Groggy after Sleep

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by BicyclePunk, Jan 27, 2003.

1. BicyclePunk macrumors regular

I don' t know what is up, but my Dual 500 G4 with 10.2.3 seems to be getting really, really screwy and slow after it comes out of sleep mode. All kinds of odd things. My biggest problems are painfully slow speeds when opening a file off Fetch with BBedit. And it seems like iTunes is syrup. Anyone have any advice for me? Thanks.

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

repair permissions. if that doesn't work, you can try a couple of other fix-all solutions, but this one might require a reinstall... perhaps someone else has had similar experience and can help you more... also, check the Apple discussion forums for a fix, if this is a known problem...

pnw

3. BicyclePunk thread starter macrumors regular

Not familiar with repairing permissions. Is it difficult? Thanks.

4. goglamosh macrumors member

i have had this problem too. but i think it may be caused by the OS just slowing down after being up for a day or so. not for sure.

5. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    i kinda doubt that. my laptop literally NEVER goes off. It is only restarted for updates. she stays chugging the entire time.

6. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

log out and back in every once in a while. that can fix alot of speed issues.

7. FredAkbar macrumors 6502a

FredAkbar

It's actually pretty easy to do this. Go to your Applications-->Utilities folder, and open Disk Utility (I'm pretty sure you don't have to be started up from the CD or anything...though I'm not completely positive on that one). Click the First Aid tab, select a volume from the list of disks on the left, and click Repair Disk Permissions.

Sorry if I left out any techy stuff that works better (like the whole fsck -y thing...to be honest, I dunno what the heck that does :rolleyes: , but yeah, try to just do it in Disk Utility.)

8. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

9. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Yeah, my old iMac runs for weeks without a reboot, it just goes when there's an update. Or a power outage. usually i just put it to sleep, but i'm letting it fold at night, and it stays nice and quick- no grogginess, the way it should be.

Let us know if repairing permissions worked for you...

pnw

10. BicyclePunk thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, folks. I did the half-assed repair: booting from the jaguar disc and running Disc repair. It found and repaired one little thing (incorrect number of leafs???). That seemed to do it for now. I lef the computer alone for about 40 minutes. Came back, woke it up and everything was running ok. But I will let you know if it acts up again. Thanks for all the support.

11. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Just to keep everything straight about my post. The half assed repair is repairing from the running system. The full repair is booting off the installation disc.

12. BicyclePunk thread starter macrumors regular

Gotchya. But it doesn't matter because the machine is slowing down....and I discovered that this is happening while it is running and doing stuff. Not when after waking from sleep. Oh, man. Any ideas now? Thanks.

13. BicyclePunk thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, I am pretty confident that I repaired my permissions, but things are still really slowing down. Any more suggestions are more than welcome. Thanks!

14. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

have you checked the Apple Discussion Forums yet?

someone please post the fsck -y trick, i don't have instructions here and i've forgotten what keys to hold down...its not bloody likely that it will work, but it's worth a shot...

pnw

15. BicyclePunk thread starter macrumors regular

Gonna try the Apple discussions now. Don't know of the method of which you speak, by the way. Thanks!

16. beez7777 macrumors 6502a

beez7777

what exactly do fsck -y and reaparing permissions do?

17. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Okay to do the File System Check (FSCK) you need to restart the computer and hold down the Command(Apple) Key and the S key simultaneously. When you get a bunch of gobbleygook spouting across the screen reminiscent of a dos machine you can let go of the keys.

Once you get a prompt you type FSCK -Y. You don't have to type -Y but it tells it to automatically answer yes to all prompts.

After running FSCK if it comes back saying it repaired something run it again. Keep running FSCK until it says that there was nothing repaired. Once it says that nothing was repaired type, "reboot", to exit Single User Mode and startup the machine normally.

Repairing permissions is exactly what it sounds like. It repairs the permissions which tells the system what douments, apps, files can be used by what system components and what users. For some reason they get screwed up on occasion. I've never heard a clear answer for why they get messed up but they do and I hope Apple fixes the problem real soon. It appears that the permissions problem at least for me is the only real problem I ever have with OSX anymore.

18. BicyclePunk thread starter macrumors regular

Didn't try that, but I went to my local MicroCenter to buy Norton System Works. While there, I started talking to the Mac resident that happened to be working. He asked me if I am using an HP printer. No, but I just got a new HP scanner (ScanJet 3570c) that I installed on Sunday. Well...that was it. Here's what the HP site says:

Well, I am already running 10.2.3 and that didn't do it. And the workaround seems kind of a drag. My solution? Uninstall the HP software and return the scanner and get another.

I'm going to leave the machine on tonight and see if I see any degradation.

Thanks for all of your help!!!

19. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

While you're at it return Norton System Works. It WILL cause more problems then it fixes. I purchased it a couple months back installed it used it. I hated what it modified with no way of returning things to the way they were. I promptlly uninstalled it and sold it on eBay. Well now I'm trying to backup all my data so that I can reformat and finally return my kernel and everything else that Norton modified to there original form. I have been having non stop permissions failures ever since installing Norton and they result in hardware failures (i.e. mice not working, printers not working, etc..). I hate Norton and I hate what it's making me do now. OH!, and by the way my DVD burner hasn't worked properly since I installed it too. This is making backing up very difficult for me.

Oh, by the way I'm glad to hear you are finally getting it worked out. You see now why I asked multiple times about Print Center don't you?

20. BicyclePunk thread starter macrumors regular

Left the machine on all night and it is running just as swiftly as it can. Perfect. And thanks for the tip on the Norton. It's still in the shrink wrap, so that is going back.
    I can't say the same for the scanner. Unfortunately, I put the box out in recycling on Monday and it snowed last night. Box is shot. But I figure either HP or Apple will have this thing fixed soon.
    Thanks again to everyone for the help!

21. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Yeah don't worry about the scanner. HP scanners are excellent so I would just wait until they come out with a fix which will probably be very soon. It might even be fixed in 10.2.4. The problem has been around since 10.2 came out so I think they have had a long time to think about it. I think it was first noticed around 10.2.1or.2.

One more thing I left out the most important command when doing a File System Check (FSCK). After it is done to get out of Single User Mode you need to type, "reboot".