Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 20, 2007
I remember vividly during the WWDC 2010 keynote when Steve Jobs was talking about how he compared the new design of the iPhone 4 to a Leica camera.

I'll be honest, I'm no camera buff and I've never heard of Leica. But, since Google is my friend, I stumbled upon a very nicely detailed blowup of of a Leica M8. He's right, it's a beautiful camera.

I took the image and with the magic and efficiency of Photoshop, I proportioned it to the dimensions of the iPhone 4, stretching a few things around, especially to accommodate the place where the rear camera and LED flash would line up. I also removed the "M8" model name and replaced it with an "iP 4" as well as the Leica name to Apple. Lastly, I changed where it said "LEICA" in the lens to "IPHONE."

I printed it out from my Canon photo printer and cut it so it lined up nicely in the inside of the Griffin Reveal's clear backside, used an Exacto knife to cut out the rear camera and LED flash area, and topped the edges with a black permanent marker to hide the edges of white photo paper.

And, here are the results. I think it looks pretty cool, especialy when you turn on the flash. At least people will kinda know where to look when you're trying to take a picture of them with your iPhone 4.

Here's the direct download to the full image: http://files.me.com/raphaelsalgado/7o3wgt
Image is 1369 x 2717 pixels, and should be 2.282" x 4.528" or 5.8 cm x 11.5 cm at 600 dpi.

You might be able to print it out as a ZAGG skin or equivalent company that makes printed skins.

Let me know what you think of this. Thanks!

Attachments

• iphone4_leica_skinned_1.jpg
    iphone4_leica_skinned_1.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 1,795
  • iphone4_leica_skinned_2.jpg
    iphone4_leica_skinned_2.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 833
  • iphone4_leica_skinned_3.jpg
    iphone4_leica_skinned_3.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 914
  • iphone4_leica_skinned_4.jpg
    iphone4_leica_skinned_4.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 1,246

cmwall

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2010
Very nice. That is pretty awesome and very unique idea. Five stars.

EDIT: Where can I buy the Griffin Reveal case? I would rather not order it, but, well, it may be my only choice.

cowsrus

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2008
that's really cool
i may have to look into putting my own backing on
i wonder what other skins you could do besides a camera...

JackSpearo

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
the Leica M8 actually comes in white! search it, it's rare!

also, they have a new M9 that was recently released!

(I love Leica)

and I love your case! make me one!!!!? ($$$ how much?)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.