Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamesp57

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2011
You should have read reviews about the Survivor for the iPhone 4. I wasn't a fan of the built-in screen protector either.. I bet it's exactly the same in the iPad 2 version.

I hope I get mine soon to check that out.

I have the Otterbox Defender case on my iPhone 4 with the screen protector. Thought the Survivor might have been worth a try.

peter3

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2010
Got it, taking it back tomorrow.

The case is designed very well and has great protection for the iPad. All the ports are covered and sealed nicely

For someone using the ipad in extreme conditions, dust, water spray, possible drop it's a good case.

I didn't like the built-in screen protector or the added bulk of the case.

Staying with my current case.

Before you return it. Can you shoot some pics and post it here.

Does the built in screen protector create blotches between the iPad screen?

jamesp57

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2011
Before you return it. Can you shoot some pics and post it here.

Does the built in screen protector create blotches between the iPad screen?

I didn't notice anything. I never took my PS screen protector off. Didnt want to take a chance and ruin the PS just in case I didn't like the new case.

marine0816

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2011
USA
I just got it, pretty fast shipping from Amazon....

Pros
STRONG tough build
Covers entire ipad including bezel
Built in screen protector not bad as I thought
Price $46 with shipping from amazon

Cons
This thing is HEAVY
Might be over kill for some
Stand feels like it will break anytime
Stand is only made for hard surfaces(so cant prop it on carpet, beds)
Sealed ports are a joke. No way to truly reveal speaker grill unless you cut the silicon, so sound is
muffled.. (edit) there holes cut into the back so you can peel the port back so it can stay in place in the hole and reveal the speaker and camera lens.. But it takes some work.. So you don't have to cut the silicon..

Over all I like this case, I'm a careless dude so the over all rugged military grade build quality is right for me. I tend to break stuff easily and with this case I think I'll be alright. I just will miss the lightness of the ipad without the case. Certainly a contender to the Otterbox. Hope this helps

DSC_0184.jpg

DSC_0185.jpg

DSC_0183_2.jpg

DSC_0181-1.jpg

DSC_0180.jpg

Last edited:

3goldens

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Born NYC Living in CT
Thanks marine0816 very much for the detailed pictures and your comments. I was as a result able to make a decision on the four tough case contenders, Otter, Gum, Seidio, and Griffin.

Going with the Gumdrop and sending back the OtterBox today!

marine0816

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2011
USA
No problem ..

I was going to get the gumdrop but the fact that it had no stand turned me away... Even though the survivor stand is crappy I rather have it then not.. But I think you can't go wrong with either.. Just stay way from otterbox, their losing their grip on the rugged mobile protection market, their iPad 2 case just got a poor design. If ain't broke don't fix it.

peter3

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2010
marine0816! Thanks for concluding my wait for the three most wanted pictures of Otterbox, Seidio and now the Survivor!

Seidio's my choice! Cheers! :)

peter3

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2010
To add, there is actually another "heavy weight" contender.

The Kensington BlackBelt Protection Band for iPad 2!

Not my taste. Just to add for your refrence.

Here is a pic of it.

leadimage.aspx

krick

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2009
The Kensington is just a bumper (albeit a very thick one). Unfortunately, it's way too flexible - if you pick up your iPad one handed by the band (which I imagine would be most of the time), it pulls/stretches away from the iPad body.

Inkmonkey

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2003
Calgary
Just got mine earlier this week. Anyone else have issues with "sweat" or blotches between the iPad screen and Survivor screen protector? I also have a film screen protector on the iPad so wonder if that's the issue.

9251bf70.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.