Ground Rules for the Windows-Macintosh War

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, May 26, 2005.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors newbie

CallMeCookie

Can someone copy paste ? I dont have a subscription and I dun want one either :s

3. macrumors 68040

Gasu E.

Original article

FROM THE DESK OF DAVID POGUE
    Ground Rules for the Windows-Macintosh War
    By DAVID POGUE

Published: May 26, 2005

<copyright material deleted, sorry!> :(

4. macrumors 68030

munkle

For future reference BugMeNot is a useful tool :)

Edit: beaten to it!

5. macrumors 601

Yvan256

Indeed, that's the thing that bugs me the most about OS X at the moment, along with some other inconsistencies about dialog boxes (most involving files). Does Tiger "fixes" that?

6. Guest

iGary

I really admire David Pogue, he's just a really good no-nonsense writer.

7. macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I think point 2 is the best one. Don't criticise unless you've used both. Although I think I might add 'unless you've used both to do similar tasks on similar hardware and current OS'

8. Guest

iGary

It is the best point. I've used both and I hate using Windows, a good portion of Windows user have never used OS X.

9. Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Nope... still has to rename from Finder...

Still, this doesn't bother me at all, so it's a non-issue as far as I'm concerned... ;)

10. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Nope. :( (EDIT: Beaten to it, but I did want to add, I really do like this feature. Need one OS that can do this as in Windows, and allows you to change the filename of an open file and have the opening program handle the change correctly, like in OS X....)

Nice article, although the point that you shouldn't criticize unless you've used both will weed an awful lot of people out of the pro-windows ranks! :rolleyes:

11. macrumors 6502a

Another thing that bugs me about OS X is, since I'm a keyboard user, not having the ability to delete a file by pressing the delete key. It's so much easier than dragging the file to the Trash or right clicking a file.

12. macrumors G4

Applespider

You can delete pressing Command and Delete rather than dragging or right clicking.

13. macrumors regular

press the Apple-delete key together

and you can delete stuff from your keyboard

14. macrumors 6502a

Just goes to show how much I still need to learn about OS X.

15. macrumors G4

Applespider

There are a lot of nifty tricks in OS X that aren't well documented; I think I learned most of them from hanging around here. Those 'command', 'option', 'control' keys can be very very useful if you're a keyboard junkie...

Here's a useful list of shortcuts ; glancing through there are things that I don't think I've used yet either! And it's missing the v useful ones - Command Control D dictionary shortcut from 10.4 and the Option Escape while typing to see a list of words - perhaps since they only work in Cocoa apps

16. macrumors regular

You can also modify shortcuts in the "Keyboard and Mouse" system preferences.

17. macrumors 65816

James Philp

does apple-delete not work for you? I use that all the time?

18. macrumors 65816

James Philp

That's a damn good list! It's amazing what you can find on the apple site!
    One of David Pogue's books on Tiger is highly recommended by me to all but the most experienced Mac user. (Meaning one that uses applescript & automator regularly). His Tiger book should be out soon, and I still may buy it even tough I have the 10.2 and 10.3 versions already - it's amazing how much can be different!
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...104-6339872-2163147?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

19. macrumors newbie

all good but

yeah yeah this is all good except that MSFT SUCKS and i hate them and bill gates cuz he is rich and i never want to use windows ever ever os x is better windows SUCKS!!!!!! :mad:

20. macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Granted, but on the other hand Macs can't connect to the Internet or run Excel. They're toys and only good for graphics. ;)

21. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Oooh, don't hate me because I'm beautiful, said the iBook! :p

22. hob
    macrumors 68020

hob

I never thought I'd say this, but after using Windows all my 19 years on this earth... I think that Viruses are my only major complaint with Windows! It's not a bad operating system, it's just not as great as OS X. OS X thinks the same way I think. I knew I loved it the first time I sat down, loaded up Internet Explorer (Safari wasn't out back then) highlighted a bunch of text and dragged it straight onto the desktop, where it made it into a text file!! :cool:

23. macrumors 6502a

feakbeak

Great article with valid points.

The ability to delete and rename files from within Save/Open dialog boxes in Windows is awesome. I often create new folders when using the Save dialog. It's not too difficult to go back to the Finder on OS X, but it is one of those nice usability things that Mac apologists so often rave about. Also, it is good to learn that Command + Delete will put a file in the Trash. Is there a keyboard shortcut to bypass the Trash can? In Windows you can Shift + Delete to instantly delete a file, bypassing the Recyle Bin, does OS X have something like this as well?

Also, Windows Explorer and Apple's Finder are notorious for being problematic. Windows Explorer seems to crash more often than Finder, but when Finder hangs up I am not always successful at force quitting and restarting it. In Windows there is an option to run each folder window as a separate process of explorer.exe - that way if one process crashes the rest of the explorer stuff is fine, such as your desktop and other folder windows. Is there a way to do the same thing for Finder?

I really enjoy using both OSes and I get irritated when people are completely on one side of the fence and are unwilling to hear rational arguments. I can still do more in Windows because I am so familiar with it. I've always enjoyed using OS X and the more little tricks I learn the more I like it. That keyboard shortcut list will certainly come in handy!

24. macrumors G4

wrldwzrd89

Interesting...I've never had any of these issues - either in Windows or Mac OS X. I don't use any of those options you mention on my Windows box, either - it seems to work just fine with the defaults. I also don't know of any ways to do the things you mentioned in Mac OS X.

25. macrumors 6502a

feakbeak

I may have overstated my Explorer/Finder issues. I'm not having them hang up/crash on me on a daily or even weekly basis. I have a hang up or crash maybe once every month or two. That's often enough to be problematic in my mind. Especially because when explorer crashes in Windows your desktop doesn't always come back! :eek: Changing that setting to have each instance run in a separate process takes care of that problem - unless, of course, the explorer process running your desktop crashes. That is why I was wondering if there was some equivalent setting for Finder in OS X. I've had it hang up twice on me so far and both times I couldn't restart it successfully and had to perform a hard reboot. Perhaps there are some tricks that would spare me from the hard reboot but I tried everything I know (Cmd+Opt+Esc to force quit, right-click on Finder Dock item and try to force-quit/restart) and nothing worked. Is there anything else that can be attempted when this happens?