Group buy for iPhone 4 unlocked from Canada or Mexico?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MaxBurn, Dec 6, 2010.

1. macrumors 65816

Nov 25, 2010
    Anyone ever do a group buy in crossing the border to get some unlocked phones?

Personally I am about 5 hours away from a cluster of three stores around Montreal so in theory I could pick up six phones assuming they don't check the two phone limit per customer across different stores. Is that two per day? Maybe pick up twelve? :D

Would they still sell an unlocked phone to a US credit card? I guess I could just pay cash, personal bank should give me a decent exchange rate.

Potential problems with border return? Not worried about taxation as I live in NH and we don't have sales tax, would be using a NH border crossing. Or is there something else I don't know about?

Reckon $85 in gas and another $130 for a hotel over night near the city. Time invested would be chocked up to a neat weekend.

At $775us per 32gb iPhone 4 + expenses = $4865/6= $811

On ebay these seem to be running $900 and higher with an occasional deal here and there.
  2. g35
    macrumors 6502

Dec 13, 2007
    With Quebec tax I think your total would rise about $100 per phone. Unless you somehow get the tax back when you go back to NH? I don't know how this works just wondering if you may have overlooked a cost - when you say no tax in NH you get QC tax back, too??
  3. macrumors 6502

Aug 22, 2008
    if a us resident stay for certain amoung of days in canada there is tax exemption.

but wouldn't apply in OP's case cuz he is bring back like 10-20 phone, no amoung of tax exemption would apply. not to mention it is quite obviously use for commercial profit which may meant actually = more tax on top if OP were to declare all of the phones
    dunt know if selling on ebay is a good idea. there's been alot of paypal chargebacks associated with iphone lately
  4. macrumors 6502a

Jun 20, 2010
    In Quebec... Add 5% to the total. Then add another 7.5% to that total

$779.00 + %5 = $817.95
    $817.95 + 7.5% = $879.30 CAD

btw it jumps from 7.5% to 8.5% on Jan 1st 2011.
    And since the USD and CAD currencies are pretty much the same now-a-days... You are not making much off by selling for $900 USD, not worth your troubles.
  5. thread starter macrumors 65816

Nov 25, 2010
    Well that was dumb of me, completely overlooked the local tax up there and apparently it is steep.

I was only thinking about getting as many phones as people would want here and only using eBay as a price comparison tool to sort of gauge what the market price is.

Ah well, I hope there are big changes in the AT&T partnership coming because that's about the only thing I really hate about the apple phone.