolleyes:

Maybe I am just cheap. :)

6. mangoman thread starter macrumors 6502a

mangoman

Come on, now, Freg'. You're sportin' all that hardware in your sig', and you think 50 clams is a lot to spend?

:confused:

7. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

i've always wanted one. now that i heard that they're in black, i want one even more! i thought you could also program it for double clicks and what-not?

8. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000

lol, I guess you are right. Then again, after all of that hardware I bought, I am broke. :(

I would object to anyone giving me a PowerMate......:)

9. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

lol. i second that motion. only difference, it's for me! lol:p

how much lonmger are they making the black ones?

10. mangoman thread starter macrumors 6502a

mangoman

Not sure. I guess the first batch of black ones went very quickly, so I jumped on this recent offering.

11. alset macrumors 65816

alset

I find that whenever I use someone else's computer to get on the web, I now instinctively reach with my left hand for the PowerMate for scrolling. Super key to my routine, now. I recommend one to everyone.

Dan