Griffin Technology: iTrip

Discussion in 'iPod Gear Discussion' started by iPodGear, Apr 17, 2005.

1. iPodGear macrumors bot

2. spencerwatts macrumors newbie

I bought an iTrip at Target recently, and much to my disappointment, I've not had that many chances to use it. I can't really get the hang of it, and I can never get it to go through to the radio (Okay, maybe once, but that was in the country.) It might be because all the frequencies are taken up by radio sations already, because I sure can't find an empty one. If this problem was removed, then surely it would be a top notch product.

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Bought one, piece of crap :mad: Never use it. £35 down the drain.

4. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Tell us how you really feel. I bought one. Hardly use it because I just rather burn my favorite songs on MP3 CD anyways and listen directly from the car stereo. And if you decide to buy one, you really have to buy the more expensive ones where you can change the frequency on the unit itself, without going into the whole iPod playlist thingie.

5. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i love my itrip i only use when driving boston to NY. it never goes out execpt for sometimes when i hit providence RI. It works well also around my school and at home.

6. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

i have the iTrip and it works fine for me because i'm not near a dense radio station area. I took it to San Francisco and tried it and it was basically useless. If you are near a city center dont bother with it. Use a direct cable to the stereo.

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

They're pretty bad. But if you can be bothered getting the equilibrium of iPod and sound system volume, plus the exact right location in relation to the sound system's aerial, they can be okay.

It's still a waste of money though.

8. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I've been highly disappointed in mine. I have no input jack on my car stereo, so I just put on the headphones. I do miss the fullness of the car speakers at times.

9. St Soichiro macrumors regular

You drive with headphones on! :eek:

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

What's the problem with that? You've just gotta make sure they're not up too loud so you can concentrate on the road.

11. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

It's illegal in most of the US.

12. narco macrumors 65816

narco

You guys are tough.

I bought an iTrip and it works great. Sure, every once in a while it'll get some interference, but that's very rare. I also live in the city of Los Angeles, so there are very few stations that work but it's still perfect.

Your best bet if you're having problems is to go on the Griffin website and download extra stations. I use 87.5 and 87.7 which are usually empty, even when going on road-trips.

I've had problems with the actual life span of the iTrip, though. I ordered one, 3 months later it broke and Griffin sent me a new one. They're just as fast as Apple's replacements, but you have to call a long distance number to get it sorted out. When the new unit arrived, it was broken as well. My sis just got one and when she pulled it off the iPod, all the guts came out too. Griffin is in the process of replacing that as well.

Fishes,
    narco.

13. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

I love my iTrip, personally. I've used it from MA to LA and everywhere in between and found that only near city centers was it unusable. For the most part, I was able to leave it on 87.9 the whole damn time and have radio-quality music of my choice.

14. St Soichiro macrumors regular

I've got to move :D

15. archosage macrumors newbie

My iTrip works great, I use it almost every day since I commute about an hour and a half everyday. The 87.9 default station is rarely taken wherever I go, I guess it depends on where you live in the country and the amount of radio stations. Whenever I pass by our local classical music station, there is interference and I hear the songs from the iPod and classical music mixed into one cluttered song.

16. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

If I ever run you over you can bet one of us is very lost. :p

17. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I bought mine in a Goodwill Store for $7.00. Seriously, in the original packaging and everything. They had two. Never really have gotten it to work though -- very difficult to find an open frequency in these parts.

18. el greenerino macrumors regular

19. iWillard macrumors regular

iWillard

I use my iTrip daily... it's how I listen to my iPod 95% of the time... (the other 5% being headphones and directly plugged into a reciever)

Works great, sounds great.... I only use 87.9, never change it, never need to...

20. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Heh, with all the people in this thread who're unhappy with theirs, PM me if you want to sell me one for a 3G full-size iPod... :D

21. Peel macrumors 6502a

Peel

I love mine. I use it daily while driving to work, and have taken it on road trips with out a problem. I'm going on a vacation to Europe (Netherlands and Scotland) in September, and plan to take it for the rental car. I've downloaded the extra stations for Europe (even decimals, 90.0, 90.2... etc.)from the Griffin website, so will have those available if needed.

I've found that the stations near the ends of the spectrum seem to have the best chance of being free.

22. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I'm surprised that so many peopole don't like the iTrip. I love mine. My cassette player in my car is broken, and there's no line in, so it's my only choice at the moment for connecting my iPod. I live in a city that has more radio stations than any other, and yet I get along fine with my iTrip. Ocassionally I get a little interference, but it's usually pretty minor. I use 87.9, BTW.

23. wako macrumors 65816

Only reason why I dont like mine is because it really degrades the quality of the music the farther away from the antenna you are. The iPod literally has to be right next to the antenna for you to get better sound quality.

Otherwise mine works fine :)

24. chokedamp macrumors newbie

Has anyone proved it in Spain (I'm from Madrid)? I've heard that for USA works fine, but that in Europe it's quite frustating to get it well tuned....